Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Twitter Cheer Sheets

Bill Simmons is trying something that might work in the Cam

He is using Twitter to organize chants at tonight's Celtics game:

http://twitter.com/CelticsChants

It isn't working well for him, but it is an interesting idea.

I also like the prospect of Simmons pioneering something that the Crazies end up using to good effect.

Lord save us from twitter.

Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
    Lord save us from twitter.
    Can you imagine 800 Crazies tweeting or twitting or whatever different messages in Cameron? Talk about no coordination!
    DukeDevilDeb

Sorta' like texting while driving, don't you think?

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDevilDeb View Post
    Can you imagine 800 Crazies tweeting or twitting or whatever different messages in Cameron? Talk about no coordination!
    There would be a single Cheer coordinator. When he/she "tweets" everyone who has a smartphone (I assume there is wireless internet available to student in the Cam) or a 3G phone and "follows" the Cheer coordinator on Twitter will receive the next cheer "suggestion."

The issue arises if there is a disagreement as to who the cheer coordinator will be.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    There would be a single Cheer coordinator. When he/she "tweets" everyone who has a smartphone (I assume there is wireless internet available to student in the Cam) or a 3G phone and "follows" the Cheer coordinator on Twitter will receive the next cheer "suggestion."

The issue arises if there is a disagreement as to who the cheer coordinator will be.
    HLM would have to do it. Either that or Viking Ed. Someone please tell me he hasn't graduated (I know he posts here all the time). He was there years before I was a U-grad, then years after I was a U-grad. I don't think I can deal with him leaving. If you read this Viking Guy, you've used my duke card more than once. Still waiting on that check (ok, my dad is waiting on that check...but he posts here too!)

Also, neither a smartphone nor a 3G phone is required to access twitter via mobile.

(I work in the wireless industry )

How long has it been "the cam"?
    Trinity '09

Quote Originally Posted by CrazieDUMB View Post
    Might be better to ask how long has it been SINCE it was called "the Cam"

It has been a few years (decades) since I have visited the holy land.

9. I thought it was funny that a notorious Duke hater (owns a Duke sucks t-shirt) came up with an idea so close to cheer sheets.

It actually seemed to work fairly well towards the end. Watching on TV you could hear very loud New York Knicks chants with Lebron at the foul line. That was what Simmons tweeted. For a first try it seemed to go OK.

If you could get a section of an arena full of diehard fans all going with the same chant it could work. Pretty much how Cameron works but with someone organizing via twitter instead of the sheets.

Partly Orlando, FL partly heard Sandpoint, ID
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazieDUMB View Post
    Since Brad Musberger has done games. You know, at The Cameron, at the Pauley, and at the Hinkle.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrianZoubekExperience View Post
    I thought it was funny that a notorious Duke hater (owns a Duke sucks t-shirt) came up with an idea so close to cheer sheets.

It actually seemed to work fairly well towards the end. Watching on TV you could hear very loud New York Knicks chants with Lebron at the foul line. That was what Simmons tweeted. For a first try it seemed to go OK.

If you could get a section of an arena full of diehard fans all going with the same chant it could work. Pretty much how Cameron works but with someone organizing via twitter instead of the sheets.
    It was funny to see Simmons organize this effort in light of his dislike for Duke. I don't know if he appreciated the link to the Crazies' cheer sheets, but others picked up on this connection. See this piece on Mediaite:

http://www.mediaite.com/online/bill-...-from-twitter/

Key quote: "The only history of anything similar is the college hoops’ fans (probably most known to be conducted the those Blue Devils who camp out in Krzyzewskiville) and chant sheets passed around before games. But that doesn’t allow the on-the-spot mobilization and embracing the technology that so many sports fans bring with them to games."

I also thought the "New York Knicks" chants worked well towards the end of the game. The tv commentators mentioned it at one point.

How the hell we ever came up with cheers in Cameron before the Twitter was invented is a mystery.

Simmons can now be captain of the dork patrol.
    Give him a nice sash to wear.

back in my day, we relied on each other to come up with ideas. If it was a good idea, it spread from person to person VERBALLY until it caught on. If it wasn't ... it didn't spread. Very spontaneous.

btw, you kids, get off my lawn.

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    back in my day, we relied on each other to come up with ideas. If it was a good idea, it spread from person to person VERBALLY until it caught on. If it wasn't ... it didn't spread. Very spontaneous.

