Page 49 of 55 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Not to nitpick, but the correct spelling is "Mo Mentum," as in "Ol' Mo Mentum, the guy out there who's always changing jerseys."

sage
    'Thanks to the late Don Meredith'
    I thought it was a backwards movie starring Guy Pearce.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Not to nitpick, but the correct spelling is "Mo Mentum," as in "Ol' Mo Mentum, the guy out there who's always changing jerseys."

sage
    'Thanks to the late Don Meredith'

The extra ME is for momementum and enthusiasm.

The extra ME there is a typo.

Quote Originally Posted by gus View Post

The extra ME is for momementum and enthusiasm.

The extra ME there is a typo.

Well played. Possibly the most quotable Simpsons episode ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom B. View Post
    Well played. Possibly the most quotable Simpsons episode ever.
    Don't you mean "Best. Quote. Ever. " ?

Goodness gracious sakes alive, Romney just cannot stop speaking like he's got a mouthful of rocks. The latest -- in an interview today, he said he'd "get rid of" Planned Parenthood. In context, it appears that he was saying that federal funds to Planned Parenthood would be among the grants and subsidies that he'd eliminate to reduce the deficit. But jeez, has this guy not yet learned to think about how his words will sound out loud before actually saying them? He's just handing the Democrats reason after reason to paint him as pandering to the Limbaugh caucus in another attempt to make those pesky religious conservatives in flyover America like him (as though he hasn't already been trying for five years to do that). And he's forcing his advisers and spokespeople to give another round of follow-up interviews and statements that start with "What he really meant to say was..." That's never a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom B. View Post
    Goodness gracious sakes alive, Romney just cannot stop speaking like he's got a mouthful of rocks. The latest -- in an interview today, he said he'd "get rid of" Planned Parenthood. In context, it appears that he was saying that federal funds to Planned Parenthood would be among the grants and subsidies that he'd eliminate to reduce the deficit. But jeez, has this guy not yet learned to think about how his words will sound out loud before actually saying them? He's just handing the Democrats reason after reason to paint him as pandering to the Limbaugh caucus in another attempt to make those pesky religious conservatives in flyover America like him (as though he hasn't already been trying for five years to do that).
    In the Democrats' defense, Romney *really is* pandering to the Limbaugh caucus in an attempt to make religious conservatives like him. Defunding the National Endowment for the Humanities?

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    In the Democrats' defense, Romney *really is* pandering to the Limbaugh caucus in an attempt to make religious conservatives like him. Defunding the National Endowment for the Humanities?
    I'd present my reaction to Republican hatred of the NEH and the NEA, but we're supposed to keep this thread nonpartisan.

In other news, Ron Paul's abysmal performance in Mississippi indicates that the white people I know in Mississippi are not a representative sample of Republicans--I know a lot of Ron Paul fans down there. ‎ (He's been running, what, ten-twelve percent in most states, and got three-four in MS and AL). Go to the CNN maps of MS and AL last night...if you've got some local knowledge, they're VERRRRRY interesting.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

So who really won Mississippi?

According to the NY Times, Romney won 14 delegates to Santorum's 13:

http://elections.nytimes.com/2012/primaries/delegates

It's like the media is reporting on a basketball game by tracking who shots more shots and ignoring the score.

So who really won Mississippi?

According to the NY Times, Romney won 14 delegates to Santorum's 13:

http://elections.nytimes.com/2012/primaries/delegates

It's like the media is reporting on a basketball game by tracking who shots more shots and ignoring the score.
    Romney has 2 "Superdelegates" from Mississippi. They are merely party leaders who have pledged their support to one of the candidates. So, while the NY Times total makes it appear he "won" more delegates in Miss, in fact, he won 12 but has 2 bonus ones to take his total to 14.

-Jason "personally, I think counting the votes of the people is a fine way of determining the winning of each of these contests" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Romney has 2 "Superdelegates" from Mississippi. They are merely party leaders who have pledged their support to one of the candidates. So, while the NY Times total makes it appear he "won" more delegates in Miss, in fact, he won 12 but has 2 bonus ones to take his total to 14.

