Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: K 423, Dean 422

It has come to my attention that, if ESPN knows whereof they speak, the Pittsburgh game was Krzyzewski's 420th ACC win, when the ACCT is taken into account, leaving him just two shy of Señor Light Bluenose's total of 422.

I don't remember the details of the Big Four tournament or the non-conference Duke-Georgia Tech game in 1994-95, and right now, I don't particularly care. This means Coach K needs just three ACC wins to make his erstwhile Research Trinagle-based colleague even less relevant in the record books than he is today.

As many have noted, the schedule is a gauntlet of strychnine-laced porcupine corpses poised to hit us in the face. Blessed are the schedule makers, for they were apparently high, because they have us playing Notre Dame twice in ten days, and I've got a very very very bad feeling about the road game at TJ University. The remaining RS schedule, per DBR:

@ St. John's Red Storm Sunday, January 25 2015 1:00 PM EST
    @ Notre Dame Fighting Irish Wednesday, January 28 2015 7:30 PM EST
    @ Virginia Cavaliers Saturday, January 31 2015 12:00 PM EST
    Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets Wednesday, February 04 2015 7:00 PM EST
    Notre Dame Fighting Irish Saturday, February 07 2015 1:00 PM EST
    @ Florida State Seminoles Monday, February 09 2015 7:00 PM EST
    @ Syracuse Orange Saturday, February 14 2015 6:00 PM EST
    North Carolina Tar Heels Wednesday, February 18 2015 9:00 PM EST
    Clemson Tigers Saturday, February 21 2015 4:00 PM EST
    @ Virginia Tech Hokies Wednesday, February 25 2015 9:00 PM EST
    Syracuse Orange Saturday, February 28 2015 12:00 PM EST
    Wake Forest Demon Deacons Wednesday, March 04 2015 8:00 PM EST
    @ North Carolina Tar Heels Saturday, March 07 2015 12:00 PM EST

I think somebody established that there's no way the second game against the school that makes up fake classes starts at noon. Anyway, I'm not quite sure who the hell is in this conference this month, but I'm pretty sure SJU isn't. This means the earliest Coach K could wipe out 422 is at home against Georgia Tech. (I'm pleased with myself for forecasting that event about five years ago as sometime in the 2015 spring semester).* But if you gave me a split at Syracuse and at Our Lady of Northern Indiana, I'd take it laughing and running and drooling like that wolf who chases Red Riding Hood in the WWII-era WB cartoons. That would set us up for #423 potentially coming in the rematch with our Papist friends on 7 February, at home.

Looking at this schedule makes my head hurt.

* - if any of our readers were athletes at UNC-Chapel Hill, please let me explain this technical jargon. A "semester" is a measure of time into which most academic calendars in North America are divided. They usually elapse over a period of about four months, during which students have to go to class a lot and do some stuff the instructor tells them to do.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Coach K ACC wins

Just curious, but I was wondering if someone could post how many ACC wins Coach K now has after last night's victory over Pitt? With him approaching the 1K milestone, I know the next milestone is becoming the all-time ACC career wins leader.

I knew that he was behind Dean Smith, but I actually wasn't sure how far behind he was starting ACC play this season. I knew he would pass Smith sometime this season, but wasn't sure when.

Thanks,

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    Jody McCreary of the AP reported that Monday night's win was K's 420th ACC win ... he was incorrect. It was No. 421 according to the ACC.

I refer you to Monday's ACC release -- check page 6:

http://raycomsports.com/sports_labs_...bl_release.pdf

K ties Dean with his next ACC win.

And just to clarify -- the totals include only ACC Regular Season and Tournament . It does not include postseason games (Duke-Maryland in the 2001 Final Four or UNC over Duke in the 1971 NIT semifinals). It doesn't include regular season meetings against ACC schools that weren't conference games (Duke over Georgia Tech in the December 1994 Rainbow Classic; all of Dean's Big Four Tournament wins).

