Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Elton Brand's decline is apparent and sad. At 32, it looks like all the injuries may have finally caught up with him. The Sixers are paying him a boatload of money for those 7 points per game. Not sure if his salary makes him unmoveable or not.

I suspect his all-star days are behind him. Hopefully, he'll warm up as the season progresses and became a solid player.
    Achilles injuries are so tough to overcome. I had a friend in college who tore his achilles playing soccer...it took him almost a full year after the injury before he could walk without a limp, let alone exercise. Hopefully he can adapt his game and stick around the league for a while even if he isn't one of the top post players anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Elton Brand's decline is apparent and sad. At 32, it looks like all the injuries may have finally caught up with him. The Sixers are paying him a boatload of money for those 7 points per game. Not sure if his salary makes him unmoveable or not.

I suspect his all-star days are behind him. Hopefully, he'll warm up as the season progresses and became a solid player.
    Yeah, that was apparent last year too as his numbers were down significantly. He is still a good rebounder, as his girth and space-eating ability in the lane haven't diminished. He may not have adjusted his offensive game to fit his new limitations. Perhaps a jump-hook or fade-away jumper would help him stay effective on the offense as it looks like his FG% is what has really taken a hit.

One of Elton's great strengths was his explosiveness. Before the Achilles injury he had the ability to catch an entry pass and just explode upward for a thunderous dunk right in his opponent's face. That aspect of his game is clearly gone now, so it's no shock his scoring in particular is going to diminish. It's a real shame his entire career has basically been spent on poor teams. He helped the Clips early on during his tenure there, but he never had the pieces around him. The three things I always wish for Dukies in the NBA are that they get to play on solid, playoff bound teams, that they are given legitimate shots to earn plenty of PT, and of course that they stay healthy. Elton only had one of those three happen for him (the PT), imho. It's a pity because he was always one of my favorite Duke players and I was hoping he'd be able to play for a championship team and pick up a ring or two during his time in the League. Doesn't look like that's going to happen now.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    Yeah, that was apparent last year too as his numbers were down significantly. He is still a good rebounder, as his girth and space-eating ability in the lane haven't diminished. He may not have adjusted his offensive game to fit his new limitations. Perhaps a jump-hook or fade-away jumper would help him stay effective on the offense as it looks like his FG% is what has really taken a hit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    One of Elton's great strengths was his explosiveness. Before the Achilles injury he had the ability to catch an entry pass and just explode upward for a thunderous dunk right in his opponent's face. That aspect of his game is clearly gone now, so it's no shock his scoring in particular is going to diminish. It's a real shame his entire career has basically been spent on poor teams. He helped the Clips early on during his tenure there, but he never had the pieces around him. The three things I always wish for Dukies in the NBA are that they get to play on solid, playoff bound teams, that they are given legitimate shots to earn plenty of PT, and of course that they stay healthy. Elton only had one of those three happen for him (the PT), imho. It's a pity because he was always one of my favorite Duke players and I was hoping he'd be able to play for a championship team and pick up a ring or two during his time in the League. Doesn't look like that's going to happen now.
    I wouldn't give up so quickly on Elton. Last year's numbers were affected by his Achilles tendon injury (24 months ago). We'll see what he brings this year. The early-season games would be preseason games in years past.

sage

Quote Originally Posted by COYS View Post
    His defense against Wade on the game winning shot was excellent. Honestly, there's not much else he could have done. He stayed in front of Wade, didn't let him overpower him once he got close to the basket, stayed on the ground following Wade's pump fake, and contested the fade-away jumper as well as you could hope for. If the shot had not gone in, Gerald would've gotten even more acclaim for his all around game against what might be the best team in the league.
    I wouldn't call it excellent by any means, but it wasn't bad, maybe "solid." He shifted his body to force Wade left, and when he did that Wade immediately went left and got by him easily. Gerald recovered and cut him off, but Wade was already 8 feet away. While he didn't go for the pump fake, by not jumping at all to contest the shot he allowed Wade, an elite leaper, to rise over him and shoot from about 8 feet...

So I'd say he played solid D, but not "excellent" D. Excellent would have been preventing from getting so close, forcing a pass, or getting up and really contesting the jumper (holding a hand up and not jumping isn't going to do much against an elite leaper and scorer like Wade).

I'm probably being a little too critical, but I remember seeing the play and immediately thinking that Gerald had let Wade get by him, so when I saw your descriptor "excellent" I had to chime in. Still, good to see G starting and playing well overall.

Post Dukies in the NBA Page

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    hey , does anyone have a new link that gives us the dukies in the nba totals each night...?

it used to be
    http://huckleberry.mhc.edu/devilStats.html

that doesn't seem to work...

thx
    Hi Guys!

