Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 448
  1. #61
    Not sure if someone has posted this before, but Cavaliers coach Byron Scott had some words about Kyrie a few days ago (and as the article points out, Scott knows something about good point guards, having played with Magic Johnson and coached Jason Kidd and Chris Paul). Hope this isn't too long a quote:

    “Every day I see glimpses of what this kid can do,” Scott said. “Then maybe 10 minutes later, he’ll show me he’s still a rookie. It brings a smile to my face, though, because we’ve got a good one.”
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...Q7O_story.html

  2. #62
    Quote Originally Posted by Gthoma2a View Post
    Could the limited number of games played for Kyrie fooled people into thinking he was more developed than he is? I am not saying it is for sure the case, but does anybody else get the feeling that he will have to work more than people thought?

    I feel like his athleticism is there, and he will no doubt be a very good pro, but could we have started to imagine him as being better than he was because we missed him so much over the season? It is like Tim Tebow. He was a great college player, but his fan base makes him out to be something that he isn't. The injury kept us from seeing weaknesses last season. In Kyrie's instance, it isn't the weaknesses we saw, but what we didn't see that may have built our own image of Kyrie that wasn't real. My point being, he will be a good pro, but could we have been wrong in thinking he was already on that level? Didn't he even have limited workouts for scouts? I get the nagging feeling that he could have used a full season to develop. He was a great player, but you can only grow so much in a few games. Wall had a full season, as do most first overall picks. Kyrie had a long layoff, and, while he hedged his bets by taking the money quick, he may have to learn on the job with some bigger bumps along the way.

    Analogy of what I am asking, isn't it hard to analyze a prizefighter who only has a hand full of fights?
    Kyrie has a lot to learn as does every rookie player who comes into the league. Kyrie played two preseason games- against the same team and had very little practice time with his team- a team which is really not that good. His main weakness is lack of experience. He also lacks a great player on the team that demands attention. He will figure it out and learn to learn how to use his tools effectively. I expect some struggles early.
    dukelifer

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Can we please spell Redick's name correctly?

    Others may disagree but I've never considered Livingston a part of the Duke family.


    Quote Originally Posted by -bdbd View Post
    Some added notes for tonight in the NBA for "Duke guys:"


    Luol Deng (CHI) - Led all CHI scorers (by a lot) with 22 pts (10 of 15 shooting), 10 reb, in 39 min.
    Carlos Boozer (CHI) - Also started for CHI, in the close loss to GS played 25 min, scored 6 pts (3 of 5 shooting), with 3 Reb's.
    Elton Brand (PHI) - Started and played 27 min., scoring 10 pts and 8 reb's in a close loss.
    Grant Hill (PHX) - Started and played 23 min., scoring 6 pts and 7 reb's in the Phoenix loss.
    McBob (LAL) - Started and played 21 minutes, scoring just 2 points (0-2 shooting) and 5 reb's for the Lakers losing to Sac.
    Nolan Smith (POR) - For the winning Trailblazers speelled starting PG Ray "God" Felton for just 3 pts in 3 minutes of play.
    Shaun Livingston (MIL) - Always a Dukie in my heart, seems to be coming back nicely from that horribleiknee injury5 years ago, as the 6th man for Milw., playing 35 minutes (!!) and scoring 14 pts, with 6 assists and 4 reb's in their close loss to Charlotte. (Kinda fun seeing two guys who coulda easily have been Duke teammates playing together in the pro's - SL and Mike Dun.)
    Chris Duhon (Orl) - Back-up PG Chris D. plays 18 min and scores 5 pts (2-4) with 2 assists. Of note, he outscored starting PG Nelson in slightly more than half the minutes. If Nelson keeps playing like this expect to see Chris playing many more minutes...)

    OVERALL NOT A BAD "OPENING" NIGHT FOR NBA DUKIES - ESP. Henderson, Deng, Maggette, Dunleavy, Reddick, and Brand. And I expect Kyrie to settle in nicely after some initial jitters. He's a core piece of the Cav's future for a long time.

    BTW, Jason, I understand/agree with your point about the message Duke can truthfully emphasize to recruits, but it sure is hard to fit that "on a bumper sticker." It would be really key to see a superstar develop to carry the Duke flag in the league, maybe from among Kyrie, Deng, Reddick, Boozer, Henderson....

