Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 77devil View Post
    CIS and the Palestra were built by the same architectural firm, and share the same close to court seating/not a bad seat in the house characteristics.
    Remember the name, Julian Abele

This was from another thread --

Originally Posted by Kedsy

And which (if I'm not mistaken) was designed by the same architect who designed the Palestra.

Not true, although the interior is virtually identical to the Palestra. The Palestra opened in 1927 and was designed by Charles Klauder, a Philadelphia architect (1872-1938). The similarity to Cameron (opened in 1940) is not as obvious now after the paneling and other accoutrements added after 1992.

The listed architects are Horace Trombauer and Julian Abele (1881-1950). Trumbauer was the nominate partner in the law firm, and Julian Abele, an African-American, was the chief designer for the firm for 20 years. Abele is credited as the designer of the entire Duke West Campus, and specifically recognized for the Duke Chapel. He was the first A-A graduate of the Penn School of Architecture and studied extensively in Europe. One display on Abele I saw on the Penn campus 15 years ago claimed that he never visited the Duke campus. Yikes!

sagegrouse

"Home game" can be a very subjective term and it depends on who you ask, but unless something has changed, this will be an official Temple home game in the eyes of the selection committee and RPI. They only have three designations, no "semi home" ore any of that stuff. I don't have the rule in front of me (it's in the officials selection guidelines of someone wants to find it), but I believe that it is based on ticket sales and location. I think the ticket part has I do with it being available for Temple season tickets, but not Duke. Usually I try and find the rule, but I'm on my phone. Even if I'm to not quite right on the rule, I'm pretty certain that this goes down as a road game for tourney purposes. As a side note, Temple does not do this regularly like Nova. In the last 8 years or so, Duke is the only team to play a road game against Temple in the Wells Fargo center.

My experience with the buzz around here is the same as everyone: absolutely none. I will add though that in addition to college ball getting almost no buzz until March is the norm around here unless Someone really looks like a Final Four contender. It's too much of a pro sports town.

A bit off-topic here, but of interest to this former Philly area resident from way back:

Do they still have the Big 5 games? Held at the Palestra, Wells Fargo Center, or some combination?
    If I recall, the teams played only once against each other unless they were in the same conference, yet the competition and excitement was intense.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    A bit off-topic here, but of interest to this former Philly area resident from way back:

Do they still have the Big 5 games? Held at the Palestra, Wells Fargo Center, or some combination?
    If I recall, the teams played only once against each other unless they were in the same conference, yet the competition and excitement was intense.
    Looks like it.

Not sure how they handle the fact that Temple and Saint Joseph's are both in the A-10. I guess they just designate one of the matchups as a Big 5 game and alternate the site.

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Looks like it.

Not sure how they handle the fact that Temple and Saint Joseph's are both in the A-10. I guess they just designate one of the matchups as a Big 5 game and alternate the site.
    My recollection from the halcyon days of the Big 5 was that most, if not all, the games were played in the Palestra. No more. I have no idea when that changed as I have lived most of my life elsewhere since making the trek to Durham in the early '70s. Think of CIS filled half each with Duke and UNC students and fans facing each other-very, very loud and rocking.

When I attended these games in the late '60s and early '70's, the Big 5 was a big deal in college basketball with all 5 schools being national powers. That all changed as a lot of the areas top talent left the city to play elsewhere. The Big 5 is a shell of what it once was, and I would argue, exists in name only. The rivalries just aren't that important anymore. Some argue that Gene Banks' decision to attend Duke was the beginning of the end. It was a huge deal to the revitalization of the Duke program, as was discussed in other threads, but it was a huge blow to the Big 5 and Philadelphia city basketball. I wasn't here at the time but a sportswriter friend of mine at the Daily News told me Gene was under a lot of pressure to stay local.
    Last edited by 77devil; 01-04-2012 at 03:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    That's our lowest chance of victory until February when we play @VTech.
    I don't think Pomeroy takes injuries into account when he makes these determinations, right? If so, we have a bit more leeway than Pomeroy's ratings would suggest.

My recollection from the halcyon days of the Big 5 was that most, if not all, the games were played in the Palestra. No more. I have no idea when that changed...
    I believe it changed when Villanova built it's 6,500 seat arena in 1986 and then flat-out refused to play every Big 5 game at the Palestra. For a while, the other teams continued to play the games at the Palestra, perhaps thinking Villanova might change its mind, but when Nova stuck to its guns, the other teams decided they'd just as soon not have to play every Big 5 game on either Penn's or Villanova's campus.

This is all from rumor and memory, so I may not have every detail correct.

When I attended these games in the late '60s and early '70's, the Big 5 was a big deal in college basketball with all 5 schools being national powers.
    When I attended these games in the '80s, they were still a big deal. Villanova and Temple had some great teams, Penn was tops in the Ivy, and St. Joes and LaSalle had their moments as well. I remember watching Penn beat #3 in the nation Villanova at the Palestra in 1984 and it was really something.

I very interested in seeing how Austin and Cook perform against a quality veteran backcourt.

A lot of old-timers have memories about sneaking into the Palestra for Big 5 double headers.