-Jason "personally, I think counting the votes of the people is a fine way of determining the winning of each of these contests" Evans
    Tell that to President Gore and Nominee Clinton.I'm a real wanker for saying this.

Jason's headline from 2/9:

Tarheels beat Devils

Chapel Hill. I'm a real wanker for saying this.Despite a meaningless last second shot from freshman sensation Austin Rivers, UNC wins 53 baskets to Duke's 44...

Tell that to President Gore and Nominee Clinton.I'm a real wanker for saying this.

Jason's headline from 2/9:

Tarheels beat Devils

Chapel Hill. I'm a real wanker for saying this.Despite a meaningless last second shot from freshman sensation Austin Rivers, UNC wins 53 baskets to Duke's 44...
    Why is the board software randomly inserting mildly offensive language into my post? There was no replacement: every word I typed is there.

Why is the board software randomly inserting mildly offensive language into my post? There was no replacement: every word I typed is there.
    I am getting the technical staff to look into it.

-JE
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I am getting the technical staff to look into it.

-JE
    I thought the software was just calling me out for a mild but good humored dig at you.

I think maybe the software has developed a political bias and is starting to insert that phrase for words like I'm a real wanker for saying this Gingrich. Holy crap! I really tried to type I'm a real wanter for saying this and instead it wrote "I'm a real wanker for saying this"! All I can say is, if I'm a real wanker for saying this Gingrich can't even get his name past the DBR filter, maybe he SHOULD drop out.

Naughty Newt?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    I think maybe the software has developed a political bias and is starting to insert that phrase for words like I'm a real wanker for saying this Gingrich. Holy crap! I really tried to type I'm a real wanter for saying this and instead it wrote "I'm a real wanker for saying this"! All I can say is, if I'm a real wanker for saying this Gingrich can't even get his name past the DBR filter, maybe he SHOULD drop out.
    I'm gonna be laughing at this post all day long. 24.gif24.gif
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Romney should steamroll Santorum in Puerto Rico today. If he gets over 50% of the vote, then the delegates are apportioned on a winner-take-all basis, and with 10% reporting, Romney currently leads Santorum 82% to 9%.

I don't understand why Santorum went to PR this week instead of writing it off and focusing on winnable races in Illinois, Louisiana, and Wisconsin. Or why (if he was truly set on competing in PR) he would tell PR residents that they had to adopt English as an official language before being granted statehood. Maybe he just really needed some vacation time???

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    What's a 'wanter' ? =)

Quote Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
    What's a 'wanter' ? =)
    Somebody interested in a wanker?

In other news, Romney wins Puerto Rico! He must be the Republican candidate who can bring the Hispanic vote! Yeah...

Despite Santorum's two wins a week ago, I get the feeling this thing is about to be over. The polls are painting a very pretty picture for Romney in Illinois and the delegate math got even better for him over the weekend when he swept all of the delegates from Puerto Rico. I also sorta sense that the GOP wants this to be over.

I think Romney gets an 8-12 point win tonight in Illinois. Some polls think it will be more like 15 points. The is another state where Santorum did not have the money to organize properly so he is unable to get delegates in several districts. As a result, even if Santorum were to make it closer or possibly win, he is not likely to beat Mitt in the delegate math tonight.

I think there will start to be pressure on Santorum to pull out after tonight. If nothing else, the media will start talking about it and once that happens, the candidate generally spirals downward.

The bottom line appears to be that something significant needs to happen to change the race. Gingrich pulling out sooner might have been that "thing" which may have allowed Santorum to win a couple other key states, but that did not happen. I sorta think we are now at the point where even if Newt went bye-bye, it would not really matter. Unless Romney gets caught in a scandal, which would seem highly unlikely at this point in the vetting process, Santorum is probably toast.

-Jason "it has been fun while it lasted, people... " Evans