I'm the one who wrote the script that keeps the Dukies in the NBA page going -- and I plan to do it again this year (same URL)! Long story short, my school has recently switched ISPs, and the NetAdmin is still configuring all of the firewall rules, one of which will open port 80 (HTTP traffic) to huckleberry.

We're on break currently, but staff returns next week; I hope that it's back up and running by the end of that week. I'll post again to let you all know!

Thanks,

grad_devil

Elton was on Dan LeBatard's tv show a few days ago (12/26?) and admitted that he didn't have the same explosiveness as he did pre-injuries. All in all I thought it was a pretty interesting interview as Le Batard tends to focus more on personality and not necessarily sports related topics. In addition to Elton's injury history, Elton talked about his decision to go pro and the pseudo-controversy surrounding the reaction to it. Here is a link to the podcast of the show.

NBA Rundown:

JJ Redick had 15 points on 6-11 shooting and added 3ast and 2reb in a Magic win.
    Chris Duhon had 9 points, hitting three 3s and playing 28minutes as Jameer Nelson has been ineffective with injury.
    Shelden Williams had 2 points and 5 boards in 16 minutes in the NJN loss to ORL.
    Carlos Boozer had 16 points and 15rebs on 8-16 shooting in a Bulls win.
    Luol Deng was 4-9 with 12pts 4asts and 6rebs.
    Josh McRoberts had a well rounded game -- 10pts 6rebs 3st and 2bs.

Neither Nolan Smith nor Elliot Williams saw any PT for the Trailblazers as they only played 8 deep in the win.

Quote Originally Posted by theAlaskanBear View Post
    NBA Rundown:

JJ Redick had 15 points on 6-11 shooting and added 3ast and 2reb in a Magic win.
    Chris Duhon had 9 points, hitting three 3s and playing 28minutes as Jameer Nelson has been ineffective with injury.
    Shelden Williams had 2 points and 5 boards in 16 minutes in the NJN loss to ORL.
    Carlos Boozer had 16 points and 15rebs on 8-16 shooting in a Bulls win.
    Luol Deng was 4-9 with 12pts 4asts and 6rebs.
    Josh McRoberts had a well rounded game -- 10pts 6rebs 3st and 2bs.

Neither Nolan Smith nor Elliot Williams saw any PT for the Trailblazers as they only played 8 deep in the win.
    I watched the Magic game and JJ played really well as did Duhon. They played a lot together, particularly after Jameer went down and he JJ hit a variety of shots including a couple layups on fastbreaks where he Duhon ran the 2v1 to perfection. The announcers were praising both of them, and had a lot of positive things to say about JJ.

Many people, myself included, often said JJ needed to get out of Orlando, but he has blossomed into an excellent player there.

(BTW for those who don't know, NBA league pass is usually free for the first week or two of the season so you can watch any/all of the games to catch our guys in action, just need to find the channels your provider puts those games on)

Many people, myself included, often said JJ needed to get out of Orlando, but he has blossomed into an excellent player there.
    Yes, the heavy comp at guard forced him to improve to a higher NBA level. Now, I think this coming year will be his best. Look for him to drop 15-20 per game
    on 30 minutes a night this year.

Ugh. Kyrie blows what might be the easiest buzzer beater he will ever see in his career by missing a bunny layup after a great drive to the basket! Darn it! As the Cleveland announcer said, those are the times when legends are born and Kyrie missed out. While I'm sure he'll get more chances in his career (possibly in OT), that one really was a shame to miss because it came right at the buzzer and it was a relatively easy lefty layup.

Yesterdays rundown:

Deng had 19pts and 8reb, while Boozer had 10pts and 6reb in a Chicago win over the Clippers. I have to say, Hamilton makes them a much more balanced, and dangerous team because they have a second guard option after Rose. Defenders have to play more honest. Rose was more aggressive last night and had 16ast, one off his career high. Noah had his breakout game this year with 19pts.

Elton Brand had 12pts and 7reb in a PHI loss to UTAH.

Dunleavy had 13pts and 5reb in a MIL win.

Battier was 0-5 and had 3reb and 3stl in 23 minutes. He's in a terrible slump -- only shooting 10% -- but the Heat continue to win. LeBron went nuts again 34pts 10ast and 8reb in the win over MIN. Btw, I was a Rubio sceptic, but he is going to be a great PG.

Grant Hill scored 10 as the Suns picked up their first win against the Hornets. Lance Thomas played only 1:30 in the game and was statless. He is averaging only 2 minutes per game -- hopefully he will see some 5-10 minute games.

Shelden Williams was 2-2 with 4pts and 2reb in 8 minutes and the Nets lost to the Hawks.

Kyrie Irving had 20pts 4ast and 5reb in CLE loss to IND in OT. Dahntay Jones had 4pts in limited minutes.

