Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.

MBB: Duke 90, UNC-G 63 Post-Game Thread

Put your post-game thoughts here.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

This game was Quinn's. Austin and Mason played very well, Andre hit shots, Gbinije showed that he is going to be able to do more than expected by some, and Hairston hit some good shots, but this was Quinn's application to the PG spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Gthoma2a View Post
    This game was Quinn's. Austin and Mason played very well, Andre hit shots, Gbinije showed that he is going to be able to do more than expected by some, and Hairston hit some good shots, but this was Quinn's application to the PG spot.
    Well, it was vs. Greensboro. I'd like to see really good D, a consistent jumper and some leadership qualities over the course of several games before I'm willing to make the leap. He earned some more minutes, now let's see some consistency.

Super "OMG Quinn!" Dave

After a rather sluggish first half, we played much better in the 2nd half. The first half high lights were the 3s we hit to shake a pesky unc-G squad. As for the 2nd half, it looked like the Quinn Cook show. When Tyler got that 4th foul, Quinn came in and played very well offensively and defensively. Good game from Mason and Andre as well. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by Gthoma2a View Post
    Cook had a good second half and I without a doubt think he is our point guard of the future, but this wasn't his game (meaning he wasn't the difference-maker). He didn't score until we were up 18 and had early turnovers. In the first half, I actually came to understand why we need Tyler out there. In such a sloppy mess, he was the only one taking care of the ball and not forcing bad plays. Cook is definitely a better bball player, and I hope he lights it up in the future, but I think at this point, the team needs someone more stable with the ball.
    "Shout out to this clock right here that's telling us what time it is." - Dre

Greensboro was shooting 47% at the half, but only finished at 41% so our D improved. I'd attribute most of the difference in play to hustle. Greensboro won the hustle battle the first 10 minutes, we won it most of the final 30. Not sure there's any grand conclusions to draw from tonight.

Slow Start

I expected rust, but this was malaise. Getting outhustled, big guys bringing the ball down and getting stripped, poor passing and a lot of turnovers. After exams, they are likely to come out slow, but this was worse than I expected. It took a great deal of the first half to get going, with the defense really leading the way by slowing them down and then we hit a few threes and were off to the races.

The good
    Much better defense in the second half, until we really mixed some inexperienced players in. Great bench support, one might say better than the starters in some cases. Good shooting.
    Quinn Cook looked really good at point, and it wasn't only his scoring. He handles the ball extremely well and has the best ball security of any of our guards. He also made very good decisions and passes out of the point.
    While Miles started the game weakly, he became a defensive and rebounding force out there. I thought he had regressed during part of the first half, but one has to appreciate his defense and rebounding. Too bad there were no points though.
    Michael looked good off the bench. You can see him being a help going forward. He can defend, handles well for his size and can get his shots off.
    Mason was a beast out there scoring and rebounding.
    Ryan started slowly but played a good game after the first 10 minutes.
    Austin picked up 14 points quietly. They weren't letting him penetrate often so he went to the 3 pointer.
    Dawkins also chipped in with scoring and defended well once the first part of the games blues passed.

Not so good
    Mason's foul shooting
    Way too many turnovers,. I was particularly surprised by Seth's propensity to turn the ball over and compound the problem with a foul.

Coming out of the game, coach K should have no issue playing Quinn at point for extended minutes and subbing Michael in as well.This team will need to come ready to play and perhaps this game can be used as a teaching moment for games to follow.

Surprised at how much holding and shoving the refs were pointedly overlooking. Ryan and his guy were yapping and banging all up and down the court. The rugby scrum for the ball in 2nd half with Miles in the center of it all was rather acrobatic. Too many of our guys were thrown to the floor after arm locks.
    And I still dislike Wes Miller.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Well, it was vs. Greensboro. I'd like to see really good D, a consistent jumper and some leadership qualities over the course of several games before I'm willing to make the leap. He earned some more minutes, now let's see some consistency.

Super "OMG Quinn!" Dave
    I have been sold on him since I saw him lead Oak Hill the tournament after the McDonald's All American game. He plays with passion and skill. I think that he is the best combination of both that we have. We will see how it holds up.

I have lobbied for Quinn

On this board...tonight he stepped up. hopefully K will give him some more PT so he can develop his game and grow his D.

Not saying we hand him the keys, but he deserves to be in the rotation.

Tale of two halves for Quinn. He was shaky with the ball in the first half but got his groove on big-time in the 2nd half. The Plums especially Mason took advantage of their size advantage and Austin was a killer when everyone else was in a funk. Seth seems like he's struggling a bit with finding his role. Ryan also isn't having the sort of impact he showed early on. This was a good confidence builder game for Josh and SG too. Count me among those who are hoping QC can earn more of TT minutes going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    Tale of two halves for Quinn. He was shaky with the ball in the first half but got his groove on big-time in the 2nd half. The Plums especially Mason took advantage of their size advantage and Austin was a killer when everyone else was in a funk. Seth seems like he's struggling a bit with finding his role. Ryan also isn't having the sort of impact he showed early on. This was a good confidence builder game for Josh and SG too. Count me among those who are hoping QC can earn more of TT minutes going forward.
    For what its worth...Seth and Ryan are apparently both nursing injuries, Ryan a calf, and Seth an ankle...hopefully the slow schedule through the Holidays gives them a chance to heal up

Quinn was on fire in the second half. I think he really opened some eyes today. I'm not sure he should start, but he should definitely play many minutes every game.