I remember those days. A trip to the hospital and a quick shot, everything cleared up in a couple of days

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    HLM would have to do it. Either that or Viking Ed. Someone please tell me he hasn't graduated (I know he posts here all the time). He was there years before I was a U-grad, then years after I was a U-grad. I don't think I can deal with him leaving. If you read this Viking Guy, you've used my duke card more than once. Still waiting on that check (ok, my dad is waiting on that check...but he posts here too!)
    Long gone my friend, long gone. Even grad skool doesn't last forever.

You must have been an undergrad for an incredibly short period of time. Viking Guy was only active in Cameron from 2001-2002 to 2005-2006.

And I don't remember ever borrowing a card, LOL.

Are you referring to oral tradition as a means of passing on information, traditions, history, etc.?

I went through the 5 stages of grief when a guy I worked with (who happens to be a card carrying Tar Heel IC guy, not to mention a brutally incompetent cardiologist) informed me that the Cameron Crazies used "cheer sheets".

Stage 1: "Bull$!#*"
    Stage 2: "Tar Heel!"
    Stage 3: "Yeah, well there are plenty of dorks at UNC...like Kris Lang."
    Stage 4: "I can't believe they actually used cheer sheets. WTF?"
    Stage 5: "Oh, well. Cameron still rocks."

I'm not against technology, but having some kind of e-cheerleader tweeting out cheer instructions seems kind of, well, nerdy. I'm basically with Hurleyfor3 and cspan...the old way of using word-of-mouth to pass around a great chant idea worked nicely.

8-step program for spontaneous cheering

Reviving this thread ... going through some of the stuff I picked up at the UTK game on the way out of Thompson-Boling, there were sheets for the students which included on one side, a schedule + the opponents' roster, and on the other, words to the various school songs (I admit, that would have been helpful for me ... never learned the alma mater at Duke), plus 8 specific things to do during the game. Seems to me the kids are missing out on the thrill of coming up with something on the spot and having the idea catch on across the stadium. Anyway, here it is:

• Wear your Rocky Top Rowdies shirt to every home game.

• Hold the newspaper up during opposing team intros.

• During home team introductions, interlock arms and sway back and forth.

• After player introductions, tear up the newspaper into confetti. After the Vols score their first point, throw it up in the air.

• On Tennessee foul shots, hold 1 arm up in the air. Hold 1 finger up in [sic] the first shot and 2 fingers on the second shot.

• Remember the players feed off of the students* so be quick to move on when the other team makes a good play.

• Keep the cheers respectful and try to follow the Rowdy section, we have better impact as studetns if we are all unified in the same cheers.

• When the opposing team is dribbling, each time the ball hits the court, say "WHAT." When the opposing team passes the ball, say "OHHHH."

Kind of makes you wonder if student services has a guide to dating:

"Ask the waiter to bring his freshest bottle of wine"
    "During the movie, pretend to stretch your arms, but after lateral extension, leave one across your date's shoulder"

* That must be Meal Plan C, for cannibal. Do the players ever complain that the fans are tasteless? ...

Reviving this thread ... going through some of the stuff I picked up at the UTK game on the way out of Thompson-Boling, there were sheets for the students which included on one side, a schedule + the opponents' roster, and on the other, words to the various school songs (I admit, that would have been helpful for me ... never learned the alma mater at Duke), plus 8 specific things to do during the game. Seems to me the kids are missing out on the thrill of coming up with something on the spot and having the idea catch on across the stadium. Anyway, here it is:

• Wear your Rocky Top Rowdies shirt to every home game.

• Hold the newspaper up during opposing team intros.

• During home team introductions, interlock arms and sway back and forth.

• After player introductions, tear up the newspaper into confetti. After the Vols score their first point, throw it up in the air.

• On Tennessee foul shots, hold 1 arm up in the air. Hold 1 finger up in [sic] the first shot and 2 fingers on the second shot.

• Remember the players feed off of the students* so be quick to move on when the other team makes a good play.

• Keep the cheers respectful and try to follow the Rowdy section, we have better impact as studetns if we are all unified in the same cheers.

• When the opposing team is dribbling, each time the ball hits the court, say "WHAT." When the opposing team passes the ball, say "OHHHH."

Kind of makes you wonder if student services has a guide to dating:

"Ask the waiter to bring his freshest bottle of wine"
    "During the movie, pretend to stretch your arms, but after lateral extension, leave one across your date's shoulder"

* That must be Meal Plan C, for cannibal. Do the players ever complain that the fans are tasteless? ...

While the information is useful, specific cheers are kinda lame....
    April 1