Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Helfet/Varner...

Considering that neither Helfet or Varner are in the NFL.com database for and only Helfet shows up in the ESPN database, my hopes are not high for their names to be called on the final draft day. I think both could get invited to camps, we'll just have to keep our fingers crossed. Matt Daniels has mixed reviews on most sites, but I think he has a legit chance to get drafted in the 7th.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Matt Daniels signs undrafted free agent contract with the Rams! They are getting a player. Underestimate this kid at your own peril. He is going to play on Sunday's. Mark it.

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    Matt Daniels signs undrafted free agent contract with the Rams! They are getting a player. Underestimate this kid at your own peril. He is going to play on Sunday's. Mark it.
    good for him. I was hoping the cowboys would sign him.

These guys are very high on Daniels, calling him the top safety prospect in the draft...
    http://www.fantasyfootballmetrics.co...-matt-daniels/

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    Amen. Any team that ends up with Matt will be better for it. Great player, great person. All-America and ACC All-Academic.

Congrats to Matt - wish he could have snuck in the draft, though, for selfish reasons. Duke could sure use the bump in players drafted.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    Congrats to Matt - wish he could have snuck in the draft, though, for selfish reasons. Duke could sure use the bump in players drafted.
    It would have been a 1000% jump! I'd be surprised if at least Conner Vernon doesn't get drafted next year. Possibly Kenny Anunike if he plays like he did at the beginning of last year. Maybe Brian Moore if he can stay healthy?

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    It would have been a 1000% jump! I'd be surprised if at least Conner Vernon doesn't get drafted next year. Possibly Kenny Anunike if he plays like he did at the beginning of last year. Maybe Brian Moore if he can stay healthy?
    You would think. I believe Conner Vernon considered entering the draft this year. Danny Coale of VT was drafted this year. Vernon Has better size, close to comparable speed and catches the ball as well or better.

So, who will be invited for tryouts? I would think Helfet, Varner. Are Hatcher and Hill still in the mix, as in interested in giving the tryout route a try?

Read 'em and Weep: Duke's NFL Draft Picks

Here's the data on Duke NFL draft picks vs. other current ACC teams, based on data for the last 12 drafts, 2001-2012:

Code:
    Sch	No.	 Ave. 
    DU	 1	 0.1 
    WF	20	 1.7 
    BC	21	 1.8 
    GT	26	 2.2 
    MD	29	 2.4 
    ST	35	 2.9 
    VA	32	 2.7 
    CL	39	 3.3 
    NC	38	 3.2 
    VT	53	 4.4 
    FS	59	 4.9 
    MI	76	 6.3
    Yep, that's right -- one-twentieth of the number of draft picks of the next LOWEST school in the ACC.

I believe that will begin to change next year, but it hasn't happened yet.

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Here's the data on Duke NFL draft picks vs. other current ACC teams, based on data for the last 12 drafts, 2001-2012:

Code:
    Sch	No.	 Ave. 
    DU	 1	 0.1 
    WF	20	 1.7 
    BC	21	 1.8 
    GT	26	 2.2 
    MD	29	 2.4 
    ST	35	 2.9 
    VA	32	 2.7 
    CL	39	 3.3 
    NC	38	 3.2 
    VT	53	 4.4 
    FS	59	 4.9 
    MI	76	 6.3
    Yep, that's right -- one-twentieth of the number of draft picks of the next LOWEST school in the ACC.

I believe that will begin to change next year, but it hasn't happened yet.

sagegrouse
    Cut was on twitter yesterday with the statement that Helfet, Varner, Hill and Snyderline would make an NFL roster given the chance. One might take that as these guys are seeking tryouts with NFL teams, that Cut is promoting this on their bahalves.

Perhaps we will learn more of this near term.

Cooper Helfet signed with the Seattle Seahawks

He is now on the 90 man roster, and has a shot at making the team. Tight end was considered a need for them after losing John Carlson in free agency.

Quote Originally Posted by bdeviled11 View Post
    He is now on the 90 man roster, and has a shot at making the team. Tight end was considered a need for them after losing John Carlson in free agency.
    I think Helfet can catch at an NFL level. But can he block at an NFL level? That's the rub.

Here's a Duke NFL draftee

We old-timers know all about him. This is presented for the younger set.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post

It's a good thing you do to share some of the talent from the past.

Great programs always have somebody great from the past!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post

I loved watching Curtis play - at Duke and with the Colts. He was one of the best.

Quote Originally Posted by bdeviled11 View Post
    Unfortunately, Seattle released Helfet to make room on the 90 man roster for Kellen Winslow:

http://www.thenewstribune.com/2012/0...k=omni_popular
    Bob Green