    --- BD- "unfortunately that seems to be what kids notice more" -BD

  4. #64
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Others may disagree but I've never considered Livingston a part of the Duke family.
    Correct. He never stepped foot on campus as a student, never played a game in a Duke uni. Putting SL in the Duke family is identical to putting Kris Humphries in the family, which i don't hear anyone clamoring for.
    I too am pleased to see that he is recovering well from such a horrible injury, but he does not belong in the Duke Alum list.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hot'Lanta... home of sports teams that disappoint in the playoffs
    Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    Correct. He never stepped foot on campus as a student, never played a game in a Duke uni. Putting SL in the Duke family is identical to putting Kris Humphries in the family, which i don't hear anyone clamoring for.
    I too am pleased to see that he is recovering well from such a horrible injury, but he does not belong in the Duke Alum list.
    Hang on a sec. I agree that Livingston does not belong on the alum list, but to put him in the same boat as Hump... well, that just ain't fair.

    One kid committed to Duke; wanted to come here; but was presented with an incredible opportunity to advance directly to the NBA (as a high lottery pick) with a massive guaranteed contract and took it.

    The other kid committed to Duke; tried to get a playing time commitment out of Coach K; decided that if he was going to have to "earn" his playing time, he was going to play somewhere else; and then arranged to not say mean things about Duke in exchange for us helping him to get immediately eligible at Minnesota (where he barely unpacked his bags before heading directly to the NBA as a mid first-round pick).

    I don't see them nearly the same. Livingston wanted to play at Duke. Humphries wanted to use Duke and, when we refused to be used, he went elsewhere.

    -Jason "I've always rooted for SL in the pros... and felt like he was a Dukie at heart" Evans
    Don't ask me why, but my mother is making me Tweet. Says it will be good for my career. So, follow my ramblings, mostly on the film industry, @TVFilmTalk

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Philly
    Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    Shane is versatile enough to play the 2-4, so I'm sure they'll find a way to get him some minutes, but I don't think he's going to play a ton if all the players ahead of him stay healthy. Call it ~15-18mpg (I wouldn't be surprised if it was less, actually), and less in close games (i.e. playoffs) where the starters play more. Wade will play 35+ at the 2, Lebron 38+ at the 3, and Haslem will play a lot at the 4 as well. Add in James Jones to the mix, who is a solid player and great shooter and its going to be tough to see a ton of minutes. But I do think he'll spell all 3 of those guys at times (Wade, Bron, Haslem) and if/when folks get injured and/or in foul trouble, Battier should be an early option for minutes.
    Shane played 17 mins last night against the Celtics and while its only one game, it was against a top tier opponent and it was close so could be a decent proxy for what we can expect in terms of how many minutes he'll play.

    I didn't see the game, but I went through the play-by-play and attempted to track subs/lineups and it looks like he subbed in for Wade mostly and played the 2 more than the 3 (possibly b/c he needed to guard Ray Allen vs Paul Pierce who didn't play). Lebron and Wade played 36 mins each, Bosh 37 and Haslem 31, so even with those guys getting lots of minutes, he still managed 17 mins, which is about what I expected. Just one game, so we'll see where he averages out, but I think this is a good amount for him and he should be the first wing sub off the bench.

    Bunch of Dukies played last night (with this crammed sked, seems like a bunch of guys will play every night) and I didn't see any really notable stat lines. McBob had 6 and 6 in 20mins, and Dunleavy had 8 assists, but shot 2-9. Glad to see Nolan played 7 mins last night, but its going to be tough for him to see a bunch of time with Jamal Crawford also coming off the bench.

  7. #67
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Hang on a sec. I agree that Livingston does not belong on the alum list, but to put him in the same boat as Hump... well, that just ain't fair.

    One kid committed to Duke; wanted to come here; but was presented with an incredible opportunity to advance directly to the NBA (as a high lottery pick) with a massive guaranteed contract and took it.

    The other kid committed to Duke; tried to get a playing time commitment out of Coach K; decided that if he was going to have to "earn" his playing time, he was going to play somewhere else; and then arranged to not say mean things about Duke in exchange for us helping him to get immediately eligible at Minnesota (where he barely unpacked his bags before heading directly to the NBA as a mid first-round pick).

    I don't see them nearly the same. Livingston wanted to play at Duke. Humphries wanted to use Duke and, when we refused to be used, he went elsewhere.

