This quote from the most recent ACC roundup was striking to me:
This always seemed like a goofy name, not least of all because it’s actually closer to the Chesapeake Bay than it is to the Atlantic. However, Maryland of course has three shores. We’ve never had any conception of where it actually is until we looked it up. How about Maryland-Middle Shore? Makes more sense.
Maryland-Middle Shore is the goofy suggestion, but it's an honest mistake grown out of ignorance of local parlance. Allow me to attempt a correction. In Maryland (at least, in the most populated Eastern portion of Maryland), the Chesapeake Bay is the dominant geographical feature. In local terms, the Bay has a Western Shore (that's where Annapolis is located, for example) and an Eastern Shore. Accordingly, the term "Eastern Shore" refers to the Eastern Shore of the Chesapeake Bay. Residents of those portions of Maryland and Virginia that surround the Bay all refer to the Eastern Shore in this way. It has nothing to do with the geography of the entire state, but of the Chesapeake Bay. The suggestion of "Middle Shore" is, well, nonsense (not "more sense") to people familiar with Maryland, because the Bay only has two shores.

It takes some chutzpah to suggest to people who live in a place that their own place names are "goofy". If you want "goofy" place names, consider this interesting North Carolina phenomenon: the City of Beaufort is the County seat of Carteret County; the City of Washington is the County seat of Beaufort County; the City of Plymouth is the County seat of Washington County; the City of Lenoir is the County Seat of Caldwell County and the City of Kinston is the County seat of Lenoir County. So when you say "Lenoir" you might mean the County down east or you might mean the City over 250 miles away in the mountains. I won't say this is goofy, but it can be confusing. Where is Beaufort Regional Health System located? Washington, of course!