Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

MBB: Duke vs Temple Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

Duke has opened as a 7.5 point favorite with the over/under set at 148. That equates to a 78-70 victory for Duke:

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-...dds/las-vegas/

The game is at the Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia so it is technically a neutral site game. Temple starts three 6'4" guards so we will have a chance to see how our perimeter performs against larger players. Mason Plumlee, Ryan Kelly and Miles Plumlee will have a size advantage in the front court.

Here are the game notes from GoDuke.com:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...DB_OEM_ID=4200

The game is being broadcast on ESPN2 at 7 pm with Carter Blackburn (play-by-play) and Jimmy Dykes (analyst) as announcer.
    Bob Green

As long as Mark Macon isn't playing, or Bill Cosby doesn't have a sweatshirt bet on the game, I'm feeling pretty good.

(Perhaps K's first big tourney upset -- still remember watching that during "beach week" and marveling at Billy King's lock-down. But I digress).

Interesting to see who dominates the boards this game as Duke rebounds 37 times a game while Temple rebounds 36 times a game. Micheal Eric averages a double double with 10.5 ppg and 11.3 rebounds a game so Im eager to see if the Plums and Ryan Kelly and Hairston can out rebound him. Also Anthony Lee is 6'9 and averages close to 6 rebounds a game so it looks like due to our height we should out rebound them in this game which should be key. We need to score down low in this game and use our height to our advantage. Temple has 3 guards who all average more than 13 ppg so Seth, Quinn, Thorton, Rivers and Dawkins better be ready to play some defense. This might be a much tougher game than most people see, but I still see Duke winning by 10 or more points. Lets hope so...Go Duke!!!

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    As long as Mark Macon isn't playing, or Bill Cosby doesn't have a sweatshirt bet on the game, I'm feeling pretty good.

(Perhaps K's first big tourney upset -- still remember watching that during "beach week" and marveling at Billy King's lock-down. But I digress).
    Jell-o pud-ding: clap, clap, clap/clap/clap.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    The game is at the Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia so it is technically a neutral site game.
    Is this true? Not sure how many games Temple is scheduled to play at Wells Fargo this year, but I was under the impression that this still counts as a Temple home game.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdukeboi22 View Post
    Micheal Eric averages a double double with 10.5 ppg and 11.3 rebounds a game so Im eager to see if the Plums and Ryan Kelly and Hairston can out rebound him.
    I'm not sure Michael Eric is playing tomorrow. He has been injured and from what I've seen it's unlikely he's going to suit up. If he does play it will be his first game back after a month and a half layoff.

lets hope Micheal Eric doesn't play then well really dominate(should at least ) the boards

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdukeboi22 View Post
    Micheal Eric averages a double double with 10.5 ppg and 11.3 rebounds a game...
    Eric re-injured his right patella in late November - same injury that caused him to miss last 10 games last season - and was to be out of action for about 6 weeks. According to the Temple site game notes, he's out another couple of weeks. Lots of useful info on this site; recommend EK posters check it out. Scroll down for info on Eric.

http://www.owlsports.com/documents/2...uke_010412.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Is this true? Not sure how many games Temple is scheduled to play at Wells Fargo this year, but I was under the impression that this still counts as a Temple home game.
    According to Temple's schedule, the Duke game is the only one which will be played at Wells Fargo Center:

http://www.owlsports.com/schedule.aspx?path=mbball

The game is listed in italics as are the early season games which were played in Puerto Rico and the A10 Tournament games, which indicates neutral site games. The home games are in bold type and the away games in regular type. My interpretation is this is a neutral site game.
    Bob Green

Neutral site in the same way the Verizon Center is neutral vs Maryland.

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    Quote Originally Posted by gwlaw99 View Post
    ...but we don't play Maryland at Verizon, so what's the point?

This game scheduling is unlike any in recent years, in that we are playing a random non-con game in the opposing team's city but not their home arena. Games against Georgetown and St. John's are at their regular home NBA-style arenas, and against Butler in the tournament was in the postseason.

Quote Originally Posted by Dev11 View Post

This game scheduling is unlike any in recent years, in that we are playing a random non-con game in the opposing team's city but not their home arena. Games against Georgetown and St. John's are at their regular home NBA-style arenas, and against Butler in the tournament was in the postseason.
    Except that Duke has been playing Temple in the First Union/Wachovia/Wells Fargo Center for a full decade. Duke played Villanova there shortly after the building opened as the CoreStates Center.

I'm not sure Michael Eric is playing tomorrow. He has been injured and from what I've seen it's unlikely he's going to suit up. If he does play it will be his first game back after a month and a half layoff.

Hi, Kedsy and Happy New Year to you and the other forum posters.

Is this game getting much buzz in the Philadelphia area?
    Good crowd expected?
    Temple given a good chance by the local media?

Seems to me like this game will be a real good gauge on our current level of development.