    -Jason "I've always rooted for SL in the pros... and felt like he was a Dukie at heart" Evans
    Neither belongs in the Duke family, that was my point, not to point out any personal defects or desire to play somewhere else. SL wanted to play in the NBA more than he wanted to play at Duke. Great. KH wanted to play in the NBA more than he wanted to play at Duke, and chose to be an a***ole about it.
    I guess i'm kinda miffed at SL b/c he backed out after committing and cost us a chance to recruit someone for that spot and after Deng left we had no one in that class. That's not really his fault, but it hurt the Duke program for a while. Actually, with the way things shook out, even if KH and SL had come to Duke along with Deng, it's quite possible that all 3 would have been 1-and-done players, leaving Duke w/o a Sr. class anyway.

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    ...McBob had 6 and 6 in 20mins...
    Two of those points came on an alley-oop dunk courtesy of a Steve Blake pass. Check it out at the 0:50 second mark on the game highlight video:

    http://www.nba.com/tvc/index.html?ga...ALAL&brand=TNT
    JBDuke

    Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Roxboro, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by JBDuke View Post
    Two of those points came on an alley-oop dunk courtesy of a Steve Blake pass. Check it out at the 0:50 second mark on the game highlight video:

    http://www.nba.com/tvc/index.html?ga...ALAL&brand=TNT
    Best part might be the announcer saying "Josh McRoberts - all he does is make highlights."

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Deng and Livingston were not in the same class. Humphries was in Deng's class. Livingston was in the same class as DeMarcus Nelson and David McClure.

    Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    Neither belongs in the Duke family, that was my point, not to point out any personal defects or desire to play somewhere
    else. SL wanted to play in the NBA more than he wanted to play at Duke. Great. KH wanted to play in the NBA more than he wanted to play at Duke, and chose to be an a***ole about it.
    I guess i'm kinda miffed at SL b/c he backed out after committing and cost us a chance to recruit someone for that spot and after Deng left we had no one in that class. That's not really his fault, but it hurt the Duke program for a while. Actually, with the way things shook out, even if KH and SL had come to Duke along with Deng, it's quite possible that all 3 would have been 1-and-done players, leaving Duke w/o a Sr. class anyway.

  11. #71
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Deng and Livingston were not in the same class. Humphries was in Deng's class. Livingston was in the same class as DeMarcus Nelson and David McClure.
    Right. Thanks for the correction. Perhaps i should rethink that Livingston situation, although i stand by my assertion that SL does not deserve to be considered "family" by Duke fans.

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil;5t38302
    Right. Thanks for the correction. Perhaps i should rethink that Livingston situation, although i stand by my assertion that SL does not deserve to be considered "family" by Duke fans.
    The 2007 situation was a direct result of the NCAA's short-lived, much-maligned and unmourned 5/8 rule, which limited a school to a maximum of five recruits in one season and eight over two consecutive seasons.

    Duke brought in six players from the h.s. class of 2002. J.J. Redick, Shelden Williams, Michael Thompson and Sean Dockery were the first four.

    Duke was still recruiting Shavlik Randolph and Lee Melchionni. Mel wanted to take that fifth scholarship. Duke accepted with one proviso. Should Randolph also want to come to Duke, Melchionni's family would pay Lee's way for one and only one season.

    That's what happened, of course. [Note than Lee's recruited status means he was never a walk-on.]

    That left Duke with only two scholarships for the following class. Duke only recruited three players from that class, Deng, Humphries and Ebi. The idea was to get Deng and one of the other two.

    That's also what happened. Until Duke pulled the plug on Humphries, too late to fill the class with a second player.

    Now, none of Deng, Humphries or Ebi was going to be around in 2007. So, K warrants some blame for this. The best move would have been to redshirt Melchionni as a freshman. He played all of 71 minutes that season. Duke could have traded that 2003 season for a 2007 season, in which Melchionni would have been a fifth-year senior, ready to contribute on the court, while providing the veteran leadership that team so desperately needed.

    There's an even more tantalizing possibilty. Shav went to the NBA following the 2005 season in part because he wasn't sure he would start the following season, with McRoberts joining Williams. Imagine Randolph coming back in 2006 but redshirting and playing in 2007 as a fifth-year senior.

    I suspect Shav was ready to get out of Dodge after 2005, so this scenario likely is the product of a fevered imagination. But the Melchionni scenario seems plausible and possible to me.

    But we all know what they say about hindsight.

  13. #73
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington, D.C.

    Irving

    Watched the first few minutes of Irving and four other guys wearing Cavs uniforms (including an ancient Jamison) against four guys wearing Pistons uniforms. Irving looked great: three quick assists and two buckets.

    Can't say much about watching the NBA, however. I really wonder how the players feel in a game like this. Not much real excitement.