I think Miles needs to play more. He brings so much toughness and rebounding that are lacking. Last year we got better when he started and I think the same may happen this year.

Loved to see all the young guys out there. Go Duke!!

Sure Quinn had a nice game but let's keep in mind he did this vs the 300th rated squad on kenpom and his points came at a time when Duke's surge had already been made. He faced very little defensive pressure on his shots though that side-step
    layup was nice.

Mason really took control of this game. Atleast 10 of his boards must have been in traffic.

I think Andre is getting overlooked a bit. He still needs work on the defensive end but on offense he's been great lately. The stroke is going and he's done a great job making the extra pass and looking inside.
    "Just be you. You is Enough."

I was glad to note the Plumlees played UNC-G even on the boards tonight at 26 all. (from espn stats)

A True Point Guard

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    Sure Quinn had a nice game but let's keep in mind he did this vs the 300th rated squad on kenpom and his points came at a time when Duke's surge had already been made. He faced very little defensive pressure on his shots though that side-step
    layup was nice.

Mason really took control of this game. Atleast 10 of his boards must have been in traffic.

I think Andre is getting overlooked a bit. He still needs work on the defensive end but on offense he's been great lately. The stroke is going and he's done a great job making the extra pass and looking inside.
    Quinn is our only player with elite PG talent. To me, it just seems obvious from watching him [including at Oak Hill], but I know that we all see things differently. We need a true, really good PG especially this year, because our team is young and inexperienced with each other. I love Tyler because he brings intensity and leadership. Evidently Coach agrees. Tyler will likely always have a significant role to play for us, but he doesn't have that high level of PG talent that Quinn has. The more Quinn plays the better he will become. Continue to give him significant minutes and we will have a good PG to help us win in conference.

Nice to see Andre play some good ball, make some shots, as a strong 6th man. Silent G had a very sound game on both ends of the floor.

Go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    layup was nice.
    Duke was up 11 at the half, 15 when Quinn came in, and they won by 27. They were up 32 when Zafirovski came in, so that's a pretty decent cutting-off point. Weak competition or not, Cook was decisive, looked great with the ball, had some sweet passes and a good-looking jump shot. It's happening, Penny Lane.

(Not to bag on Tyler -- who busted his tail as usual and was the FIRST person to greet Cook when he came to the bench -- but he had three points, one assist and four fouls in 16 minutes against the 300th rated squad on kenpom.)

Side note: This was my first game in Cameron since I graduated in 2001. Nice to have my most recent game there finally be a win!

Side note 2: I talked to Austin for a bit after the game. Can't say enough about him, what a fun kid. The latest in a long line of class acts during the Krzyzewski era.

Quinn is certainly the question. I'm not sure he's the answer yet, though. So far this season, including tonight, what he's shown us is he can score. While that's a bit of a pleasant surprise, we have lots of guys who can score. If he's trying to earn time based on his scoring ability, he'll have to get in line behind Austin, Seth, and Andre. If Quinn wants to start or play big minutes, he'll have to do it with defense, and to a lesser extent by being a classic distributing PG. And so far, we haven't seen either of those things from him.

I agree his handle is smooth, but his assist rate isn't great (4.57 assist per 40 minutes) and his decision making needs some work (2 assists vs. 2 turnovers tonight). And, as many have pointed out, his defense isn't there yet.

Give the guy time. He doesn't really have to be our savior yet.

IMO, the big question with Quinn is still defense against, say Tyshaun Taylor, Marquis Teague, Kendall Marshall, etc... the elite PGs of the country. Is he big enough and quick enough? Can he create as well against them as he can against an overmatched team of 6'2 players? Tonight was a five-star matchup for Quinn, but it doesn't really matter how good he looks against bad-to-decent teams if he can't do the same things against the great teams we need to beat.

My new wish is for us to experiment with the following lineup:

PG - Rivers
    SG - Curry
    SF - Gbinije
    PF - Kelly
    PF - Mason

You've got great size and rebounding - 6'4, 6'2, 6'7, 6'11, 6'10.

You've got great defense - Kelly/Mason are already a strength, Rivers and Gbinije are exceptional lateral athletes, and Curry/Dawk could take the weakest perimeter player.

You've got solid offense - a creator at point, an experienced shooter at SG, two experienced post scorers, and an athletic SF who just needs to not be a liability.

Then you've got offensive and defensive sparkplugs off the bench in Dawkins, Cook and Thornton, along with Miles and Josh for muscle in the post. What's not to love?

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Quinn is certainly the question. I'm not sure he's the answer yet, though. So far this season, including tonight, what he's shown us is he can score. While that's a bit of a pleasant surprise, we have lots of guys who can score. If he's trying to earn time based on his scoring ability, he'll have to get in line behind Austin, Seth, and Andre. If Quinn wants to start or play big minutes, he'll have to do it with defense, and to a lesser extent by being a classic distributing PG. And so far, we haven't seen either of those things from him.

I agree his handle is smooth, but his assist rate isn't great (4.57 assist per 40 minutes) and his decision making needs some work (2 assists vs. 2 turnovers tonight). And, as many have pointed out, his defense isn't there yet.Give the guy time. He doesn't really have to be our savior yet.
    Liked what I saw of Quinn last night, including his moverment on defense. Have to temper that with the level of competition, but still an encouraging performance.