Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
    Check out Shelden's line from tonight: 20 min, 4-4 FG, 2-2 FT, 10 points, 5 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 block. He did pick up 5 fouls, and it was against the Bobcats, but still, pretty solid night for him.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Check out Shelden's line from tonight: 20 min, 4-4 FG, 2-2 FT, 10 points, 5 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 block. He did pick up 5 fouls, and it was against the Bobcats, but still, pretty solid night for him.
    His rebounding numbers in other recent games have been better, although scoring has been lower. Right now, he
    isn't starting, but might again soon.

Quote Originally Posted by theAlaskanBear View Post
    38 points on just 22 shots
    Meh. I guess that's impressive. I'll give him more credit when he scores 40 on just 13 shots.

I had the pleasure (or displeasure, depending on whether you think this NBA season is watchable) of taking in Blazers/Hornets last night. Nolan had recorded DNP's in the last few Blazer games, so I was hoping that his spirits would not be crushed. Man, I have missed Nolan. He is the consummate teammate. He was always the first off the bench to greet the players on the court and he seems to have good relationships with many of the veterans... including individually choreographed pre-game handshakes with several of them. He was just as fun-loving as he appeared in the Duke Blue Planet videos. As someone who sees little more of the NBA than box scores, it was a great sight to see.

Nolan only made it into the game at the end when Portland had a big lead and he looked a little gimpy/stiff. He ran the point, had a foul and got a shot blocked after driving into traffic. The Blazers did not close the game well (Nolan's +/- was -9 in 3 minutes).

Lance got 12 second half minutes (mid third quarter to mid fourth quarter). He was in a real physical battle with Gerald Wallace and didn't back down (though he picked up 3 non-shooting fouls in the process). He made a nice running J after his man overplayed and missed a steal. He also had a dunk after his man left him to help someone else. His other shot was blocked. He battled hard, but seemed a little undersized in the post to get many rebounds in the game. It was also great to see him in action. I got a little shout-out from him when he saw my Duke when he was doing halftime warm-ups..

With Brook Lopez hurt, Shelden is now starting for the Nets and had 15 and 10 last night as NJ beat the Clippers.

Also, Kyrie hit another game winner last night - and it was on another drive to the basket and difficult finish with 4 seconds left. According to reports, he took over the game late in the 4th quarter.

Also, Lance got 27 minutes last night and had 8 points and 4 rebounds, but NO lost by a point to the Kings. It's still hard to believe that Lance is playing meaningful minutes in the NBA while Nolan rarely gets off the bench and Kyle is still playing overseas. I'm happy for Lance -it's just surprising. Although I do recall Coach K predicting late in the 2010 season that Lance would make the NBA.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post
    With Brook Lopez hurt, Shelden is now starting for the Nets and had 15 and 10 last night as NJ beat the Clippers.
    41 minutes of PT. I'm not sure he had many games at Duke that he never sat down.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I'm happy for Lance -it's just surprising. Although I do recall Coach K predicting late in the 2010 season that Lance would make the NBA.
    Paging Wheat! Although to be fair, I'm quite pleasantly surprised to see Lance in the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Paging Wheat! Although to be fair, I'm quite pleasantly surprised to see Lance in the NBA.
    Lance has done it the hard way - made his bones in the DLeague and got a little shine by playing in the Pam Am Games with other US-based DLeaguers. Talent and physical stature aside, it takes a huge fire in the belly to stick it out and try to make the NBA instead of heading overseas. But, I've seen some articles that suggest that with the lockout driving many borderline NBAers overseas for the guaranteed paychck and crazy amount of injuries this year, it's the easiest year, in years, to make an NBA roster. "Easy" is a relative term as being one of only 450 humans to claim NBA player status is still one of the most exclusive clubs around - but I am glad that Lance has made the most of his chance. I have seen him play a few times and he clearly belongs. What do you think he does out there? Get DIRTY - tough boards, tough D, hard fouls, hard screens - kind of like 2010.

Also, Kyrie hit another game winner last night - and it was on another drive to the basket and difficult finish with 4 seconds left. According to reports, he took over the game late in the 4th quarter.
    He scored 10 in the final 2:30 in what was kind of an epic mano-a-mano with none other than Ty Lawson who had a few big buckets of his own. After Kyrie hit the go ahead with 4 seconds, Lawson drove with Kyrie defending and just missed a well defended lay-up. I'd love to bill it as a Duke v UNC showdown but one of the first people to hug Kyrie as the game ended was Antawn Jameson. It is really tragic that Kyrie never got to play in a UNC game - specifically Game 2 last year in the Dome.

