Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ichabod Drain View Post
    For another perspective Max Preps, run by CBS sports, has Jabari all the way down at #5. On a bright note though it has Matt Jones at #10. It's pretty impossible to judge credibility of these rankings. Even someone credible like Telep can muff stuff up. It's just interesting to see how they all vary.

http://www.maxpreps.com/news/llDKBon...13-top-100.htm
    I've seen Parker and Jones play in person (albeit for limited periods of time - certainly not as extensively as a recruiting site like MaxPreps), and I would say that a ranking that has Parker and Jones only five spots apart either underrates Jabari or overrates Jones. That's not a knock on Jones. It's just that Jabari seemed better in all facets, except spot up shooting.
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

Quote Originally Posted by gam7 View Post
    I've seen Parker and Jones play in person (albeit for limited periods of time - certainly not as extensively as a recruiting site like MaxPreps), and I would say that a ranking that has Parker and Jones only five spots apart either underrates Jabari or overrates Jones. That's not a knock on Jones. It's just that Jabari seemed better in all facets, except spot up shooting.
    So he's the anti-Barnes? Come to Duke, Jabari!
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Front Page Link

Sigh. It's bad enough that we have to read links to the idiots at Bleacher Report, but do we REALLY have to be subjected to the lameness of some tool named Eric D. Graham at blackathlete.net? My kids could write better than that when they were in elementary school. Really, this is like reading the illiterate comments that invariably accompany any story on major sites. Pathetic.

pretty bold tho....without venturing into PPB, and bad writing aside, he is definitely calling Parker out on this subject...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by slower View Post
    Sigh. It's bad enough that we have to read links to the idiots at Bleacher Report, but do we REALLY have to be subjected to the lameness of some tool named Eric D. Graham at blackathlete.net? Pathetic.
    I'm not sure that was really about Jabari. I think he was using Jabari to launch his attack on Mormonism. He seems more anxious in the article to grind his axe about the religion and point out what HE BELIEVES a black man should be.

Unfortunately writing about Young Mr Parker was just a vehicle to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by wilko View Post
    I'm not sure that was really about Jabari. I think he was using Jabari to launch his attack on Mormonism. He seems more anxious in the article to grind his axe about the religion and point out what HE BELIEVES a black man should be.

Unfortunately writing about Young Mr Parker was just a vehicle to do that.
    Honestly, I didn't read very much of the article. His writing is SO terrible that I just couldn't bear to continue.

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    pretty bold tho....without venturing into PPB, and bad writing aside, he is definitely calling Parker out on this subject...
    Moonpie, I have to pick a nit with your use of the word BOLD, it sound complimentary. I can’t agree with complimenting this person’s attack on JP’s (or anyone’s) religious beliefs.

I get real tired of seeing people blasted by other people because they hold different beliefs. Why does this person care where JP goes to church or how he chooses to worship. What difference does it make to him or anyone else?

Ok, the writer has a problem with the history of the Mormon Church and religion in general. I have a very simple solution for him, don’t go to church. If you feel the need to attack those institutions then limit your attack to the institution. But what an individual chooses to believe in or worship is none of his business and I for one do not care nor do I care what the writer thinks about that individual’s choice, so I must confess as to not reading the entire article, I needed to stop about two paragraphs in.

This may cross over into PPB, and if so please strike it, but the writer of this article must be one unhappy person. I think that as long as he is looking back at history he is going to be very depressed and unhappy with just about every nation, religion, political party, etc.. Why not choose to celebrate the gains and changes that have occurred and continue to build on those rather than wallow in the sins of the past?

well, i meant "bold" in the sense that he KNEW he was putting up a lightning rod for his comments...and did so anyway...

and yes, if you disagree with that church's religion "in general" you can just not attend that church....i think that he was pointing out the Mormonism "view" of blacks in general...he was taking it personally.
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    well, i meant "bold" in the sense that he KNEW he was putting up a lightning rod for his comments...and did so anyway...
    I guessed as much. Your posts are always enjoyable and I have a hard time finding anything to disagee with you on.

I think the guy is just full of bitterness and would take any chance at all to express that. Sad.

The center of the basketball universe (aka: North Carolina)
    Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post

I think the guy is just full of bitterness and would take any chance at all to express that. Sad.
    I completely agree. His was clearly looking for any avenue to spew his idiotic beliefs.

As I read the article I kept waiting for him ask "How can any black athlete play for a Southern university given the South's racist past?" That argument would hold about as much water as the one he made.

