Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Kyrie ranks #1 in my "Oh, what might have been" list for Duke players.
    You and me, both! I think he's already showing that he'll challenge for greatest Dukie of all time in the NBA. I know it's early, but he's got all the skills to be a very, very special pro.

G with huge dunks in back to back games now:

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    You and me, both! I think he's already showing that he'll challenge for greatest Dukie of all time in the NBA. I know it's early, but he's got all the skills to be a very, very special pro.
    He's just gotta cut down on his turnovers, which is usually the easiest thing for rookies to improve as they gain more experience. In all honesty, his turnovers are one of the only things preventing him from being one of the most efficient point guards THIS year. While Rubio's assist rate has been impressive and flashy, I'm not sure why Kyrie's not getting more love for top rookie. Rubio actually has guys to pass to and has far more talent surrounding him. However, Kyrie has probably slightly outplayed him so far.

No kidding

Quote Originally Posted by COYS View Post
    He's just gotta cut down on his turnovers, which is usually the easiest thing for rookies to improve as they gain more experience. In all honesty, his turnovers are one of the only things preventing him from being one of the most efficient point guards THIS year. While Rubio's assist rate has been impressive and flashy, I'm not sure why Kyrie's not getting more love for top rookie. Rubio actually has guys to pass to and has far more talent surrounding him. However, Kyrie has probably slightly outplayed him so far.
    In the lead up to last year's draft, I kept reading that Kyrie wasn't as talented as John Wall, and I kept thinking that I'd rather have Kyrie. Wall has physical skills that Kyrie doesn't have, but Kyrie can do things that Wall can't, too. And I think Kyrie's far more likely to be a winner.

Because Rubio had the doubters and has surpassed expectations 5-fold. Kyrie is a better player now and may always be a better player, but sportswriters love the unexpected. And Rubio's ridiculous passing is definitely unexpected.

Like Coach K, I am definitely a Rubio fan.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    In the lead up to last year's draft, I kept reading that Kyrie wasn't as talented as John Wall, and I kept thinking that I'd rather have Kyrie. Wall has physical skills that Kyrie doesn't have, but Kyrie can do things that Wall can't, too. And I think Kyrie's far more likely to be a winner.
    Agree with you here. Everyone kept saying that Kyrie doesn't have the athleticism or Rose, Westbrook, or Wall, which is true, and that that lack of ridiculous physical ability would prevent him from getting to the super star tier. What everyone seemed to forget, however, is that Kyrie is more similar to Chris Paul than to any of those three and Chris Paul is better than all those three (sadly, his knees may not allow him to continue to prove it). Kyrie might not be quite as quick as Paul, but he is even more deceptive. Also, his shot is significantly further along than Paul's was during his rookie season (even though Paul had an amazing rookie year that Kyrie would be lucky to duplicate). If the Cavs are smart about building around Kyrie, they have the foundation for a contender. My biggest concern is that the Cavs won't be smart with their personnel decisions, but time will tell.

Wall has physical skills that Kyrie doesn't have, but Kyrie can do things that Wall can't, too.
    Yea, like shoot! A fairly important asset in basketball. (Wall is shooting 34% from the floor, Kyrie is shooting 47% including 37% from 3. Those are very good numbers for any guard, and for a rookie those are phenomenal shooting numbers.) My guess is Kyrie is an all-star before Wall.

While Rubio's assist rate has been impressive and flashy, I'm not sure why Kyrie's not getting more love for top rookie. Rubio actually has guys to pass to and has far more talent surrounding him. However, Kyrie has probably slightly outplayed him so far.
    Hollinger has Irving as the #1 rookie so far, so he's at least getting some love! (premium ESPN article, sorry if you're not a subscriber)

His prediction for the top 5 (based on how they are playing, how he expects them to continue playing/improve, and how much PT they'll get to actually make an impact):

1. Kyrie
    2. Rubio
    3. Marshon Brooks
    4. Markieff Morris
    5. Kawhi Leonard

Thanks for the confirmation!

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    Yea, like shoot! A fairly important asset in basketball. (Wall is shooting 34% from the floor, Kyrie is shooting 47% including 37% from 3. Those are very good numbers for any guard, and for a rookie those are phenomenal shooting numbers.) My guess is Kyrie is an all-star before Wall.
    I was too lazy to look up the numbers, but I was thinking of shooting, defense, and also the ability to change directions multiple times on a drive, much like Nash. My sense is that Wall has amazing speed, strength, and quickness, more than Kyrie, but there's more to basketball than that. Of course, I rarely watch Wall's team, even though I live in DC, for obvious reasons.

I was too lazy to look up the numbers, but I was thinking of shooting, defense, and also the ability to change directions multiple times on a drive, much like Nash. My sense is that Wall has amazing speed, strength, and quickness, more than Kyrie, but there's more to basketball than that. Of course, I rarely watch Wall's team, even though I live in DC, for obvious reasons.
    I live in DC and unfortunately do watch Wall, and watched Kyrie a bit during the preview period for league pass. Would much rather have Kyrie, and it isn't even close. Wall is very good on the break, but totally lost in the half court, both in running the team and in scoring. Kyrie, despite playing only 11 college games, is much more polished on offense. Wall is probably a slightly better defender right now, but I would not consider D a strength for either at this point.