Lance got 27 minutes in a non-blowout game? Wow!

Paul (Cleveland)
    How about that Kyrie Irving? What do you think his ceiling is?

John Hollinger - ESPN
    Heck of a player, reminds me of a bigger CP in some ways with how under control he is all the time and his technical skill. Wouldn't shock me if he's the league's best PG in five years.

Hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    Paul (Cleveland)

John Hollinger - ESPN
    Heck of a player, reminds me of a bigger CP in some ways with how under control he is all the time and his technical skill. Wouldn't shock me if he's the league's best PG in five years.
    Seems unduly critical to me. How about three years?

Paul (Cleveland)

John Hollinger - ESPN
    This is high praise from Hollinger who once said that Chris Paul was one of the very best players in NBA history under 6-4. (behind insider wall, unfortunately). Chris Paul's injuries may have prevented him from challenging Kobe, Lebron and Durant for best in the world, but he's still been incredible. For Kyrie to have almost matched Paul's rookie season is significant. I certainly hope and believe that Hollinger is right and Kyrie will be the cream of the crop in a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by COYS View Post
    Kyrie will be the cream of the crop in a few years.
    Think we'll have to wait that long?

LANCE!

Led the Hornets in scoring tonight with 18 (12-14 FTs), tied for the team lead in rebounds (5), and was second in minutes played (30).

So crazy. So great for him though.

After the VT game, I watched the rest of Knicks v Bucks. The Knicks lost (ugh) but Dunleavy had a great game...25 points, etc. There wasn't a lot of D being played, but he played like what he is...a wiley vet.

Kyrie and the Cavs won on the road at OKC, somewhere the Thunder had won 14 straight.

"Neither team led by more than five until the final minute, when the Cavaliers were putting the finishing touches on a 12-0 run spearheaded by Irving.
    Irving drove for a pair of layups to put Cleveland ahead and then found Jamison wide open under the basket for a layup to make it 90-85."

Kyrie is such a gamer, my god.

After the VT game, I watched the rest of Knicks v Bucks. The Knicks lost (ugh) but Dunleavy had a great game...25 points, etc. There wasn't a lot of D being played, but he played like what he is...a wiley vet.

Kyrie and the Cavs won on the road at OKC, somewhere the Thunder had won 14 straight.

"Neither team led by more than five until the final minute, when the Cavaliers were putting the finishing touches on a 12-0 run spearheaded by Irving.
    Irving drove for a pair of layups to put Cleveland ahead and then found Jamison wide open under the basket for a layup to make it 90-85."

Kyrie is such a gamer, my god.
    Seriously. Also, he hasn't been diming all that much this year, relatively speaking, but he's upped his assists recently, including 12 last night . . . against one of the two best teams in the league on their famously difficult home court. And oh yeah, he's 19.

Quote Originally Posted by COYS View Post
    Seriously. Also, he hasn't been diming all that much this year, relatively speaking, but he's upped his assists recently, including 12 last night . . . against one of the two best teams in the league on their famously difficult home court. And oh yeah, he's 19.
    Kyrie will be the consensus best pg in NBA by All-Star break 2014... he is amazing!

Led the Hornets in scoring tonight with 18 (12-14 FTs), tied for the team lead in rebounds (5), and was second in minutes played (30).
    WOW! Way to go Lance! In a non-blowout game too!

Meanwhile, up here in Boston, got a chance to see Nolan play last night. Got about 9 minutes, played O.K.
    hit a couple of buckets. He didn't look out of place, but I'm not sure Portland is the right team for him.
    Portland wins on athleticism and depth, but doesn't shoot well. So, the fact that he isn't all that quick or
    good at delivering the ball down low is a minus, but his outside shooting (which they clearly need, at
    least from someone) is a plus. I'd say a trade to a slower team that runs a more deliberate half court
    offense featuring good outside shooting wouldn't hurt him any. We'll see what happens. I would say
    the Knicks or a similar team might be a good fit for him.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunDevil View Post
    Kyrie will be the consensus best pg in NBA by All-Star break 2014... he is amazing!
    That certainly could happen. Kyrie is amazing and it wouldn't shock me to see him reach that point in 2 years. But there are some incredible PGs in the League right now, so it might take him a few more years to reach that prominant position. But regardless of whether he's considered the best, 2nd best, or 3rd best PG in the NBA in a couple of years, he's a stud. In my opinion, he's going to go down as the best Duke pro of all time (up to this point). Had Grant not had his career interrupted with the ankle/leg issues he'd have been a tough act to top, imho. Heck, he's still a tough act to top! But I do believe Kyrie has a fantastic shot to be considered the best pro yet coming out of Duke.