Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

Bracketology Jan 2012

This thread might as well be titled "the way too early edition", but it's fun to follow through the season as the pundits constantly change their mind about who is going where. Joe Lunardi has his first bracket out, and he sends us to Greensboro (in East) with a one and the heels to Greensboro (in South) with a two.
    Virginia and Florida State fill out the ACC's contributions, while Stanford and Harvard are welcomed to the dance with a six and seven seed.
    The heels are put up against Davidson, which could actually be a great first round game.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    This thread might as well be titled "the way too early edition", but it's fun to follow through the season as the pundits constantly change their mind about who is going where. Joe Lunardi has his first bracket out, and he sends us to Greensboro (in East) with a one and the heels to Greensboro (in South) with a two.
    Virginia and Florida State fill out the ACC's contributions, while Stanford and Harvard are welcomed to the dance with a six and seven seed.
    The heels are put up against Davidson, which could actually be a great first round game.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology
    Isn't Duke #1 in the dreaded West Region?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 24 90 View Post
    Isn't Duke #1 in the dreaded West Region?
    Oh yeah...my bad. I battle with occasional illiteracy.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

SI's First Bracket Watch Has Duke Seeded #1 in East

Obviously, a bit premature, but interesting, nonetheless.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...&sct=hp_t13_a2

1 2 9 and 10. What a pitiful mess this league is.

Sports Illustrated's Andy Glockner posts his first projections. He also gives Duke a one and the heels a two. It's interesting to me that after being adorned with preseason #1 rankings by so many, that now two of the prominent pundits have pegged unc with a 2 seed in March. Of course there is a whole lot of season left, but I wonder what has changed their mind so much to put us ahead of the baby blues.
    Duke, Kentucky, Syracuse and Ohio State grab No. 1 seeds in Bracket Watch

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...tml?xid=cnnbin

Quote Originally Posted by slower View Post
    Obviously, a bit premature, but interesting, nonetheless.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...&sct=hp_t13_a2
    Huh? How do they figure we get the 1 seed in the east and Cuse goes out West? They're undefeated and ranked #1 right now. What am I missing?

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Sports Illustrated's Andy Glockner posts his first projections. He also gives Duke a one and the heels a two. It's interesting to me that after being adorned with preseason #1 rankings by so many, that now two of the prominent pundits have pegged unc with a 2 seed in March. Of course there is a whole lot of season left, but I wonder what has changed their mind so much to put us ahead of the baby blues.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...tml?xid=cnnbin
    The prominent pundits probably know ole roy does not try to win the ACC tournament. You know that darn old tournament that the heels seem to fold in. That's an annual loss going into the NCAAs. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    Huh? How do they figure we get the 1 seed in the east and Cuse goes out West? They're undefeated and ranked #1 right now. What am I missing?
    Perhaps they don't think it will stay that way?

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    The prominent pundits probably know ole roy does not try to win the ACC tournament. You know that darn old tournament that the heels seem to fold in. That's an annual loss going into the NCAAs. GoDuke!
    Seth Greenberg's gonna have to work to get on the bubble.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Perhaps they don't think it will stay that way?
    I guess...but I'm not sure why they'd think we'd end up as the #1 or 2 overall seed. I don't think many people on this board think that!

Maybe they're looking at a weak ACC and think we'll only lose 2 or 3 more games. Still I think this its ridiculous to put on as the #1 or 2 overall. We are probably somewhere in the #4-6 range right now in terms of the S-curve

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    I guess...but I'm not sure why they'd think we'd end up as the #1 or 2 overall seed. I don't think many people on this board think that!

Maybe they're looking at a weak ACC and think we'll only lose 2 or 3 more games. Still I think this its ridiculous to put on as the #1 or 2 overall. We are probably somewhere in the #4-6 range right now in terms of the S-curve
    Have to disagree with you on this one Silky. To me, having seen all of the top teams play at least once, I would have to say Duke is at worst a 3 Seed and at best a 1, with a 2 being the most likely outcome.

This team has weaknesses to overcome, but it is still a darn good basketball team, with a high ceiling. I do believe Duke will feast on a weak ACC and finish the Regular Season with no more than 5 losses total.

I guess it is possible things could turn south and they end up as a 4 seed, but barring injury to key players, there is just no way Duke ends up being a 5 or 6 seed.

Now, if injuries pile up, we would have to re-evaluate. But this is just how I see it as of now.

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    Have to disagree with you on this one Silky. To me, having seen all of the top teams play at least once, I would have to say Duke is at worst a 3 Seed and at best a 1, with a 2 being the most likely outcome.

This team has weaknesses to overcome, but it is still a darn good basketball team, with a high ceiling. I do believe Duke will feast on a weak ACC and finish the Regular Season with no more than 5 losses total.

I guess it is possible things could turn south and they end up as a 4 seed, but barring injury to key players, there is just no way Duke ends up being a 5 or 6 seed.

Now, if injuries pile up, we would have to re-evaluate. But this is just how I see it as of now.
    I could be wrong, but I thought SilkyJ meant #4 to #6 overall on the s-curve (i.e., a #1 or #2 seed), and not a #4 to #6 seed.

In my opinion, things would have to go unexpectedly sour for us to drop even as far as a #3 seed, although I suppose it could happen if our defense doesn't shore up. I'd be shocked if we dropped as low as a #4 seed.

I understood SilkyJ's post as saying that Duke should be a #1 or #2 seed in the #4 to #6 position overall on the S curve but not #1 or #2 overall of the #1 seeds. I agree, though I think Duke could be ranked anywhere as a #2 seed at this point.
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I could be wrong, but I thought SilkyJ meant #4 to #6 overall on the s-curve (i.e., a #1 or #2 seed), and not a #4 to #6 seed.

In my opinion, things would have to go unexpectedly sour for us to drop even as far as a #3 seed, although I suppose it could happen if our defense doesn't shore up. I'd be shocked if we dropped as low as a #4 seed.
    Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    I understood SilkyJ's post as saying that Duke should be a #1 or #2 seed in the #4 to #6 position overall on the S curve but not #1 or #2 overall of the #1 seeds. I agree, though I think Duke could be ranked anywhere as a #2 seed at this point.
    Aargh! Totally blew that one guys. Thanks for straightening me out. A total misread.

Quick question: are we the only fanbase that obsesses over other people's pretend brackets while it's still December?

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    Quick question: are we the only fanbase that obsesses over other people's pretend brackets while it's still December?
    Nope.
    Bob Green

Aargh! Totally blew that one guys. Thanks for straightening me out. A total misread.
    No worries, looks like Kedsy and NS set you straight

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    Nah, I heard the unc faithful already have their 2012 NC t-shirts printed .

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Nah, I heard the unc faithful already have their 2012 NC t-shirts printed .
    That is on the front and Helms Bakery is on the back.