Duhon had 2 points and Redick chipped in 11 in an ORL win over the CHA Jordans. Maggette had 20pts and 7reb and Gerald Henderson struggled shooting but had 8pts 5reb and 3ast. ORL has a pretty weak schedule the next few games -- I think you will continue to see them win with Nelson injured. Duhon/Turkoglu seem to be doing fine initiating the offense.

Quote Originally Posted by theAlaskanBear View Post
    Yesterdays rundown:

Deng had 19pts and 8reb, while Boozer had 10pts and 6reb in a Chicago win over the Clippers. I have to say, Hamilton makes them a much more balanced, and dangerous team because they have a second guard option after Rose. Defenders have to play more honest. Rose was more aggressive last night and had 16ast, one off his career high. Noah had his breakout game this year with 19pts.

Elton Brand had 12pts and 7reb in a PHI loss to UTAH.

Dunleavy had 13pts and 5reb in a MIL win.

Battier was 0-5 and had 3reb and 3stl in 23 minutes. He's in a terrible slump -- only shooting 10% -- but the Heat continue to win. LeBron went nuts again 34pts 10ast and 8reb in the win over MIN. Btw, I was a Rubio sceptic, but he is going to be a great PG.

Grant Hill scored 10 as the Suns picked up their first win against the Hornets. Lance Thomas played only 1:30 in the game and was statless. He is averaging only 2 minutes per game -- hopefully he will see some 5-10 minute games.

Shelden Williams was 2-2 with 4pts and 2reb in 8 minutes and the Nets lost to the Hawks.

Kyrie Irving had 20pts 4ast and 5reb in CLE loss to IND in OT. Dahntay Jones had 4pts in limited minutes.

Duhon had 2 points and Redick chipped in 11 in an ORL win over the CHA Jordans. Maggette had 20pts and 7reb and Gerald Henderson struggled shooting but had 8pts 5reb and 3ast. ORL has a pretty weak schedule the next few games -- I think you will continue to see them win with Nelson injured. Duhon/Turkoglu seem to be doing fine initiating the offense.
    I didn't really like Battier going to the Heat from the beginning; he brings great intangibles but I just don't see a good place for him on this roster. Hopefully he gets going and can provide a spark for the Heat off the bench as the season progresses since in all fairness he pretty much just joined the team so he's probably still gelling and learning how to best fit in.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I didn't really like Battier going to the Heat from the beginning; he brings great intangibles but I just don't see a good place for him on this roster. Hopefully he gets going and can provide a spark for the Heat off the bench as the season progresses since in all fairness he pretty much just joined the team so he's probably still gelling and learning how to best fit in.
    In fairness, Battier missed all of the preseason and is nursing a quad injury. He has been getting consistent minutes...so I don't think its an issue of "fit".

Got to watch much of the Magic and Cavs games tonight. Kyrie's still getting used to the pace of the NBA but had a solid game - 13pts and 4asts. He was occasionally out of control (4 turnovers, a couple of which were ugly), but generally did a good job setting up the offense. Not a lot of assists, but many of his passes led to assists.

In the Magic game, JJ played really well. He was a significant part of a 24-7 run to close the game (the Magic were down double-digits in the 4th qtr) - drawing a couple charges, hitting a ridiculous fadeaway falling out of bounds with the shot clock running out, and icing the game with a pair of free throws. The announcers were really positive on his play, both offensively and defensively. He ended up with 21pts in 34min (second-most on the team in both pts and min) and a +/- of +26 (highest on the team). Duhon didn't really stand out but got good minutes.

Richardson hasn't exactly been setting the world on fire...any chance Redick challenges for the starting role at some point this season?

I disagree. Battier is the coach this team needs. He is definitely a director on the defensive end of the court. He took three very important charges last night that got his teammates amped up, and really saved the game for them. Last year it seemed like the Heat were unable to stop big runs. Battier is the calming and cerebral presence that will allow them to do that.

Richardson hasn't exactly been setting the world on fire...any chance Redick challenges for the starting role at some point this season?
    An interesting question. There are probably others here who follow the Magic more closely than I do, but JJ's 24.05 PER compares quite well with JRich's 9.05, in only 7 fewer min/gm. And while I don't expect JRich to continue playing so poorly, SVG certainly stuck with JJ through most of the second half (including the late rally). We'll see if this turns into a pattern...

will redick start?

The Magic need JJ's scoring with the second unit early in the game, so I think J Rich will continue to start for now, but I think we may see JJ in the line-up more in the 4th quarter like tonight, especially if he keeps up the energy on the defensive end- the Magic seem to play much better on both ends of the floor with him in the game.

JJ +/- Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by mike88 View Post
    The Magic need JJ's scoring with the second unit early in the game, so I think J Rich will continue to start for now, but I think we may see JJ in the line-up more in the 4th quarter like tonight, especially if he keeps up the energy on the defensive end- the Magic seem to play much better on both ends of the floor with him in the game.
    JJ was +26 in a six-point game and scored 21 points. Seems like a statement game. - sage