Villanova (rightly or wrongly) gets most of the blame for the decline of the Big 5, but they really didn't have much of a choice to play the full home-and-home Big East slate plus four Big 5 games plus the usual pre-season cupcakes. To me, it was the combination of the Big East and ESPN TV broadening the horizons beyond the Schuylkill and Delaware rivers.

St. Joe's was the last Palestra die-hard; until this year, they played all their Big 5 "home" games at the Palestra. Last year, they refurbished their gym and added some seating, and last month they hosted Villanova on campus for the first time ever, and laid a 16 or 18 point beat-down on the Wildcats. With those results, I suspect some of the hard-core St. Joe fans would have been glad to kiss the Palestra good-bye years ago... That rivalry is still intense. So at this point, pretty much all Big 5 games are at on-campus gyms.

They tried to revive the Big 5 doubleheaders at the Spectrum several years ago, but at 17,000 seats, there was too much empty space in the upper deck. It was still a nice night of hoops, though.

Philly college basketball is still pretty special though; Drexel has been pretty good too. Certainly a nice fringe benefit when I started roosting here a long time ago; I try to catch at least one game there every season...

I was able to bring a Philly hoops guy to a game in Cameron back in the mid-90s; he walked into the gym and the first words out of his mouth were "It's an upside-down Palestra", referring to the bleachers at courtside and the seats upstairs.

Temple

Quote Originally Posted by subzero02 View Post
    I very interested in seeing how Austin and Cook perform against a quality veteran backcourt.
    I'm interested in: seeing how we defend the 3 point line. Temple like you say has a good backcourt. Another thing I'm looking forward to is seeing Miles continue his solid play. Not so much scoring, but playing good defense and rebounding. I think Seth has gotten his shooting eye back and look for a good game from him. I say Duke 79-Temple 70. GoDuke!

PA basketball

Quote Originally Posted by Turk View Post
    A lot of old-timers have memories about sneaking into the Palestra for Big 5 double headers.

Villanova (rightly or wrongly) gets most of the blame for the decline of the Big 5, but they really didn't have much of a choice to play the full home-and-home Big East slate plus four Big 5 games plus the usual pre-season cupcakes. To me, it was the combination of the Big East and ESPN TV broadening the horizons beyond the Schuylkill and Delaware rivers.

St. Joe's was the last Palestra die-hard; until this year, they played all their Big 5 "home" games at the Palestra. Last year, they refurbished their gym and added some seating, and last month they hosted Villanova on campus for the first time ever, and laid a 16 or 18 point beat-down on the Wildcats. With those results, I suspect some of the hard-core St. Joe fans would have been glad to kiss the Palestra good-bye years ago... That rivalry is still intense. So at this point, pretty much all Big 5 games are at on-campus gyms.

They tried to revive the Big 5 doubleheaders at the Spectrum several years ago, but at 17,000 seats, there was too much empty space in the upper deck. It was still a nice night of hoops, though.

Philly college basketball is still pretty special though; Drexel has been pretty good too. Certainly a nice fringe benefit when I started roosting here a long time ago; I try to catch at least one game there every season...

I was able to bring a Philly hoops guy to a game in Cameron back in the mid-90s; he walked into the gym and the first words out of his mouth were "It's an upside-down Palestra", referring to the bleachers at courtside and the seats upstairs.
    When I was in the US Army serving in Hawaii and then VietNam, I had a good friend named James Buscavage from Pennsylvania who happened to like Duke basketball. However his number one team was Temple. We tried to follow Duke and Temple when we could. Back then there was no ESPN but we heard some games on the Armed Services network. I often wonder if he still follows Duke and Temple. We both loved those Bubas teams. GoDuke!

Sitting here I'd guess about 90% full with 40% blue shirts. Big ime wine and cheese duke crowd though. Temple students making any king of consistent noise.

Miles is playing great... BEAUTIFUL post move.

Miles!!!

MP1 is a beast tonight but our guards are getting manhandled so far.

duke is not focused tonight....too many chippys missed...layups, close in, temple is disrupting everything that duke is trying it seems except mp1....

i got a bad feeling about how this is going...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

So glad to see we finally went small. We need to stay in a four guard type mode all night. MP1 and MP2 should not be on the floor at the same time for the rest of this game.

Kinda alarming how easy Temples penterating past the guards

got half time adjustments...??
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

According to the wonderful announcers, Duke SGs stand for small guards.

How do you get out rebounded by a team playing small most of the first half. We got to play with more heart.

Quote Originally Posted by chadlee989 View Post
    So glad to see we finally went small. We need to stay in a four guard type mode all night. MP1 and MP2 should not be on the floor at the same time for the rest of this game.
    Hmmm I was just thinking that we cannot afford to go with 3 guards. Seth, AR and Tyler/QC is not a good matchup defensively against their guards. We need either AR and Dre in together with Seth/TT/QC or possibly SG with 2 small guards. I don't see our bigs being a weak spot tonight. Mason and Ryan have gotten beat off the boune a couple times but our size is causing them a lot of trouble too. I see our biggest weakness tonight as our size matching up with them at the 1-3 spots. Neither TT or Seth have enough quickness to beat their bigger more physical guards so advantage Temple. Honestly QC has been dominated too.