Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnboy View Post
    Mine was not intended as a complete list, just examples from off the top of my head - you strengthened my argument - thanks!

Incidentally, I don't think I've ever heard "Western Shore" used except in contrast to the Eastern Shore (e.g., Q: "Is Galesville on the Eastern Shore?" A: "No, it's on the Western shore."). Wikipedia agrees with me.
    Whenever I tell people where Galesville is (which isn't too infrequent, since my dad and his twin brother keep their sailboat there), I usually say "It's on the Bay a little south of Annapolis". Not sure I've used the phrase Western Shore, but I suppose it works.

Galesville, Shady Side, Deale . . .

Quote Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
    Whenever I tell people where Galesville is (which isn't too infrequent, since my dad and his twin brother keep their sailboat there), I usually say "It's on the Bay a little south of Annapolis". Not sure I've used the phrase Western Shore, but I suppose it works.
    My (late) grandfather's place is in Shady Side (it's still in the family), where we went every summer and every Thanksgiving when I was growing up. I still have family in the area, including Galesville and Annapolis. I'm from Virginia, but everyone from the Chesapeake Bay region knows where the Eastern Shore is.

I just couldn't resist responding to the comment calling UM-Eastern Shore a "goofy name" - not if you know where it is!

OldPhiKap - I never realized Page and Plant were referring to the Chesapeake Bay! <grin>

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Well, the Delmarva peninsula has six senators -- two each from Del., Md, and Va. I don't see a movement forming to reducing the number to two. The rationale, if there were one, would be that Delaware thrives on being the state of registry of virtually all large companies, earning fees that allow it to operate without a sales or income tax. Of course, doubling the population (or whatever) may spread those benefits a little thin.

sagegrouse
    DE has had income taxes since at least 1979 (when I filed for the first time). As for the lack of sales tax, while individuals don't pay a sales tax it was a wide-spread belief when I was growing up that the businesses paid a sales tax. There were plenty of times we would go into PA, MD, or heaven forbid, NJ to get items because they were cheaper.

As for representation, I think it's hyperbole to argue that the residents of Delmarva are represented by 6 senators. Maybe they are from a strict definition, since they get to vote on them. But, I find it hard to accept the idea that the residents of the Delmarva peninsula see substantial benefits from those 6 senators. From a strictly proportional point of view there are only 9 of 23 MD counties and 2 of 95 VA counties on the peninsula. And maybe you could argue that the Eastern Shore is important enough for the MD senators to make the area a top priority. But, I think you would be hard-pressed to argue that the VA senators make the residents of the Delmarva peninsula a top priority.

daily double

So after reading this thread, could one say that it just depends on the question? The fellow in this article is from Northern Delaware and is good at jeopardy: http://www.npr.org/2011/11/20/142569...-with-jeopardy

It really makes me wonder if Ken Jennings, the previous jeopardy record setter, used similar methods but just didn't reveal them.

Quote Originally Posted by tele View Post
    So after reading this thread, could one say that it just depends on the question? The fellow in this article is from Northern Delaware and is good at jeopardy: http://www.npr.org/2011/11/20/142569...-with-jeopardy

It really makes me wonder if Ken Jennings, the previous jeopardy record setter, used similar methods but just didn't reveal them.
    I know we're getting a little off-topic now, but I watched the game that is in the embedded youtube clip in that link. Incredibly and ballsy.

Here's the direct link for those who are interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRwK8SyVeJE

Delmarva Won't Need a State Flag

Quote Originally Posted by hughgs View Post
    DE has had income taxes since at least 1979 (when I filed for the first time). As for the lack of sales tax, while individuals don't pay a sales tax it was a wide-spread belief when I was growing up that the businesses paid a sales tax. There were plenty of times we would go into PA, MD, or heaven forbid, NJ to get items because they were cheaper.

As for representation, I think it's hyperbole to argue that the residents of Delmarva are represented by 6 senators. Maybe they are from a strict definition, since they get to vote on them. But, I find it hard to accept the idea that the residents of the Delmarva peninsula see substantial benefits from those 6 senators. From a strictly proportional point of view there are only 9 of 23 MD counties and 2 of 95 VA counties on the peninsula. And maybe you could argue that the Eastern Shore is important enough for the MD senators to make the area a top priority. But, I think you would be hard-pressed to argue that the VA senators make the residents of the Delmarva peninsula a top priority.
    Good. I learned something. The marginal tax rate in Delaware is 6.95%, higher than Virgina, Colorado and other states.

My point on the six senators and on the typical diverse lands and people within states is that it is not at all common for like people in the very same region to constitute a state, and there are good reasons why not. WRT the six senators, when you want to build a bridge or two or three over the broad Chesapeake Bay to the Atlantic littoral on the Eastern shore, it "shore" helps to have six interested US Senators.

sage