Talking Ahem. Home and Home?

Quote Originally Posted by Dev11 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by gwlaw99 View Post
    According to Temple's schedule, the Duke game is the only one which will be played at Wells Fargo Center:

http://www.owlsports.com/schedule.aspx?path=mbball

The game is listed in italics as are the early season games which were played in Puerto Rico and the A10 Tournament games, which indicates neutral site games. The home games are in bold type and the away games in regular type. My interpretation is this is a neutral site game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Except that Duke has been playing Temple in the First Union/Wachovia/Wells Fargo Center for a full decade. Duke played Villanova there shortly after the building opened as the CoreStates Center.
    "Home game" means a game in the team's home arena dominated by the teams fans.

"Home nets" means a game in the home arena but, as in a conference tournament, with no home crowd. It is still an advantage. For example, it was no accident that, in the SoCon/early ACC days, Duke had an advantage in the tournaments played in the Indoor Stadium but State won most of the tournaments when they moved to Reynolds.

"Home cooking" means a game in a nearby arena -- i.e., which does not involve travel.

"Home crowd" means a game at an arena dominated by your own fans. Duke vs. Baylor at the Houston regionals in 2010 is one example. Fact is, Houston is a lo-n-n-n-ng way from Waco in both distance and culture. And I have attended a couple of the Duke games in Philadelphia, and the Duke fans, while not a majority, were evident and vocal.

I know I am missing some categories, but this is a start.

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post

Good crowd expected?

Seems to me like this game will be a real good gauge on our current level of development.
    It's getting buzz in the sort of way that most people know it's happening (even non-basketball fans) but not too many people are talking about it. Philadelphia's relationship with Duke is interesting, in that there are a lot of Duke alum but it's also a Big East town so there's a lot of Duke hate.

From what I can gather, nobody's giving Temple much of a chance in the game, in large part because of injuries to Michael Eric and Scootie Randall (who may redshirt). Temple will either come out nervous or fighting, hopefully the latter, but I'm not sure they have it in them to actually win the game.

I do expect a pretty good crowd, probably half and half. My son, brother, nephew, and I will be in section 123.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post

Good crowd expected?

No buzz whatsoever in Philly (other than whatever made today's papers.)

Dick Jerardi is the main college hoops writer in town:
    http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...ops_again.html

Mike Jensen is next in line (allegedly responsible for inflicting the term "bracketologist" on an unsuspecting world). His piece revolves around Zoubek's take:
    http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...FF_CAMPUS.html

Main buzz has been train wreck of Eagles season, future of Andy Reid and coaching staff, plus Flyers and hype over Winter Classic hockey game. College hoops mostly in the background right now; Temple lost a couple key guys to injury (one most likely to redshirt), Villanova not very good in a rebuilding year, St. Joe's much improved but still under the radar; LaSalle and Penn afterthoughts...

Crowd should be good; appears to be sellout with a few hundred tix available on secondary sites. Dunphy is a very good coach but expectations are low due to the injuries. Should be sizable Duke presence in the stands (I'll guess 20-25% - counting 4 Duke fans in section 210).
    "Quality is not an option!"

Anybody else nervous?

It's getting buzz in the sort of way that most people know it's happening (even non-basketball fans) but not too many people are talking about it. Philadelphia's relationship with Duke is interesting, in that there are a lot of Duke alum but it's also a Big East town so there's a lot of Duke hate.

From what I can gather, nobody's giving Temple much of a chance in the game, in large part because of injuries to Michael Eric and Scootie Randall (who may redshirt). Temple will either come out nervous or fighting, hopefully the latter, but I'm not sure they have it in them to actually win the game.

I do expect a pretty good crowd, probably half and half. My son, brother, nephew, and I will be in section 123.
    Temple is a good, well coached team, so I don't expect an easy game. Temple's veteran guards worry me. (And last year's game at Cameron wasn't easy, either.)

I'm a little worried, but I hope Duke's size and depth will be a problem for the Owls, especially if Duke is able to push the tempo.

Quote Originally Posted by Turk View Post
    Dick Jerardi is the main college hoops writer in town:
    http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...ops_again.html
    Complimentary article on coach K here.

Wells Fargo

The game is at the Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia so it is technically a neutral site game.

Just went through the January through March schedule for Wells Fargo and this is Temple's only game here. Villanova plays 4 games here in that time frame.

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    This is correct. These games are about revenue for the local schools and their arenas hold about the same as CIS. I noticed that Maryland is playing Temple later this month in the Palestra. That would be a great venue for tonight but not big enough for the ticket demand. CIS and the Patestra were built by the same architectural firm, and share the same close to court seating/not a bad seat in the house characteristics.

Pomeroy has Duke by 5 (77-72) with a 68% chance of victory.

That's our lowest chance of victory until February when we play @VTech.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est