Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Congrats to All-America Matt Daniels (Update: Signs UDFA contract with Rams)

From Duke press release

"Duke senior safety Matt Daniels has received second team All-America honors from the Walter Camp Foundation, as announced on Thursday night by the organization.

A native of Fayetteville, Ga., Daniels paced Duke and currently ranks second in the ACC in tackles with 126 total stops while adding 4.0 tackles for loss, 14 pass break-ups and two interceptions on the year. A first team All-ACC selection, Daniels finished third in the balloting for the league's Defensive Player of the Year award after registering the 23rd-highest single-season tackle total in school history.

Daniels reached double figures in the tackle column five times in 2011 including a career-best 18-stop performance in his collegiate final game at North Carolina. In addition, his pass break-up total of 14 marks the second-highest single-season total in school history.

For his career, Daniels played in 46 games with 37 starting assignments and was on the field for 2,737 total snaps. His career totals include 324 tackles, 13.0 tackles for loss, 27 pass break-ups, four interceptions, seven caused fumbles and three fumble recoveries. Daniels is one of 14 players in Duke history to record 300-plus tackles and, on the school's all-time charts, ranks 13th in tackles, tied for sixth in PBUs and third in caused fumbles.

Daniels is the first Duke defensive back to garner All-America accolades since Ray Farmer received a third team citation in 1994."
    Last edited by Newton_14; 04-28-2012 at 10:45 PM.

That is awesome! An All-American in back to back years.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Way to go Matt! Should have been 1st Team but they don't know your skills son, so don't take offense. It's their loss!

#40 was a beast all year long and for this Duke FB Fan he was a bright spot in a year that went offtrack in a way we did not expect. Despite the close losses, and inconsistency in many area's, one thing we knew for absolute certainty every Saturday was that Matt Daniels was going to be all over the field hammering somebody and wreaking havoc.

I will miss seeing him out there wearing Duke Blue on Saturday, but no sweat, I will just catch him a day later! Maybe he will go to the Colts so he doesn't even have to change uniforms!

Congrats to Matt Daniels, All-American. Has a great ring to it!

Congrats Matt! You're AA in my book too!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Congratulations to Matt Daniels who is much deserving of this special recognition. Daniels was the heart and soul of Duke's defense!
    Bob Green

Congrats, Matt Daniels, All-American! It has been a pleasure watching you play the last four years. Best of luck in the future!
    -Son of Jarhead

The Duke fan formerly known as BuschDevil

Congratulations to a great player! It has been a lot of fun watching you play, and thanks for all of your efforts on behalf of our program!

Congrats Matt! You have been a superb representative o0f Duke University.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Very Very cool!!! Lots of kudos must be given to Cut for his pushing for this recognition since it is pretty hard for a guy on a team with only a three win season to get noticed. Congrats Matt!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Congrats to Matt!! Great nose for the ball, loves to hit! Hope to see him in the NFL next year.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Congrats to Matt for his selection. I hope Cutcliffe follows through and hunts down all those who didn't vote him first team.

Congratulations Matt

Thanks for your contributions to Duke Football and good luck in your pursuit of an NFL career. You showed the heart that's needed to make Duke a winning football program. GoDuke!

Draft

Does anyone know how Matt Daniels can run a 4.5 40 and finish his career as a second team all-american yet might not get drafted?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    Does anyone know how Matt Daniels can run a 4.5 40 and finish his career as a second team all-american yet might not get drafted?
    Yes, in three words. He chose Duke.
    Don't take that as an off the cuff joke or slight either, it flat out sucks. But the numbers back it up...and this may tell another tale about why our recruiting success is less than admirable. Just as I'm sure we do in basketball, any team will show off their pro success stories. Duke does have a few..but we have to dig deep to find them since they don't show up on draft day.
    FIRST ROUND PICKS SINCE
    :

Miami: 21
    FSU:
    BC: 7
    UNC: 5

Virginia: 5
    Georgia Tech: 4

NC State: 4
    Maryland: 3

Virginia Tech: 3
    Clemson: 2

Wake Forest: 2

TOTAL PICKS SINCE

Miami: 63
    Virginia
    Tech
    : 46
    FSU: 45
    Clemson: 32

UNC: 32
    Virginia: 31

Maryland: 26
    NC
    State: 26
    Georgia Tech:
    BC: 19
    Wake
    Forest: 16
    Duke: 1
    http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/i...-recent-drafts
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    Matt seems like the kind of player ala Michael Tauillili or Vinny Rey that didn't get drafted and gets an opportunity to make a team in training camp. I suspect if Matt doesn't get drafted he is good enough to get a look from some teams that need some depth in the secondary or help on special teams. Rey made it last year and was on an active roster most of the year. Would love to see Matt get drafted but at the very least he should get invited to a camp. I know for a fact my Washington Redskins could use some help at safety so I'd take him in a heart beat

I might also point out that having watched him for years, he's very good against the run, but has a tendency to be beaten often on pass plays. Just not a great coverage safety.
    We'll see if and when he gets drafted how the pros view him.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I might also point out that having watched him for years, he's very good against the run, but has a tendency to be beaten often on pass plays. Just not a great coverage safety.
    His coverage improved a lot his senior season in my opinion, but that may not have been enough to erase the previous 3 years where his coverage was admittedly suspect at times. Late pick or no I expect Daniels to be in the league, kid is too good not to get picked up.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Yep. NFL teams view Daniels as an under-sized linebacker. And the scouts say he has thick hips.

That said, he appararently had good workouts at Duke. Last round is realistic.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Yep. NFL teams view Daniels as an under-sized linebacker. And the scouts say he has thick hips.

That said, he appararently had good workouts at Duke. Last round is realistic.
    I expect that Donovan Varner will get an invitation to a tryout/camp too.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    I expect that Donovan Varner will get an invitation to a tryout/camp too.
    Don't leave Cooper Helfet off that list. His workouts with Peyton Manning seemed to bring some good results in terms of contacts and visibility.