Page 20 of 23 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Bigs

The only reason I selected this timeline is because I have heard on this board some posters saying the current recruits do not remember when Carlos and Elton played at Duke although they are doing very well in the league because these recruits were barely 8-10 years old then.
    And to the poster who says I am doing negative recruiting, I am only member of this board and do not belong and post in any other college boards. Having said that, my posts are very objective and and not very duke colored. You are free to go back and check my previous posts from my profile page. Most of posts are very objective and not biased towards any school.
    Last edited by IBleedBlue; 04-10-2012 at 06:52 PM.

I caught the 4th Quarter of the Celtics v Heat game last night and the entire Knicks v Bulls game.

For Duke related news, I was taken aback to see our Shane getting into multiple scuffles with KG. First off, let me say that I think KG is a punk of the highest order. I don't care if he is a Hall of Famer, he is always starting stuff on the court, and I got the feeling that he was agitating Shane as a way of welcoming him to the Celtics/Heat rivalry. There were all kinds off after whistle shoves and intentional bumps, Shane was even doing some of it after a while. But, I have to give KG credit, the guy hit every big shot in the 4th quarter. The Celtics look ready to contend again. The big 3 are healthy, Rondo is still playing out of his mind, and Avery Bradley (Texas) and Brandon Bass have stepped into the starting line-up with Ray Allen coming off the bench. Plus, the big kid Greg Stiemsma from Wisconsin gives them a lot of quality minutes. They look for real.

As for the Knicks/Bulls, Deng has really raised his game to where, especially with Rose out for the last 10-12 games, he is aggressively hunting his shot. He also consistently nails the 3. Boozer is clearly not the same player he once was. But, that team goes about 10 deep and and plays animalistic defense. Plus, they've got Rip Hamilton starting to look something like his old self. Between Chicago, Miami and Boston, someone really good is going to come out of the East. It really feels like the title is up for grabs, none of these teams are a notch above the others, including OKC and the Spurs. You might wind up with a geriatric NBA finals - Celtics v Spurs!

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    I caught the 4th Quarter of the Celtics v Heat game last night and the entire Knicks v Bulls game.

For Duke related news, I was taken aback to see our Shane getting into multiple scuffles with KG. First off, let me say that I think KG is a punk of the highest order. I don't care if he is a Hall of Famer, he is always starting stuff on the court, and I got the feeling that he was agitating Shane as a way of welcoming him to the Celtics/Heat rivalry. There were all kinds off after whistle shoves and intentional bumps, Shane was even doing some of it after a while. But, I have to give KG credit, the guy hit every big shot in the 4th quarter. The Celtics look ready to contend again. The big 3 are healthy, Rondo is still playing out of his mind, and Avery Bradley (Texas) and Brandon Bass have stepped into the starting line-up with Ray Allen coming off the bench. Plus, the big kid Greg Stiemsma from Wisconsin gives them a lot of quality minutes. They look for real.

As for the Knicks/Bulls, Deng has really raised his game to where, especially with Rose out for the last 10-12 games, he is aggressively hunting his shot. He also consistently nails the 3. Boozer is clearly not the same player he once was. But, that team goes about 10 deep and and plays animalistic defense. Plus, they've got Rip Hamilton starting to look something like his old self. Between Chicago, Miami and Boston, someone really good is going to come out of the East. It really feels like the title is up for grabs, none of these teams are a notch above the others, including OKC and the Spurs. You might wind up with a geriatric NBA finals - Celtics v Spurs!
    I agree with almost everything you said. KG definitely plays for the advantage, and there is no way refs can whistle all the holding, shoves, hooks, etc...but that is part of what makes him a great competitor. He will pursue every advantage within a game...if that means he has to get physical and dirty, so be it. Chicago has played amazing well without Rose...but I don't think its entirely an accident. They get a lot more movement and involvement in the offense without Rose, though their margin of error is smaller without him. I don't think they could play this way a whole season without Rose, but for 30-40 games sure...everyone has stepped up. Concerning Boozer, he is not as explosive as he was, though Carlos had some great dunks last night which you dont see every day. Utah Boozer we will not see, simply because Deron Williams is the best pick and roll PG in the league. Rose is not the passer nor the picknroll-picknpop player that Williams was in Utah. Boozer in Chicago is now more dependent upon hustle points (tip-ins, rebound putbacks) and jump shots that are not created from pick and rolls. What I have noticed is if the offense starts to stagnate Boozer will get passes on the elbows and go into jumpshot mode. The key this season will be Hamilton. If he is healthy enough to play good D he will be a great compliment to Rose because he is an efficient scorer and doesnt need the ball to make shots.

