Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

MBB: Duke 85, Penn 55 Post-Game Thread

Discuss the game here.
    Bob Green

I (heart) Quinn Cook.

Defense looked better.

We are versatile.

Quinn is making a very strong case to be the starting pg right now. 9 assists and 0 turnovers in just 22 minutes. Can't wait to see if he can keep up that level of play in the ACC season.

I hope Miles takes some confidence from this. We are much better when he elevates his game.

Quin, Tyler both looked good. Ryan was money.

I'm getting aboard the train too. I understand all the arguments about the strength of our last few opponents and sample size, and I think those are valid and reasonable points, but... it sure does seem like just a matter of time before Cook is starting.

From what I have been able to tell about Quinn.
    He excels at generating good ball movement. Finding outlets on the wing and penetrating for his own shot. (Nice for Austin to have help on that) But one thing I'd like to see is him feeding the post more often. Drive and dish, finding an angle for an entry... Like to see a bit more from the him (And the REST of the guards on this for that matter).

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    I'm getting aboard the train too. I understand all the arguments about the strength of our last few opponents and sample size, and I think those are valid and reasonable points, but... it sure does seem like just a matter of time before Cook is starting.
    Count me in! Cook should start next game. His floor vision and ability to find open bigs/shooters and deliver the ball in rhythm is GREAT, not just good - much better than anyone on the current roster. TT should be a spark off the bench...

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I hope Miles takes some confidence from this. We are much better when he elevates his game.

Quin, Tyler both looked good. Ryan was money.
    Over the past few games, I think (hope) that Miles "got it". He's been playing very well... to me, he could be the "senior-Zoubs" of this year's team. And I hope for the same result too

Quote Originally Posted by feldspar View Post
    I (heart) Quinn Cook.

Defense looked better.

We are versatile.
    You mean I BLUE HEART.jpeg Quinn Cook.

My son thinks he's the next Nolan Smith. Hmm. Meanwhile, I'd stay with TT as the starter for now.

Here are several post game videos with Kelly, Mason, Seth and Quinn - http://bluedevilnation.net/2012/01/b...win-over-penn/ You have to love Kelly having a double-double in26 min, and Mason as well. And then there is Quinn Cook, 17 assists and no turnoveres in the last two games.

Surprises and some takeaways from tonights game

Ryan Kelly went 4-4 from the 3 point line and had a double double with 18 points and 12 rebounds
    Rivers struggled going 3-8 and had only 8 points
    Mason Plumlee had a double double with 14 rebound and 10 points
    Miles Plumlee played great and Duke out rebounded Penn 45-24

After playing 3 cupcakes in a row I am eager to see if we continue to improve and dominate a Temple team wednesday night that needed overtime to beat this same Penn team 73-67 in their first game of the year. Duke should win the game pretty handily and should have a lot of confidence before opening ACC play on the road against Georgia Tech

Quote Originally Posted by watzone View Post
    Here are several post game videos with Kelly, Mason, Seth and Quinn - http://bluedevilnation.net/2012/01/b...win-over-penn/ You have to love Kelly having a double-double in26 min, and Mason as well. And then there is Quinn Cook, 17 assists and no turnoveres in the last two games.
    Quinn really proved some people wrong who said he was going to be an attitude problem (from them seeing him getting upset in high school; he was a senior leader who wanted to win for his school... BAD!).

I hope he gets comfortable enough to start breaking out like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7O3-bVT5jE

He is just another level of smooth at times. Those one handed bounce passes just leave me in awe sometimes (one from half court today).

New style of play

I like the up-tempo game we've played the last two games. We've scored a lot of easy baskets and it seems to energize our defense. With Quinn getting major minutes I think we can continue this trend in ACC play.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdukeboi22 View Post
    I am eager to see if we continue to improve and dominate a Temple team wednesday night that needed overtime to beat this same Penn team 73-67 in their first game of the year. Duke should win the game pretty handily and should have a lot of confidence before opening ACC play on the road against Georgia Tech
    Careful. Road games are very hard, Temple is undefeated at home, and returns a bunch of players from a team that went to the tournament last year (and won a game in it).

Quote Originally Posted by WiJoe View Post
    You mean I BLUE HEART.jpeg Quinn Cook.

My son thinks he's the next Nolan Smith. Hmm. Meanwhile, I'd stay with TT as the starter for now.
    Our "point guard" today played 39 minutes (yea, I know they played some together), was 4/8 FG, had 3 boards, 1 steal, 10 A, 1 TO, 2 PF and 11 points. I'll take it. All season long.

Report from someone who attended the game?

The best I could get was game tracker tonight, so I would be grateful to hear the view of someone who was at the game. From game tracker, it seemed that we rebounded well and played well defensively. The areas in question from what I could glean from game tracker were;
    1. Our bigs seemed to have trouble getting balls to fall when near the baskets. Lots of tip ins and even a slam dunk were missed and the bigs got the ball taken away as few times. Is that a correct understanding?
    2. It appears the Penn guards were pretty good and also quite active. They too seemed to turn some of our guards over a few times.
    3. Quinn was very good again with his floor vision and passing and is excellent with ball security. Lots of assists and no turnovers again against guards who were turning others over.

Quote Originally Posted by Waynne View Post
    I like the up-tempo game we've played the last two games. We've scored a lot of easy baskets and it seems to energize our defense. With Quinn getting major minutes I think we can continue this trend in ACC play.
    We only had 6 transition points tonight. Not a lot considering the emphasis on pushing the ball. The changes I saw were the offense being initiated (meaning initial ball screen) earlier in the shot clock and guys making hard moves in order to get shots up quickly. It's not as much a fast break game plan as it is a secondary break one. They are making moves while the defense is back but not yet set.
    I will be interested in seeing how effective it is vs. Temple, a better team than Penn and WM.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    I will be interested in seeing how effective it is vs. Temple, a better team than Penn and WM.
    Ken Pomeroy has Temple ranked at #44 which is significantly higher than Penn at #158. However, the Owls needed overtime to defeat the Quakers.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Ken Pomeroy has Temple ranked at #44 which is significantly higher than Penn at #158. However, the Owls needed overtime to defeat the Quakers.
    Bob, but Monmouth is #329 Pomeroy which is 10 spots better than Nicholls State's #339, lol. GoDuke!

I couldn't help but notice that one of the game announcers picked up on a point that I've been a broken record on throughout the season, but DBR posters have been too busy being self-congratulatory to comment on. The announcer said something along the lines of "The last time that Duke had more turnovers than assists in games like they have had most of this year, they exited the NCAA tournament in the first round." Enjoy that ranking and the Sports Center highlights...that may be all we have to show for the season besides blowouts against inferior teams. Your speculations about playing time, point guards, etc. will matter little if that "minor" item isn't addressed...we ended up on the right side of the balance sheet tonight but we need to take care of that business consistently. Pretending that that isn't an important issue could prove deadly. Quinn Cook is doing his level best to tilt the stat column in the right direction as of late.