Either way, as a history teacher, I feel more proud of what I accomplish in my classroom with my students in terms of facing the ugly truths of our past and exploring the amazing changes that we as a nation have undergone simply because I feel confident that my students are much more aware of the complexities of life than Mr. Graham seems to be.

Very well said

Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post
    Moonpie, I have to pick a nit with your use of the word BOLD, it sound complimentary. I can’t agree with complimenting this person’s attack on JP’s (or anyone’s) religious beliefs.

I get real tired of seeing people blasted by other people because they hold different beliefs. Why does this person care where JP goes to church or how he chooses to worship. What difference does it make to him or anyone else?

Ok, the writer has a problem with the history of the Mormon Church and religion in general. I have a very simple solution for him, don’t go to church. If you feel the need to attack those institutions then limit your attack to the institution. But what an individual chooses to believe in or worship is none of his business and I for one do not care nor do I care what the writer thinks about that individual’s choice, so I must confess as to not reading the entire article, I needed to stop about two paragraphs in.

This may cross over into PPB, and if so please strike it, but the writer of this article must be one unhappy person. I think that as long as he is looking back at history he is going to be very depressed and unhappy with just about every nation, religion, political party, etc.. Why not choose to celebrate the gains and changes that have occurred and continue to build on those rather than wallow in the sins of the past?
    I felt this was totally of base. I agree he clearly has an issue with the Mormon church and white Christians in general. He is completely within rights to write about this issue. I just feel he should leave the young man out of it. What makes the author an expert on what ALL african american men should believe? Young people have enough struggles without having fight a religious battle as well.

In-home and ... UCONN?

Coach K will have an in-home with Jabari tonight. Hopefully K brings his gold medals, championship rings, and Jabari's favorite rapper.

On another note, apparently Jabari has added UConn to his list. Kind of an odd move given their recent academic troubles and his strong academic abilities (and desires). Long way to go on this one it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by dukedoc View Post
    Coach K will have an in-home with Jabari tonight. Hopefully K brings his gold medals, championship rings, and Jabari's favorite rapper.
    Luckily, TJ Fredette's appearance fee is much lower than Drake's.

In-Home visit???

Quote Originally Posted by dukedoc View Post

On another note, apparently Jabari has added UConn to his list. Kind of an odd move given their recent academic troubles and his strong academic abilities (and desires). Long way to go on this one it seems.
    Does anyone (without passing any specific information from pay sites or breaking confidentiality) have any idea on how the in-home visit went with Jabari and Coach K?

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    However, in the triangle basketball is a "religion" to some fans just a few miles down the road from Durham...
    As a true believer, baska-tized during the Freddie Lind Game (I'll always remember it for the oneness I felt with the universe), I assure you that the beautiful blue has its idolaters, too.

Go with Duke!!
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

The Chronicle is reporting that Jabari will visit Duke on October 27th.

Quote Originally Posted by Class of '94 View Post
    Does anyone (without passing any specific information from pay sites or breaking confidentiality) have any idea on how the in-home visit went with Jabari and Coach K?
    Without knowing anything about the actual visit, I can probably assure you that the visit went very well, coach K outlined how Jabari would fit in at Duke, coach K is a great communicator and it was great for Jabari and his family to speak with him and they had some good food.

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    Without knowing anything about the actual visit, I can probably assure you that the visit went very well, coach K outlined how Jabari would fit in at Duke, coach K is a great communicator and it was great for Jabari and his family to speak with him and they had some good food.
    I heard that the in-home went well and that K compared Jabari with Deng. Sounds like it was a very good visit.

Jabari gave an interview that said he's not sure why everyone thinks Duke and MSU are out in front, he likes them but he likes all his schools. Visiting MSU this weekend, as posted above, Duke 10/27.

Florida appears to be making some headway here as well.

dukemsu

Quote Originally Posted by TWRX5284 View Post
    Interesting. So KY appear out of the J. Parker sweepstakes. Kinda funny to see their fans' comments at the bottom - "we never really wanted him anyhow..."
    and..."our other recruits are better."

Out of curiosity, given Duke's interior needs coming up, does anyone know why we are not in play for (Scout-rated) no. 1 Center from 2013, Kennedy Meeks from Charlotte? He's 6'9" and 260+ lbs. Seems like we'd want in on a kid so close to home. He just had a supposedly great in-home with NC, and the KY fans really seem to think that he's theirs for the taking. His schools include: KY, NC@ch and Ohio State. Are we still actively after other big-time C's this year, such as Lee from CA?