Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
Yes we must have different definitions. He averaged 17 and 6 in his first two years and that was him being the 3rd option on offense! He won ACC roty fair and square imo because nobody else stood out as much (Save for Kyrie but he got hurt early on). He scored the most points by a freshmen in the ACC tourny since Ford back in the 70's! Then in the NCAA tourny he scored more than any frshmen Tarheel in school history. Also had the most points scored in one game by a freshmen in the ACC tourny. Both years he was there they finished 1st in the regular season of ACC play.

Did he live up to the hype? LOL not even close! But to say his 2 year career was not outstanding seems to be a little biased. I may despise everything carolina but Barnes was a dang good player who happened to be on a tram with 2 of the best players in the country (Henson and Zeller and some may even say Marshall).
I think, as your post shows, that Harry was excellent at scoring, but only during the games that Kendal Marshall played PG. In the games prior to Kendall starting in year 1, and after Kendall got hurt in year 2, his scoring was significantly lower (an nowhere near excellent/outstanding). He was a below average defender, mediocre ball handler, and good not great rebounder. Even with the poor handle I was mystified at how terrible Barnes was at attacking the basket off the dribble. Head scratcher. In year one he was outstanding at hitting shots at or near the buzzer. Really outstanding. The 40 point tourney game against Clemson was outstanding. The next day, not so much.

Had he scored at the same level w/o Kendall as with, I think most people would agree he was really good in his two years. I would say that Kendall and Zeller were the real outstanding players in that group of heels.

Had Barnes taken the reins when Kendall went down, and dropped 20+ points the rest of the way, I think people would have a better opinion of him. Problem is, not only did he not do that he actually disappeared. Were it not for Bullock, they get beat by Ohio.

Honestly, Barnes was one of the strangest college players in a long time.