Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
    A lot of nice people, back in the day, got burned at the stake because of negative comments made about them.
    I bet you weigh the same as a duck...

Hmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    How do you even tell if you've received an anonymous ding? I guess I haven't paid that much attention to it.
    Well, A-Tex, you gotta lot of reading ahead of you. It's under "Settings" as others have pointed out.

sage

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
    100% agreement! I'll bet that a large share of negative comments are made because of disagreement with a post. That's the part I hate, and it's worse when the comment is anonymous. These comments can wrack up bad points against someone, should be changed.
    A lot of nice people, back in the day, got burned at the stake because of negative comments made about them.
    Not to mention the poor wretches who were poked with soft cushions or made to sit in comfy chairs.
    Last edited by killerleft; 12-09-2011 at 08:53 AM.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    i don't like it because you can be attacked with no recourse...i hate that...
    But no one but you can see it

I agree with the overall sentiment that anon comments are annoying. I get them all the time. Heck, I hate it when I get positive anon comments as I would like to thank some folks for their comments. The administrators have looked into making the comment feature non-anon... so far to no avail

I am glad to see that some folks care about and read their comments. Those of you with multiple pitchforks should be proud of the rep you have earned from the community. But, I think it is not worth getting too bent out of shape over a negative ding-- anon or signed. The vast, vast majority of rep points are positive ones and your negative one is likely to be wiped out by many positive ones if you continue to post high-quality material.

--Jason "raaah, raaah, cheer, cheer... I think this post was largely useless... ahh well" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I don't recall ever giving anybody a ding. I've given quite a few sporkie points. I guess if I disagree with someone or find their comment out of line I say so within the thread, no need for a double-negative.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Well, A-Tex, you gotta lot of reading ahead of you. It's under "Settings" as others have pointed out.

sage
    Wow! I figured if I ever received comments they would show up at the top with the # of unread inside ( )'s, like PMs. So now I just discover a bunch from the past 18 months I was totally unaware of. I feel a bit silly now...

The anonymous insults feature has made me question more than once whether it's worthwhile posting here. I've gotten barbs for what I think are fairly innocuous posts.

It's annoying, but fortunately it's fairly easy to ignore the sad and pathetic people who can take the time to flame but apparently don't have the ability to sign their names.

Quote Originally Posted by snowdenscold View Post
    Wow! I figured if I ever received comments they would show up at the top with the # of unread inside ( )'s, like PMs. So now I just discover a bunch from the past 18 months I was totally unaware of. I feel a bit silly now...
    Silly, but hopefully appreciated!!

On a related note, what the heck is that thing that is supposed to be the "report this post" icon? Is it a street lamp? Weird flashlight? A whistle that lights up? I can't quite figure that out.

Quote Originally Posted by feldspar View Post
    On a related note, what the heck is that thing that is supposed to be the "report this post" icon? Is it a street lamp? Weird flashlight? A whistle that lights up? I can't quite figure that out.
    The whistle?

I thought you were a referee.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Of course he his, check out the great eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    TWEET! Flagrant foul! 2 shots and the ball.

Ha ha! Nice...

I guess I didn't recognize it because no respected official uses a pea whistle like that! I can spot a Fox 40 from a mile away though

Understanding that the positive/negative comment feature is a site owner thing, not a mod thing, I would prefer that positive comments be allowed without the negative comment feature. It's very nice to receive (and hand out) positive feedback for the excellent posts we see on these threads. I absolutely agree that those "thumbs up" type comments, while appreciated, are generally best left off the thread and in the private feedback to avoid cluttering the thread.

Posts we don't like or agree with can be dealt with in any of 3 ways, all more productive than "dings". If it's a significant disagreement about content in a post that is relevant to the thread, then it should probably be addressed in the thread, to generate further discussion. If it's relevant to the thread but a minor disagreement, either let it go or discuss it in the thread, but either way an honest difference of opinion probably doesn't deserve a "ding". If it's just a crappy post - completely uninformed, offensive, or overtly negative and/or mean-spirited - the mods tend to be pretty active about policing that sort of thing. A PM to a mod may be worthwhile there if the post is sitting on the thread without any evident action from the mods. Just my opinion, but if a post is bad enough to really deserve a ding, a ding from a mod is probably deserved and has much more bite. I have 3 mod-issued warning flags still lurking atop my settings page and all 3 resulted in an alteration of my posting behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    But no one but you can see it
    but in this case, i'm the only person that matters...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Ha ha! Nice...

I guess I didn't recognize it because no respected official uses a pea whistle like that! I can spot a Fox 40 from a mile away though
    Perhaps as a referee you need a whistle like this then:

400474_1.jpg

Why? That would be expected. Don't accountants always say something dumb?
    Not always. In fact, probably not any more than anyone else. Of course, I often hang out with other accountants - so it just might be hard for me to tell.

On the mod board, I argued against the reputation system, but my ululations fell on deaf ears.

My rationale was that the system could be gamed. A cadre of malcontents could gang up on someone, unfairly.

Then later, as a David Simon disciple, I realized any numbers game is susceptible to gaming. No, it requires gaming.

Then I threw up my hands. I have mostly given up on the human race in general. I salute the CrazieTalk folks for labeling these "sporks." I have ceased to concern myself with sporks.

While spork-appeal is fraught, it's basically a non-issue. Let's all launch ourselves back into death-match arguments about which guard gets how many minutes. It's at least as constructive.

I just got myself negative twenty sporks. Oh well.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    On the mod board, I argued against the reputation system, but my ululations fell on deaf ears.
    At least you tried.
    Have a spork or three.
    spork.gifspork.gifspork.gif
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."