Ned Light: 1967 - 2011

Sorry to bring a down note....but I wanted to take a moment to share with you the passing of a Duke graduate, Ned Light. He was the class of 1989 (and also got a masters from Duke in 1997). While an undergraduate, Ned was a member of the Duke Pep Band, and a member of Psi Upsilon. He also met his future spouse at Duke (Anne Light, also class of 1989 and also a member of the band). Ned was the daughter of Bill and Sally Light (Sally also being a graduate of Duke, who was thrilled when her youngest son followed in her footsteps).

Ned worked at Duke from pretty much the time he graduated. He was an assistant coach for the fencing team, and also worked in the School of Engineering doing research (including some really amazing stuff on ultrasound technologies). As would be expected, Ned was a huge Duke basketball fan.

So yes, Ned was a Duke alum and a Duke fan...but I want to tell you a little about Ned as a person. I was fortunate enough to marry into Ned's family (I married his cousin, Caroline, who was the Class of 91 - I was the class of 90). Due to this I got to know both Ned and Anne (who also works at Duke), and Ned's parents: a nicer couple you will not meet. I will always remember the advice Ned's father gave to me after my wedding in the Duke Chapel. He said, "Marriage is wonderful...at first. But then it takes work. You have to be committed to listening to each other, and accepting each other's faults, and understanding as each of you grow. It's a tough job, but a wonderful job, and if you remember your friendship with each other, then you'll be successful." Bill clearly knew this, as he and his wife celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary three years ago, just before his wife was diagnosed with cancer (she would lose that battle in September 2010). He also imparted that kind of thinking on this son. Ned was a wonderful spouse. He loved Anne and gave her support through all that she did. He would talk to me about how proud he was of her decisions, and how much she impressed him as a person. How told me how he always wanted to be the kind of person she was.

Ned was also a wonderful father. He had one daughter - Erin. He involved himself in all that she did - be it ice skating, or soccer or swimming. Ned and I coached our daughter's soccer team together for a few years. He loved it. Loved teaching, especially to the girls, that it was OK to be athletic. That it was OK to be competitive. And it was OK to try and fail, so long as you at least tried. He always praised the efforts of everyone. My daughter to this day still remembers how Coach Ned taught her "It's OK if you are the goalie and they score on you, because it's never the goalie's fault." He actually found a way to may girls want to play goalie (and if you have ever coached 6-12 year old girls, you know how hard that can be). Ned pushed the girls to develop their skills, but he cared about them deeply. I remember during one of our games, one of the girls on our team got hit in the ball with the stomach. I didn't see it. Nobody did - except Ned...and before the ref could stop, or anyone could stop, Ned was sprinting out there to calm her down, and hold her head while he waited for her parents to come out and give support.

This past May, Ned was diagnosed with cancer. He underwent chemo over the summer, and fought like mad, but the cancer was incredibly aggressive and spread to his lungs. After an incredible hard fight (that included him making it to Duke's last home game, and seeing his daughter's birthday), Ned lost his battle yesterday. He leaves behind a legacy of friendship, support and love. And he will be missed. I hope you will join me in sending positive thoughts to his family, spouse and daughter. It's hard to imagine not being able to hang out with him again, and talk about our girls, or Duke basketball, or Duke politics, or just life in general. But I'm glad that Ned was in my life, and I'm better off for that fact.

Thanks for reading.

Quote Originally Posted by Udaman View Post
    Sorry to bring a down note....but I wanted to take a moment to share with you the passing of a Duke graduate, Ned Light. He was the class of 1989 (and also got a masters from Duke in 1997). While an undergraduate, Ned was a member of the Duke Pep Band, and a member of Psi Upsilon. He also met his future spouse at Duke (Anne Light, also class of 1989 and also a member of the band). Ned was the daughter of Bill and Sally Light (Sally also being a graduate of Duke, who was thrilled when her youngest son followed in her footsteps).

Ned worked at Duke from pretty much the time he graduated. He was an assistant coach for the fencing team, and also worked in the School of Engineering doing research (including some really amazing stuff on ultrasound technologies). As would be expected, Ned was a huge Duke basketball fan.

So yes, Ned was a Duke alum and a Duke fan...but I want to tell you a little about Ned as a person. I was fortunate enough to marry into Ned's family (I married his cousin, Caroline, who was the Class of 91 - I was the class of 90). Due to this I got to know both Ned and Anne (who also works at Duke), and Ned's parents: a nicer couple you will not meet. I will always remember the advice Ned's father gave to me after my wedding in the Duke Chapel. He said, "Marriage is wonderful...at first. But then it takes work. You have to be committed to listening to each other, and accepting each other's faults, and understanding as each of you grow. It's a tough job, but a wonderful job, and if you remember your friendship with each other, then you'll be successful." Bill clearly knew this, as he and his wife celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary three years ago, just before his wife was diagnosed with cancer (she would lose that battle in September 2010). He also imparted that kind of thinking on this son. Ned was a wonderful spouse. He loved Anne and gave her support through all that she did. He would talk to me about how proud he was of her decisions, and how much she impressed him as a person. How told me how he always wanted to be the kind of person she was.

Ned was also a wonderful father. He had one daughter - Erin. He involved himself in all that she did - be it ice skating, or soccer or swimming. Ned and I coached our daughter's soccer team together for a few years. He loved it. Loved teaching, especially to the girls, that it was OK to be athletic. That it was OK to be competitive. And it was OK to try and fail, so long as you at least tried. He always praised the efforts of everyone. My daughter to this day still remembers how Coach Ned taught her "It's OK if you are the goalie and they score on you, because it's never the goalie's fault." He actually found a way to may girls want to play goalie (and if you have ever coached 6-12 year old girls, you know how hard that can be). Ned pushed the girls to develop their skills, but he cared about them deeply. I remember during one of our games, one of the girls on our team got hit in the ball with the stomach. I didn't see it. Nobody did - except Ned...and before the ref could stop, or anyone could stop, Ned was sprinting out there to calm her down, and hold her head while he waited for her parents to come out and give support.

This past May, Ned was diagnosed with cancer. He underwent chemo over the summer, and fought like mad, but the cancer was incredibly aggressive and spread to his lungs. After an incredible hard fight (that included him making it to Duke's last home game, and seeing his daughter's birthday), Ned lost his battle yesterday. He leaves behind a legacy of friendship, support and love. And he will be missed. I hope you will join me in sending positive thoughts to his family, spouse and daughter. It's hard to imagine not being able to hang out with him again, and talk about our girls, or Duke basketball, or Duke politics, or just life in general. But I'm glad that Ned was in my life, and I'm better off for that fact.

Thanks for reading.
    That was a beautiful tribute, memorial and obituary. You obviously loved this, apparent, fine man. Thank you for your sharing. My day is better for reading about someone who lived a good life. I will now shed a tear and say a prayer.

He and his family will be in my prayers. He was a year behind me -- don't think I knew him but will have to pull out the Chanticleer and see if he looks familiar.

Mid-40's is way too young to go.

Love, thoughts, prayers and condolences to you and the entire family. That was a beautifully written eulogy. Sorry I didn't know Ned. Vibes for all to get through this very rough time. }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Oh wow -- I didn't know Ned was sick. I was lucky enough to have known him -- he really was a great person. Thank you for the tribute. My heart goes out to his family.

I had the chance to work briefly with Ned's wife, Anne. I'm sorry to hear of Ned's passing. My thoughts, prayers and condolences to all Ned's family, and to his friends. Thanks, Udaman, for the lovely words.

Holy christ. I knew Ned very well. I didn't even know he was sick. Jesus. I had no idea

Thanks for sharing. He sounds like a wonderful man who will be missed by many. It's always sad to lose a good Duke fan.

Thank you for sharing this beautiful encomium.

I'm very sorry to hear of your loss, and my thoughts and prayers will be with Mr. Light and his entire family.