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Jody McCreary of the AP reported that Monday night's win was K's 420th ACC win ... he was incorrect. It was No. 421 according to the ACC.

And just to clarify -- the totals include only ACC Regular Season and Tournament . It does not include postseason games (Duke-Maryland in the 2001 Final Four or UNC over Duke in the 1971 NIT semifinals). It doesn't include regular season meetings against ACC schools that weren't conference games (Duke over Georgia Tech in the December 1994 Rainbow Classic; all of Dean's Big Four Tournament wins).
    Haha!

I wonder if he will make it to 500? He would probably need to coach another 6-7 years.

It has come to my attention that, if ESPN knows whereof they speak, the Pittsburgh game was Krzyzewski's 420th ACC win, when the ACCT is taken into account, leaving him just two shy of Señor Light Bluenose's total of 422.

I don't remember the details of the Big Four tournament or the non-conference Duke-Georgia Tech game in 1994-95, and right now, I don't particularly care. This means Coach K needs just three ACC wins to make his erstwhile Research Trinagle-based colleague even less relevant in the record books than he is today.

As many have noted, the schedule is a gauntlet of strychnine-laced porcupine corpses poised to hit us in the face. Blessed are the schedule makers, for they were apparently high, because they have us playing Notre Dame twice in ten days, and I've got a very very very bad feeling about the road game at TJ University.
    TJ University = ??? Maybe The Jesuit University? I dunno. Maybe The Johnnies University?

Thos. Jeff's, I believe.

-jk

Wait! Does this total include/exclude the 3 (4 if you count ND) games K did/n't win during this season (http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketba...season=1994-95) when he did/n't coach and did/n't have his back injury/exhaustion? The c*rolina math/upper level course/grading system/athletic/academic scandal/method of reasoning/rationalization has me soooooo confused.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Checked the totals with the ACC office and they checked with Duke -- it is definitely 421 at the moment.

Going into the season, K was 362-149 in the ACC regular season wins and 55-20 in ACC Tournament play -- 417 wins

Dean was 364-136 in regular season and 58-23 in the tournament -- 422 wins.

K is now 366-151 in regular season play.

It didn't get mentioned, but when K won at Wake Forest on Jan. 7, K broke Dean's record of regular season wins. Still got the ACC Tournament win record to go -- he can tie Dean's record there with a good run in Greensboro this March (technically he could beat it by winning the tournament from the 5th seed or below).

Again, just to confirm, the record only includes regular season and ACC Tournament wins -- victories over ACC schools outside ACC play don't count. And, no, the three Pete Gaudet ACC wins in 1994 that UNC fans keep wanting to give K don't count either. Although why they would want him to surpass Dean in these categories I don't understand.

Checked the totals with the ACC office and they checked with Duke -- it is definitely 421 at the moment.

Going into the season, K was 362-149 in the ACC regular season wins and 55-20 in ACC Tournament play -- 417 wins

Dean was 364-136 in regular season and 58-23 in the tournament -- 422 wins.

K is now 366-151 in regular season play.

It didn't get mentioned, but when K won at Wake Forest on Jan. 7, K broke Dean's record of regular season wins. Still got the ACC Tournament win record to go -- he can tie Dean's record there with a good run in Greensboro this March (technically he could beat it by winning the tournament from the 5th seed or below).

Again, just to confirm, the record only includes regular season and ACC Tournament wins -- victories over ACC schools outside ACC play don't count. And, no, the three Pete Gaudet ACC wins in 1994 that UNC fans keep wanting to give K don't count either. Although why they would want him to surpass Dean in these categories I don't understand.
    You don't understand c*rolina logic/reasoning? How long have you lived here/been a Duke fan?