  14. #74
    Gerald had a huge game for the Bobcats, scoring 21 points and hitting a super clutch three to put his team up one over the Heat with 12 seconds left...But ended up on the losing end after Wade hit the game winner with 2.9 seconds. Kyrie ended up having a solid game in a 16 point victory at Detroit, netting 14 points on 5-9 shooting and dishing out 7 assists. Brandon Knight tallied 23 points and 6 assists for the Pistons.

  15. #75
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    raleigh
    hey , does anyone have a new link that gives us the dukies in the nba totals each night...?


    it used to be
    http://huckleberry.mhc.edu/devilStats.html

    that doesn't seem to work...


    thx
    "Either we're going down, or they are....... Kirk out!"

  16. #76
    Dahntay Jones was 2-6 with 4 points in 16 minutes in an Indiana win.

    Gerald Henderson had a big game -- 21 points 4ast and 3reb on 10-19 in a last second loss to Miami. He hit a go-ahead 3 with 12 seconds but Dwayne Wade hit a buzzer beater. Maggette had a rough game finishing with just 6-points but added 8rebs. Battier was 0-2 in 19 minutes but blocked 3 shots and grabbed 2 boards for the winning team.

    Irving had a much better game tonight, 14points 7ast, and 4rebs as the Cavs beat the Pistons.

    Grant Hill had 14points on 4-12 shooting in a PHX loss to PHI. Brand had 4points and 9rebs.

    Think I caught all the Dukies in action, but...

  17. #77
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Nashville
    Quote Originally Posted by theAlaskanBear View Post
    Dahntay Jones was 2-6 with 4 points in 16 minutes in an Indiana win.

    Gerald Henderson had a big game -- 21 points 4ast and 3reb on 10-19 in a last second loss to Miami. He hit a go-ahead 3 with 12 seconds but Dwayne Wade hit a buzzer beater. Maggette had a rough game finishing with just 6-points but added 8rebs. Battier was 0-2 in 19 minutes but blocked 3 shots and grabbed 2 boards for the winning team.

    Irving had a much better game tonight, 14points 7ast, and 4rebs as the Cavs beat the Pistons.

    Grant Hill had 14points on 4-12 shooting in a PHX loss to PHI. Brand had 4points and 9rebs.

    Think I caught all the Dukies in action, but...
    Gerald is really starting off hot this year. He might be next in line after Battier to become the best Duke defender in the NBA. His offense is looking much better, too. If he can figure out a way to reduce his turnovers a bit and get to the free throw line a little more, he just might turn himself into the total package. His defense against Wade on the game winning shot was excellent. Honestly, there's not much else he could have done. He stayed in front of Wade, didn't let him overpower him once he got close to the basket, stayed on the ground following Wade's pump fake, and contested the fade-away jumper as well as you could hope for. If the shot had not gone in, Gerald would've gotten even more acclaim for his all around game against what might be the best team in the league.

  18. #78
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    He's starting to show why we knew he would eventually be a good NBA player. His shooting range wasn't
    quite in the 2 guard range in college, but I think he's fixed that. Glad he's stepping up now.

  19. #79
    Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    hey , does anyone have a new link that gives us the dukies in the nba totals each night...?


    it used to be
    http://huckleberry.mhc.edu/devilStats.html

    that doesn't seem to work...


    thx
    You can try these links, which are from an NBA fantasy league with teams separated by college attended set up by someone on another board:
    Stats Today
    Season Averages

    Alternatively, you can go to to click on the players from this ESPN link:
    http://espn.go.com/nba/players/_/college/150

  20. #80
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Elton Brand's decline is apparent and sad. At 32, it looks like all the injuries may have finally caught up with him. The Sixers are paying him a boatload of money for those 7 points per game. Not sure if his salary makes him unmoveable or not.

    I suspect his all-star days are behind him. Hopefully, he'll warm up as the season progresses and became a solid player.

Similar Threads

  1. For Old Dukies Only
    By dukepsy1963 in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 102
    Last Post: 03-30-2012, 11:47 PM
  2. Top 5 Dukies
    By lotusland in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 90
    Last Post: 01-13-2011, 01:05 PM
  3. Dukies in the NBA- Sat Nov 3
    By DukeBlood in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-04-2007, 07:57 AM
  4. Dukies in the NBA- Sat Nov 3
    By JasonEvans in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-04-2007, 07:50 AM
  5. Dukies in the NBA - Fri Nov 2
    By JasonEvans in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-03-2007, 07:25 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •