Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    You implicitly raised an interesting point. Do we consider Elliott Williams a former Duke player, at least in the sense of Battier or Boozer?
    Normally with someone who transfers away, like say Jamal, Boateng, or Olek, I would say no. No ill-will towards them (in fact I rooted for Jamal at Cal when I was in SF), but they chose to leave and not be a part of the family. Elliott didn't have a choice. When your mother is sick and may not have much time left, going back home is hardly a choice.

So, to answer your question: yes, I certainly consider Elliott a part of the Duke family, same as I would Luol and Kyrie, who also played one year. (I would argue Kyrie was in a similar situation: is being the #1 draft pick really or returning to school much of a choice? I'd say not really...) Tough to compare them to a player like Battier who played all 4 years, embodied the team first, defensive minded approach that defines Duke, but yes, I consider all 3 very much a part of the family.

Boozer

Carlos had 23 and 8 last night. He seems to be playing himself into shape right now after a slow start, an unfortunate commonality among NBA veterans.

For the year he is at 15 and 8 in 29 minutes per game.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    Normally with someone who transfers away, like say Jamal, Boateng, or Olek, I would say no. No ill-will towards them (in fact I rooted for Jamal at Cal when I was in SF), but they chose to leave and not be a part of the family. Elliott didn't have a choice. When your mother is sick and may not have much time left, going back home is hardly a choice.

So, to answer your question: yes, I certainly consider Elliott a part of the Duke family, same as I would Luol and Kyrie, who also played one year. (I would argue Kyrie was in a similar situation: is being the #1 draft pick really or returning to school much of a choice? I'd say not really...) Tough to compare them to a player like Battier who played all 4 years, embodied the team first, defensive minded approach that defines Duke, but yes, I consider all 3 very much a part of the family.
    FWIW, the Duke Media Guide does not list Elliott Williams among the list of former Duke players in the NBA.

Neither does the ACC Media Guide.

There's also a very, very good chance that someone from Duke will be playing in the NBA finals this season. Almost every contender has a former Blue Devil. Miami has Battier, Chicago has Boozer and Deng, Orlando has Redick and Duhon, the Sixers have Brand, Indiana has Jones. I guess Atlanta is the holdout, maybe the Knicks, or the Celts for those who think they aren't too old.

Still, that's a pretty good representation at the top of the East.
    I think there's a decent chance that, if Dwight Howard gets traded to LA, JJ will go along with him (where of course he'd join McRoberts). Grant Hill seems to me like a candidate to get traded to a contender at the deadline as well.

FWIW, the Duke Media Guide does not list Elliott Williams among the list of former Duke players in the NBA.

Interesting. Is there a reason behind that beyond a simple "rule" that any transfer is not typically included? More to the story than we know? Pray-tell if so!

(BTW, do you consider Elliott amongst the Duke family in the NBA?)

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    I think there's a decent chance that, if Dwight Howard gets traded to LA, JJ will go along with him (where of course he'd join McRoberts). Grant Hill seems to me like a candidate to get traded to a contender at the deadline as well.
    I do not know if Grant's contract has a no-trade clause in it, but Grant and his family are very happy in PHX and I think his family has played a part in why he has decided to stay there on several occasions: he originally signed in '07, then picked up his player option in '08, resigned with the team in '09, picked up his player option for '10, then resigned in '11.

Perhaps equally important, PHX likes Grant: on both resignings, PHX increased its original offer to match outside interest. Clearly there is a strong mutual attraction there.

That said, he has garnered significant interest during his last two stints in free agency, and I could see him as a valuable asset to a contender (and has an expiring contract no less).

Grant in Phoenix

I do not know if Grant's contract has a no-trade clause in it, but Grant and his family are very happy in PHX and I think his family has played a part in why he has decided to stay there on several occasions: he originally signed in '07, then picked up his player option in '08, resigned with the team in '09, picked up his player option for '10, then resigned in '11.

Perhaps equally important, PHX likes Grant: on both resignings, PHX increased its original offer to match outside interest. Clearly there is a strong mutual attraction there.

That said, he has garnered significant interest during his last two stints in free agency, and I could see him as a valuable asset to a contender (and has an expiring contract no less).
    Phoenix ownership has made it clear that Grant has a job in the organization after his playing days are over. I doubt that he would be traded.

sage

Grant, class on and off the court

What ever team Grant plays for, I'ill follow him. He has the qualities that make him one of my all time favorite Duke players. I sure loved him in the Royal Blue. GoDuke!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

I wouldn't expect them to since he is not a Duke graduate. Since he went to another school first before the NBA, the NBA will list Memphis as his university.

I still consider him part of the Duke basketball family though.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    What ever team Grant plays for, I'ill follow him. He has the qualities that make him one of my all time favorite Duke players. I sure loved him in the Royal Blue. GoDuke!
    I love Grant as well. But might as well point out that he was absolutely abused and torched by Kobe last night who dropped 48 on him. Grant didn't fare too well going 1-12. He has done well guarding Kobe in the past but maybe age has caught up to him on the defensive end. Kobe looked like a young buck again out there.
    "Just be you. You is Enough."

NBA rookie of the year

RE: Kyrie

I thought this was interesting

Evan (St. Paul)
    Is the Rookie of the year Rubio's to lose?

Chad Ford
    (1:32 PM)
    At this point yes. Weird fact. If Rubio wins ROY, he'll be the third player from the draft class of 2009 to do. That's got to be some sort of record. Tyreke Evans in 2010, Blake Griffin in 2011, Ricky Rubio in 2012.

Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    RE: Kyrie

I thought this was interesting

Evan (St. Paul)
    Is the Rookie of the year Rubio's to lose?

Chad Ford
    (1:32 PM)
    At this point yes. Weird fact. If Rubio wins ROY, he'll be the third player from the draft class of 2009 to do. That's got to be some sort of record. Tyreke Evans in 2010, Blake Griffin in 2011, Ricky Rubio in 2012.
    Agreed. Seems to me that it's a lot closer than Ford thinks, looking at the stats and also considering the quality of the teammates. And I know who I would rather have, if I was a GM.

In anyone is interested, here is a good highlight reel of Kyrie against Charlotte. His drive at 2:25 is simply amazing.

Here's a good writeup of Kyrie and Grant in advance of their meeting this evening (Cavaliers vs Suns):

Suns veteran Grant Hill, Cavaliers rookie Kyrie Irving bookend the career lifespan of NBA players
    http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns...ie-irving.html

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Nice...JJ led scoring for the Magic last night with 17, his 4 free throws down the stretch helped seal the win. JJ logged 27 minutes, Duhon had 3 pts in 16. Neither Nolan nor Elliot Williams got off the bench in the same game.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by gwlaw99 View Post
    In anyone is interested, here is a good highlight reel of Kyrie against Charlotte. His drive at 2:25 is simply amazing.
    Mind blowing actually! The hesitations and crossovers are so naturally effortless for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    Mind blowing actually! The hesitations and crossovers are so naturally effortless for him.
    As a Duke freshman, Kyrie demonstrated those same hesitations and crossovers, but more importantly he showed that he could finish at the rim. Man, I wish I could have seen a healthy Kyrie for the entire season. GoDuke!

Kyrie ranks #1 in my "Oh, what might have been" list for Duke players.

Boozer's role

Via Espn

What to do with Boozer and Noah
    12:52PM ET
    Chicago Bulls

Email
    Comments

During last season's playoffs, Bulls coach Tom Thibodeau often elected to sit his starting frontcourt of Joakim Noah and Carlos Boozer in the fourth quarter of tight games in favor of the defense of Taj Gibson and Omer Asik.

And now 12 games into the 2011-12 season, that theme has continued, as Noah and Boozer have sat in the fourth at times. And it appears it's not just their D that's keeping them on the pine, as ESPN's John Hollinger notes in his Thursday chat.

From Hollinger, a possible solution to this growing concern in Chicago:

ESPN's John Hollinger

With Noah-Boozer chemistry an issue, Boozer may need to become sixth man for Bulls

"it's getting to be an issue. Boozer and Noah, for whatever reason, have never meshed as a frontcourt tandem. On paper it looks good; on the court it's a mess. Thibs may need to start Gibson, use Boozer as a sixth man and get Booz and Noah the bulk of their minutes away from each other. Using Boozer this way might have the secondary effect of preventing him from killing Luol Deng by playing him with both the starters and the second unit and resting him for 20 seconds each half."

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Via Espn

What to do with Boozer and Noah
    12:52PM ET
    Chicago Bulls

Email
    Comments

During last season's playoffs, Bulls coach Tom Thibodeau often elected to sit his starting frontcourt of Joakim Noah and Carlos Boozer in the fourth quarter of tight games in favor of the defense of Taj Gibson and Omer Asik.

And now 12 games into the 2011-12 season, that theme has continued, as Noah and Boozer have sat in the fourth at times. And it appears it's not just their D that's keeping them on the pine, as ESPN's John Hollinger notes in his Thursday chat.

From Hollinger, a possible solution to this growing concern in Chicago:

ESPN's John Hollinger

With Noah-Boozer chemistry an issue, Boozer may need to become sixth man for Bulls

"it's getting to be an issue. Boozer and Noah, for whatever reason, have never meshed as a frontcourt tandem. On paper it looks good; on the court it's a mess. Thibs may need to start Gibson, use Boozer as a sixth man and get Booz and Noah the bulk of their minutes away from each other. Using Boozer this way might have the secondary effect of preventing him from killing Luol Deng by playing him with both the starters and the second unit and resting him for 20 seconds each half."
    Hm, thanks for sharing. Didn't realize this was an issue. Is it "on-court chemistry" in that they just can't seem to get on the same page or is it an issue where they don't like each other or at least don't like playing with each other.

I also thought defense was Noah's specialty?