If any gets to watch the Bulls regularly (Chicago market) please weigh in.

Agreed on KG

KG is from my hometown and we are about the same age. IMHO, he always had an attitude problem. I remember going into his senior year, KG with approximately 8 buddies attacked a kid. The kid was put in the hospital with serious injuries. He later identified KG as one of his assailants who was kicking him while he was on the ground and KG was arrested and charged with lynching. Somehow within a month Garnett was able to up and move from Mauldin to Chicago to play for Farragut High with Ronnie Fields, and his charges disappeared.

At the parks, he was always started stuff with anyone playing against him. Unfortunately for him, when I knew him he was 6-9 and looked like he weighed less than 180lbs, so he took a few beatings when his posse wasn't around.

Usually the "local kid makes good in the NBA" is a big deal, but not for most of the people who knew him.

The Knicks and Bucks are in a heated struggle for the last Eastern Conference Playoff spot (along with the 76ers). They played each other last night and it is the second consecutive time that Mike Dunleavy has absolutely torched the Knicks in the first half and disappeared in the second. As a Knicks fan, this works for me as I get to see him play well for a stretch and then not hurt my team in crunch time. He added a particularly horrible brick in the final minute which also helped. Being a huge fan of a college and NBA team will put one in some tough rooting situations.

I have also been watching a lot of JR Smith since he joined the Knicks. It is really a shame that he never enrolled at UNC as it may have been fun to watch him drive the coaches crazy. Then again, he also may have dropped 30 on us so it's probably best that he never donned the baby blue. Shaun Livingston had a less than 1 minute stint on the floor for the Bucks...another might-have-been figure in the Duke v UNC rivalry. I have to give the kid credit. Despite that horrendous knee injury, he has stuck around the league and made himself $21MM and counting.

I don't know if Mike Dunleavy's getting enough attention. Here is Bucks blog, brewhoop.com, on the Sixth Man race:
    _________

The Sixth Man. James Harden looks like the clear-cut winner of the NBA's Sixth Man Award in 2012. Then again, Mike Dunleavy has had one hell of year for the Bucks. But since it's such a clear decision, I shouldn't even have to tell you which player is which, right?

GP Min USG FG% 3P% FT% eFG% TS% Assist Rate TO Rate Win Shares PER

Player A 45 26.5 18.68 49.2 42.9 81.7 58 61.5 20.41 9.11 5.52 17.31

Player B 55 31.8 21.43 49 38.7 83.6 57.8 65.5 25.55 15.02 7.12 20.84

I think Shane's non-scoring value is being diminished by the fact that the Heat bench can't score a lick! In a marquee game against the Bulls last night, the Heat lost a heart breaker in overtime. What stood out to me, even though the team only lost by 10, the Heat was -31 in Shane's 31 minutes on the floor. Yikes! His value has always been that the stats were modest but the +/- was hugely plus.

Had free tickets to the Bobcats vs Hornets game last night so i went and watched two of the worst teams in the association play. The bobcats are terrible, absolutely terrible, though the Hornets aren't a whole lot better. They put up only 67 points on the night, however G put up 27 of those 67. Lance started the game but ended up playing only 13 min and not scoring. G looked pretty good but it was hard to tell with both teams playing so poorly.

The two teams combined for 2-27 from three point range.

Did anyone catch Nolan's stats last night?

N. Smith(notes) 32:53 6-14 1-2 1-1 -7 1 3 5 0 2 0 2 4 14

14 points, 5 assists, 0 turnovers, 2 steals - great night!

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Ichabod Drain View Post
    Had free tickets to the Bobcats vs Hornets game last night so i went and watched two of the worst teams in the association play. The bobcats are terrible, absolutely terrible, though the Hornets aren't a whole lot better. They put up only 67 points on the night, however G put up 27 of those 67. Lance started the game but ended up playing only 13 min and not scoring. G looked pretty good but it was hard to tell with both teams playing so poorly.

Maybe that's why the ticket was free

Quote Originally Posted by Ichabod Drain View Post

The Bobcats are at risk of finishing with the worst winning percentage in the history of the league. The fact that they are about to do so eight years out from expansion, not the immediate years after the expansion is a pretty telling management issue.

G is having a really nice season. I hope he can build on the success...his biggest flaw right now is his 3-pt shooting, which really is the Bobcats weakness...they are a league worst .298 (and they are also last in FG%).