What is really crazy to think about with Kyrie is that he only had 11 college games, no NBA summer league, and virtually no NBA training camp. He's had to adjust to everything about the NBA at an incredible rate - more frequent (and longer) games, the speed of the players, learn an new offense, learn new defensive schemes, learn his teammates, live on his own, etc - and seems to be doing very well. Even if Rubio edges him out for Rookie of the year, hard to be anything other than extremely impressed with what KI has been doing.

I too would prefer Kyrie to Wall but I would like to defend Wall a bit. Wall happens to be on the worst franchise in the NBA right now with literally no help from his teammates. Kyrie is on a bad team but the players on that team are legitimate role guys built for a one man show. Wall is on a team with legitimate backups, has-beens and never will be's with a terrible coach to boot. Kyrie is also naturally a better shooter than Wall but Wall could prob avg 40 to 42% or so on that team.

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    I too would prefer Kyrie to Wall but I would like to defend Wall a bit. Wall happens to be on the worst franchise in the NBA right now with literally no help from his teammates. Kyrie is on a bad team but the players on that team are legitimate role guys built for a one man show. Wall is on a team with legitimate backups, has-beens and never will be's with a terrible coach to boot. Kyrie is also naturally a better shooter than Wall but Wall could prob avg 40 to 42% or so on that team.
    Didn't mean to say that Wall was garbage, I actually have hopes of him becoming a good player once he gets some quality coaching (Flip is better suited with a veteran team vs developing talent), but more to imply how impressive Kyrie has been in early action compared to his peers, as someone who has watched a fair bit of both play.

Agree that the Wizards are terrible, but the Cavs aren't exactly the 92 Bulls. They won 19 games last year, compared to 23 for the Wiz. Cavs may be slightly more talented, but don't think it is a huge edge:

Cavs vs Wizards starters
    Kyrie vs Wall
    Parker vs Young
    Casspi vs Blatche
    Jamison vs Lewis
    Varejao vs McGee

Would concede that the Cavs have a better bench and likely a better coach.

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    Didn't mean to say that Wall was garbage, I actually have hopes of him becoming a good player once he gets some quality coaching (Flip is better suited with a veteran team vs developing talent), but more to imply how impressive Kyrie has been in early action compared to his peers, as someone who has watched a fair bit of both play.

Agree that the Wizards are terrible, but the Cavs aren't exactly the 92 Bulls. They won 19 games last year, compared to 23 for the Wiz. Cavs may be slightly more talented, but don't think it is a huge edge:

Cavs vs Wizards starters
    Kyrie vs Wall
    Parker vs Young
    Casspi vs Blatche
    Jamison vs Lewis
    Varejao vs McGee

Would concede that the Cavs have a better bench and likely a better coach.

Yeah I understood what you meant I just wanted to point that Wall is a bit better than people give him credit for. Also the Cavs roster is built to surround one or two all star type guys which is helping Kyrie a little bit better.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    G with huge dunks in back to back games now:

The dunk against Atlanta was the better dunk by far, but he absolutely punked Carmelo Anthony there. Wow.

Wall

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    Yeah I understood what you meant I just wanted to point that Wall is a bit better than people give him credit for. Also the Cavs roster is built to surround one or two all star type guys which is helping Kyrie a little bit better.
    I wasn't trying to bash Wall either. He's very talented and would be much better with a better situation. I don't think Saunders is batter coach than you say, but the roster is a disaster, starting with Blatche and Young, who have to be two of the dumbest and most immature players in the league.

I do feel compelled to point out that the Wizards dumped Jamison 2 years ago, so it's not like he's a hot property. He's had a very good career, but has always been a tweener, and is near the end of his career. So I'm mot impressed with the Cavs's roster. They earned the first pick in the draft.

Is Lance Thomas trying to get on another team or is he back in NBADL?

Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post
    Both.
    http://www.nba.com/dleague/playerfile/lance_thomas/
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”

Zoubek?

Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post
    What is Brian Zoubek doing? As I recall, he had a back injury last year. Is he playing anywhere?

I have a little free time this weekend, so I thought I would throw some tidbits out:

Luol Deng had his second monster rebounding game in a row in a Chicago victory over Boston: 21 points and 16 rebounds. He had 15 rebounds his previous game and over the last 3 games is averaging 18pts and 14rebs.

Elton Brand and Co aka the 76ers are having a nice season so far...8-3 record, albeit against fairly modest competition (last night the hapless Wizards). Brand had 13pts and 5reb.

Kyrie has had 3 straight 20+ point games -- and the Cavs took LA down to the wire last night in LA. Bryant has been ridiculous though -- scored 40 points for the third straight game.

Luol is really good

Quote Originally Posted by theAlaskanBear View Post

Luol Deng had his second monster rebounding game in a row in a Chicago victory over Boston: 21 points and 16 rebounds. He had 15 rebounds his previous game and over the last 3 games is averaging 18pts and 14rebs.
    I think Luol is making a strong case for being the third best small forward on the planet behind KD and LeBron. If Luol didn't play with the MVP of the league, he would be getting a lot more attention.

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    I think Luol is making a strong case for being the third best small forward on the planet behind KD and LeBron. If Luol didn't play with the MVP of the league, he would be getting a lot more attention.
    Luol is one of the best defensive SFs in the league, if not the best. His offense is quite good, but he needs the attention to be elsewhere. Luol is one of the best second bananas in the league (ie second star on a team). When Luol is the number-one option, I don't think he'll be as good.

There is a very strong chance that Luol gets an All-Star bid, which should happen consider the way that he is playing.

Side note - with Luol, Hendo, and Irving, Duke has a really exciting group of young players.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club