I think the only reason they might have is that it makes K's winning %age even lower/less than Smith's.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

I think somebody established that there's no way the second game against the school that makes up fake classes starts at noon. Anyway, I'm not quite sure who the hell is in this conference this month, but I'm pretty sure SJU isn't. This means the earliest Coach K could wipe out 422 is at home against Georgia Tech. (I'm pleased with myself for forecasting that event about five years ago as sometime in the 2015 spring semester).* But if you gave me a split at Syracuse and at Our Lady of Northern Indiana, I'd take it laughing and running and drooling like that wolf who chases Red Riding Hood in the WWII-era WB cartoons. That would set us up for #423 potentially coming in the rematch with our Papist friends on 7 February, at home.
    That wolf is off the charts hilarious ("Uh, what was that gal's name again?...). They sure don't make cartoons like that anymore.

Can we merge this thread with the other one on the front page?

And make it clear that ESPN does NOT know whereof they speak (although in this case, they are quoting the AP, which was wrong). The Pitt win was K's 421st ACC win, not 420.

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Thos. Jeff's, I believe.

-jk
    OK, but I thought the common reference was "Mr. Jefferson's University," not TJ University.

As many have noted, the schedule is a gauntlet of strychnine-laced porcupine corpses poised to hit us in the face. Blessed are the schedule makers, for they were apparently high, because they have us playing Notre Dame twice in ten days, and I've got a very very very bad feeling about the road game at TJ University.
    <snip>
    Quote Originally Posted by mgtr View Post
    TJ University = ??? Maybe The Jesuit University? I dunno. Maybe The Johnnies University?
    Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Thos. Jeff's, I believe.

-jk
    I was going with Touchdown Jesus University. Inquiring minds want to know.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    I was going with Touchdown Jesus University. Inquiring minds want to know.
    That was my guess also.

Could we use this list to make a shirt of accomplishments of both coaches.
    You have done a great job with the greatest coach but give Dean his due as a coach in the ACC.

Dean most first half games with no points
    Dean most final four ejections
    Dean most times changing the score himself
    Terry Holland named his dog Dean cause it whined all the time
    Dean even built loyalty from the opponent as those teams helped out at the end for both of his questionable titles see Fred Brown and Chris Webber
    I'm sure the great minds of this board will have many more wonderful items to add to this list but i will add one last note below.

Dean at the top of his coaching acumen got to see K
    Go to 7 of 9 FF and play in 4 of 5 championship games.
    That had to be a bitter time for Dean as he may
    have expected a finger point from K for the motivation to accomplish what he did as a coach.
    Ill give Dean credit it's taken years for some to realize he was # 2 but I've thought of Dean as #2 for as long as I can remember.

Wink Dean's Accomplishments

I have always kept a clipping, quoting Dean as saying (late 80's?) "We have found that there are no bigger Carolina fans than the ones we meet at our visits to the prisons." so...

Dean had the most support in the convict population (which is too ironic really)

Quote Originally Posted by Im4howdy View Post
    Dean had the most support in the convict population (which is too ironic really)
    Why?

Quote Originally Posted by royalblue View Post
    Could we use this list to make a shirt of accomplishments of both coaches.
    You have done a great job with the greatest coach but give Dean his due as a coach in the ACC.

Dean most first half games with no points
    Dean most final four ejections
    Dean most times changing the score himself
    Terry Holland named his dog Dean cause it whined all the time
    Dean even built loyalty from the opponent as those teams helped out at the end for both of his questionable titles see Fred Brown and Chris Webber
    I'm sure the great minds of this board will have many more wonderful items to add to this list but i will add one last note below.

Dean at the top of his coaching acumen got to see K
    Go to 7 of 9 FF and play in 4 of 5 championship games.
    That had to be a bitter time for Dean as he may
    have expected a finger point from K for the motivation to accomplish what he did as a coach.
    Ill give Dean credit it's taken years for some to realize he was # 2 but I've thought of Dean as #2 for as long as I can remember
    Think that's why the paperless classes began at uncheaters? GoDuke!

Tonight was K's 423rd ACC win, surpassing El Deano.