I find this amusing because the old Charlotte Hornets hold the record for best 3pt% shooting in NBA history: .428
    Glen Rice, Tony Delk, Dell Curry, Mugsy Bogues, Ricky Pierce all shot lights out, and only 3 players shot under 30% from three -- Vlade Divac (11-47) and two others with 4 attempts total. Oh, but for a return to the days of George Shinn! o.O

Quote Originally Posted by 1 24 90 View Post
    Did anyone catch Nolan's stats last night?

N. Smith(notes) 32:53 6-14 1-2 1-1 -7 1 3 5 0 2 0 2 4 14

14 points, 5 assists, 0 turnovers, 2 steals - great night!
    Great to hear. Lets hope he keeps it up!

Quote Originally Posted by theAlaskanBear View Post
    The Bobcats are at risk of finishing with the worst winning percentage in the history of the league. The fact that they are about to do so eight years out from expansion, not the immediate years after the expansion is a pretty telling management issue.
    This is a bit off topic, but I don't personally think that blowing up the team on purpose to get a good draft pick is really a huge "management issue"

Obviously the Bobs are horrible, but they traded away or let go of all of their semi-quality players last year or 2 years ago to pursue a different direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Gewebe14 View Post
    This is a bit off topic, but I don't personally think that blowing up the team on purpose to get a good draft pick is really a huge "management issue"

Obviously the Bobs are horrible, but they traded away or let go of all of their semi-quality players last year or 2 years ago to pursue a different direction.
    I don't know, you have a valid perspective, but I think it is pretty telling that a franchise just 8 years in existance had to blow up their team...

8 years after expansion the Vancouver/Memphis Grizzlies were a 28 win team who found their coach mid-season (Hubie Brown), won 50 games in the next season and were in the playoff for the next three years, avg 47 wins a season.

8 years after the Miami Heat expansion they had been to the playoffs 3 times, and starting their Pat Riley playoff run, and would win 61 games the next year.
    8 years into the Charlotte Hornets franchise they had been to the playoffs twice. The next season they would win 54 games and start a playoff run 8 in 9 years.
    8 years into the Toronto expansion they had been to the playoffs 3 times, but had plateaued and won only 24 games the next year.
    8 years after the Minnesota expansion, the Timberwolves had just started an 8 season playoff run. They would win 45 games the next year.
    8 years after the Orlando expansion they had been in the playoffs 4 times, including a trip to the NBA finals. The would win 41 games the next year.
    8 years after the Dallas expansion they had been to the playoffs 5 straight seasons, capped off with a trip to the WC finals. They would win 38 games the next year.

So to recap, virtually every expansion team since 1980 had either achieved a great deal more success than the Charlotte Bobcats, or were reaching consistent levels of success Jordan and Bobcats could only dream of, with the exception of the Toronto Raptors who had more initial success but would miss the playoffs consistently after the initial 8 years. I think everyone would acknowledge starting a franchise is hard, but to the be the negative outlier in this case should send a message.

Eh, Jordan realized a fundamental rule: to get a superstar, you either need to draft one or sign one, and you need to be a major market to sign one. Jordan's purposely tanked this team, and it's a legitimate strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by toooskies View Post
    Eh, Jordan realized a fundamental rule: to get a superstar, you either need to draft one or sign one, and you need to be a major market to sign one. Jordan's purposely tanked this team, and it's a legitimate strategy.
    And based on Jordan's history, he sure has shown himself to be a good judge of talent...

It's a very risky strategy. Since the weighted lottery was introduced in 1990, the team with the worst record has only won the lottery 3 times. 3/21. Everyone expects Anthony Davis to be a game changer, but after that? Kidd-Gilchrist could be a star, but that's far from certain. Austin Rivers? Charlotte seems set at guard with Kemba and G. Maybe they are hoping to draft Harrison Bryce-Jordan Barnes?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Nolan was rollin' with 39 minutes and 16 points, starting last night in a loss. All those DNP's at the beginning of the season seem a long ways away now.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

From ESPN Insider - Premium Content - briefly summarized to adhere to posting regs:

There's been a lot of debate about clutch play and coming up big down the stretch of tight games. One preliminary measure is who actually wants the ball in those moments. ESPN tried to do a statistical analysis and used difference in usage rate (the frequency that a player uses his team's possessions via shot, foul shot or turnover) when the scoring margin is within 5 points in the last 5 minutes of the game vs the rest of the time. In other words, who wants the ball and takes the big shots (not counting who actually makes said shots) in those big moments.

The 2011-2012 NBA leader? Kyrie Irving. He's made his fair share of those shots, too.

