Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Thank you, Devil84, for a most informative post!
    This! I would give you a positive comment, but I've apparently done that too much yesterday and today, so I'm not allowed. Oh well.

Negative comments seem to carry significantly more negative points than positive ones, and I'm not just talking about moderators' comments.
    I'm not a fan of the pitchforks/flames, but they don't bother me except for this feature. I think that any system where the negative reinforcement is stronger than the positive reinforcement is likely flawed. It would be nice if positive/negative were treated at least equitably.

Mostly, though, I'm struck by how much time someone put into developing the algorithm... yikes!

Quote Originally Posted by Lid View Post
    I'm not a fan of the pitchforks/flames, but they don't bother me except for this feature. I think that any system where the negative reinforcement is stronger than the positive reinforcement is likely flawed. It would be nice if positive/negative were treated at least equitably.
    The positive comments are, I believe, worth more than the negative ones. Ozzie's perception of the system is incorrect.

-Jason "Devil84, I think, made this clear earlier" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by devil84 View Post
    Are you reading along wondering whether you've received comments? Go to the Settings link at the very top of the page. You'll see the last 10 comments you've received. A pitchfork gave you points for a positive comment, a flame represents a negative comment that deducted points, and a gray box indicates that it did not alter your point total and you'll need to read it for context.
    So does each comment listed on the Settings page represent a single comment, or is it one comment that is representative of all the comments received on a post? If it's the former, that's very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by whereinthehellami View Post
    As someone who has amassed alot of pitchforks, my advice for those looking to add some utensils to their proverbial drawer need only be patient and try not to game the system. Be the spork!

At the risk of being spanked, this is a very funny post. I just love a wiseguy!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    The positive comments are, I believe, worth more than the negative ones. Ozzie's perception of the system is incorrect.

-Jason "Devil84, I think, made this clear earlier" Evans
    I dunno. I know from experience that being dinged by a mod knocked a cool 50 off my point total once. By the way, I think if a mod is going to do any dinging, they should decide if it's worth a dinging or an infraction. It does not seem quite fair that they can do both at once. IF they do ding, think about the consequences, those suckers pack a punch.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I dunno. I know from experience that being dinged by a mod knocked a cool 50 off my point total once. By the way, I think if a mod is going to do any dinging, they should decide if it's worth a dinging or an infraction. It does not seem quite fair that they can do both at once. IF they do ding, think about the consequences, those suckers pack a punch.
    Especially if they double ding you and TWO of them do it on the same post, even after it has been deleted.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    So does each comment listed on the Settings page represent a single comment, or is it one comment that is representative of all the comments received on a post? If it's the former, that's very interesting.
    Each are single comments. You can receive multiple comments on one single post, and all will show in your list under Settings until they roll off. Only 10 show. All 10 could be from one single post if it worked out that way, or all 10 could be from 10 different posts. The link above the comment shows the post that the person commented on.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Yes, each comment is listed individually, but - as Newton mentioned - only the last several.

If we can find a good, clean way to programatically add a signature, I imagine we will. It may be that the solution adds signatures to all the unsigned comments going all the way back, or maybe just moving forward. We're still investigating how to pull it off. So far, the only thing we've found would break any time we applied a board update. That gets tedious. And potentially expensive.

And let's keep this discussion focused on the concept rather than any specific comment anyone may have received.

-jk

I think that if we can have the option of reporting the truly offensive anonymous comment, say with abusive language, it would go only to the mods and then be up to them to decide how to deal with the offender and, of course, the removal of the comment from the receiver's settings. I realize it may make more work for those who monitor but it would keep flame wars and angry guessing games at least at bay.
    We're all (pretty much) grownups here. Sure, people get hurt feelings but after all, it's a message board. We've all got lives, jobs, friends in the outside world that are far more involving of our emotions.

It's Christmas time people, you're bumming me out with all the arguments!

Let's go Devils, all together now!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I dunno. I know from experience that being dinged by a mod knocked a cool 50 off my point total once.
    I did not realize that negative comments by mods carried that much weight. I suspect that it is a function of most of the mods being folks with extremely high reputation. I bet you, CB&B, also carry big weight with your comments because you have a lot of pitchforks.

-Jason "I gave someone a negative ding yesterday for a fairly minor thing... and now I really regret it" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I did not realize that negative comments by mods carried that much weight. I suspect that it is a function of most of the mods being folks with extremely high reputation. I bet you, CB&B, also carry big weight with your comments because you have a lot of pitchforks.
    This is interesting to me -- I got a positive comment from someone with shadowy pitchforks yesterday, and it only added 3 points. So, I think there's at least a passing chance that the algorithm doesn't work exactly as advertised, which would be good for everyone to keep in mind as they judge posters based on sporks/flames. As a stats geek, I'll admit to a little curiosity as to what's under the hood.

I must be blind because I don't have any shadows on my screen under or within the sporks.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I must be blind because I don't have any shadows on my screen under or within the sporks.
    If you don't see your shadow, then there won't be 6 more weeks of winter.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Lid View Post
    This is interesting to me -- I got a positive comment from someone with shadowy pitchforks yesterday, and it only added 3 points.
    Yup. Unfortunately I can spork someone and it only adds three points I think. However, if a mod with the same number (or less sporks) as I hits up the same post with a positive comment, they are worth like ten or so. So it's nice when a mod does a kind bit of sporking because it's worth what it would take 3 or 4 other people to do. Unfortunately, as noted above, the negatives do carry more weight and it's a damaging blow. On the whole it's a good system if used responsibly, but as this thread has pointed out, it has some flaws that would be awesome if they were fixable.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Your last three sporks are shadowed. I hate winter, though, so don't look too hard.

You must be a ref...

(tweet!! Technical foul.)

They appear to be gray lines under your pitchsporks and not really "shadows."

Very interesting discussion so far. Overall, I agree the system has worked fairly well. I think the point values are reasonable for posts and cumulatives and that the ("mostly respected") mods (HAHA, Jason) wield a bit more influence than others, though I think their minus points are worth about 2X their plus points and with some of the reports I have heard/seen, that penalty may be a bit too heavy handed. Fortunately, I have not experienced any large penalties (please don't get any ideas Bob, Jason, Newton to "test" that hypothesis).

I likewise highly dislike the anonymous negative comment feature and would really like to see that changed/improved. I'd rather debate/argue/discuss one of my posts, whether it be on the forums or via PM and not have someone dump on me and walk away. I do not believe I have ever left a negative comment, signed or unsigned. I have either "walked away" from posts which I find insulting/snarky/condescending, discussed it publicly or via PM, or, if I find it offensive, simply clicked on "feldspar's pea whistle" and reported it. I've even discussed a couple of those with mods and they have agreed with my perception/understanding of said comment and the plan/suggestion to report it.

Now, about how many minutes Quinn should be playing...

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Now, about how many minutes Quinn should be playing...
    I'm so old school, when I read this my first thought was, "Snyder?"

-Jason "I give about 20x as many positive as negative comments" Evans

I'm so old school, when I read this my first thought was, "Snyder?"
    I'm so one-room old school. when I read this my first thought was, "Anthony Quinn?"

(Actually, I had the same reaction as Jason)

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    The last 3 pitchforks to the right under your name are "underlined". The line is shadowy but definitely visible. You seriously can't see that?