First, some worthwhile links:

> An interview with Newt Gingrich's sister, who opposes Newt's politics

> How Newt's "academic schtick" is helping him win over Tea Partiers

> In related news, Newt has continued his attacks judicial review, pledging to ignore Supreme Court decisions with which he disagrees

~~~

It has been a fascinating campaign in that you have two candidates--Romney and Huntsman--attempting to maintain their moderate republicanism (one perhaps more so than the other), while the rest of the field has, seemingly one by one, been placed on a pedestal for an opportunity to woo the Tea Party and the establishment...and failed to do so.

One wonders if Mitch Daniels, the extremely competent governor of Indiana, stayed out of this race because he expects that no matter who runs in '12, the odds are stacked against the GOP at the presidential level. Of course, that could be my iteration of the grass being greener. But I digress.

Mr. Romney has the financial advantage, not just in his current coffers but in his connections in various industries and financial networks across the country. He has avoided major gaffes, unlike those pursuing the more excitable aspects of his party; he has also avoided any knockout blows. My sense is that this may very well suffice, at least in winning the nomination.

He is such a flawed candidate, however, in the eyes of so many who would ultimately have to vote for him...but no individual seems to have the right combination of attractive policy proposals and attractive presidential prospects to be able to separate themselves from the pack.

This almost feels like watching that pre-Tecmo Bowl, electronic football game where you placed teams on a vibrating field, not sure of what would happen even though some were better positioned better than others to advance the ball.