Unrelated observation - I knew the Bobcats stunk, but I didn't see until now that they'd lost 18 games in a row. That is horrendous. Poor Gerald. Apparently Paul Silas and Tyrus Thomas got in a locker room brawl this past weekend. Good times.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    From ESPN Insider - Premium Content - briefly summarized to adhere to posting regs:

There's been a lot of debate about clutch play and coming up big down the stretch of tight games. One preliminary measure is who actually wants the ball in those moments. ESPN tried to do a statistical analysis and used difference in usage rate (the frequency that a player uses his team's possessions via shot, foul shot or turnover) when the scoring margin is within 5 points in the last 5 minutes of the game vs the rest of the time. In other words, who wants the ball and takes the big shots (not counting who actually makes said shots) in those big moments.

The 2011-2012 NBA leader? Kyrie Irving. He's made his fair share of those shots, too.

Unrelated observation - I knew the Bobcats stunk, but I didn't see until now that they'd lost 18 games in a row. That is horrendous. Poor Gerald. Apparently Paul Silas and Tyrus Thomas got in a locker room brawl this past weekend. Good times.
    While it's dangerous to suggest that coaches should be allowed to be physical with players, I think I'm going to give Silas a pass. After getting their butt kicked on the court apparently Silas slammed Thomas into a locker because he was too friendly with the opposing team. Thats some old school right there. I'm torn because I can't condone violence in a coaching setting, but damn, the Bobcats suck...it would have been much better if a fellow player did it.

"Silas hates losing to the Celtics, and Paul was even angrier that he thought [Thomas] was acting buddy-buddy with some of their guys," one source said. "That's what got it going. But Paul was yelling at him over his salary, over what they have left to pay him. But it started with him saying, hey, he could live with the losing, but you're going to be buddy-buddy as they're beating your I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. too?"
    http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2012/4/1...rlotte-bobcats

Duke NBA report:

Deng and Boozer both struggled at the Heat last night in what was a chippy, playoff intensity game. James Jones was ejected, there were two flagrant fouls , two sets of double technicals and just all around physicality. Boozer had 10pts on poor shooting, Deng had 11 on poor shooting. Rose did not play.

Dunleavy had 23 and 8reb in the Milwaukee loss. Grant Hill had a DNP. Dahntay was 0-4 with 2pts and 3reb in the Indiana win.

Playoff Picture:
    With the loss MIL is now 3 back and out of the playoff picture for that last spot (but not technically eliminated), but PHX moved into the 8th spot in the west with the win by virtue of a division record tiebreaker with Utah. Should the standings stay as they are, you will have Deng, Boozer and Bulls as the 1 seed in the East. Battier and the Heat are the 2 seed with an outside chance of catching CHI for the 1. Dahntay Jones and the Pacers as the 3 seed. JJ, Duhon and the Magic as the 6 seed. Elton Brand and PHI are the 8 seed.

In the west, McRoberts and the Lakers are the 3 seed, and Hill and the Suns are a precarious 8 seed.
    Last edited by theAlaskanBear; 04-20-2012 at 07:59 AM.

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Quote Originally Posted by theAlaskanBear View Post
    While it's dangerous to suggest that coaches should be allowed to be physical with players, I think I'm going to give Silas a pass. After getting their butt kicked on the court apparently Silas slammed Thomas into a locker because he was too friendly with the opposing team. Thats some old school right there. I'm torn because I can't condone violence in a coaching setting, but damn, the Bobcats suck...it would have been much better if a fellow player did it.

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2012/4/1...rlotte-bobcats

Duke NBA report:

Deng and Boozer both struggled at the Heat last night in what was a chippy, playoff intensity game. James Jones was ejected, there were two flagrant fouls , two sets of double technicals and just all around physicality. Boozer had 10pts on poor shooting, Deng had 11 on poor shooting. Rose did not play.

Dunleavy had 23 and 8reb in the Milwaukee loss. Grant Hill had a DNP. Dahntay was 0-4 with 2pts and 3reb in the Indiana win.

Playoff Picture:
    With the loss MIL is now 3 back and out of the playoff picture for that last spot (but not technically eliminated), but PHX moved into the 8th spot in the west with the win by virtue of a division record tiebreaker with Utah. Should the standings stay as they are, you will have Deng, Boozer and Bulls as the 1 seed in the East. Dahntay Jones and the Pacers as the 3 seed. JJ, Duhon and the Magic as the 6 seed. Elton Brand and PHI are the 8 seed.

In the west, McRoberts and the Lakers are the 3 seed, and Hill and the Suns are a precarious 8 seed.
    Don't forget Shane and the Heat in the #2 spot in the East.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”