Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: K 423, Dean 422

I have several friends who are UNC alums who become visibly angered to the point of apoplexy whenever the comparison of K and Dean comes up. Initially I was taken aback by the vehement force of their hatred for Coach K because otherwise they are typically articulate and reasonable people. As I questioned and listened to them explain their contempt for K it became quite clear as to the source of their anger: in their own minds they know that apart from other comparative issues that divides Duke-UNC basketball, K has already established himself as the greatest coach in ACC history; in doing he has eclipsed and supplanted the "saint" who the Tarheels believed would stand forever as the symbol and standard of coaching greatness in the ACC.

When I pointed out this reality along with the not so subtle aside, "hey, second place is not so bad," you wouldn't believe (or perhaps you would) the anger, curses, and a slammed door that followed. One of them now greets me with an icy stare whenever K's name is mentioned. Seems the Heels are pretty thin-skinned whenever it is said that El Deano is numero dos.

"eff you dean" was the blasphemy that started the absolute "hatred". duke beating UNC was the blowtorch. now, k has left dean in the rearview and they see his legacy slipping further behind. no one would like that. we won't like it if a UNC coach does that to K
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

I didn't want to start a new thread.

With the win tonight, Krzyzewski is just 20 ACC wins shy (excluding ACCT, I think) of El Deano. At the latest rate, that's less than two full seasons. We could be looking at 2015.

In Dean's defense, they played fewer league games when there were seven, eight, nine teams in the league.

In K's defense, there might be more parity now. Might, I'm not sure I want to stand by that statement.

Anyway, the last of Dean's landmarks, other than supposedly inventing pointing at people for assists, is in trouble.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    I didn't want to start a new thread.

With the win tonight, Krzyzewski is just 20 ACC wins shy (excluding ACCT, I think) of El Deano. At the latest rate, that's less than two full seasons. We could be looking at 2015.

In Dean's defense, they played fewer league games when there were seven, eight, nine teams in the league.

In K's defense, there might be more parity now. Might, I'm not sure I want to stand by that statement.

Anyway, the last of Dean's landmarks, other than supposedly inventing pointing at people for assists, is in trouble.
    Dean still leads K 1-0 in "Being Hung in Effigy By Your Own Student Fan Base". Maybe the Duke kids should do it twice just to irritate the Tarheels.

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    Although I'm not sure what K's plan is to wrestle the "most wins at one school" record from Boeheim.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    Although I'm not sure what K's plan is to wrestle the "most wins at one school" record from Boeheim.
    Coach till 75 and hope Boeheim quits at 70. I reckon.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    Dean still leads K 1-0 in "Being Hung in Effigy By Your Own Student Fan Base". Maybe the Duke kids should do it twice just to irritate the Tarheels.
    Perhaps K should get himself ejected in the last minute of a national championship game?

Quote Originally Posted by vick View Post
    Perhaps K should get himself ejected in the last minute of a national championship game?
    Only if Duke is up 20+ at that point... Make a statement (although I don't really know what, except against the NCAA, refs, or something else)

I remember a football game back in the 80's, I think... the team had lost to their bitter rivals in something like forever. So when they were up 30+ points late in the 4th quarter... the wide receiver who caught a TD pass turned to the crowd and punted the ball into the stands. Great stuff...

K catches Dean ... again

It kind of got overlooked in the euphoria of Ryan's return (at least I didn't see it posted anywhere or on TV or on the news), but the Miami win was Coach K's 879th victory at Duke -- which ties Dean Smith for the second-most wins at one school (they both trail Boeheim). With a victory over VPI Tuesday, K passes Dean on that list too.

I did see it noted that it was K's 400th ACC win ... and, of course, it was his 952nd win overall -- over 40 more than second-place Jim Boeheim.

For Duke, Miami was victory No. 1,996 ... closing on becoming the fourth NCAA school to reach 2,000 wins.

My Tarheel friends on Facebook, faced with my pointing out that K has passed Dean in almost every stat, point out that Dean won their head-to-head matchups 24-14. That will be ALL they have left to cling to when all is said and done - but cling to it they shall.

Quote Originally Posted by slower View Post
    My Tarheel friends on Facebook, faced with my pointing out that K has passed Dean in almost every stat, point out that Dean won their head-to-head matchups 24-14. That will be ALL they have left to cling to when all is said and done - but cling to it they shall.
    Yes they shall. Especially since it's the one thing where Dean leads that can't be changed. Of course, you could try reminding them that Dean built a significant lead in K's early years before he got his program really up and going. But that would be clouding their passion with facts, and we can't have that. Dean was 8-1 against K in their first 9 meetings. After that he was 16-13.

The only other achievable measure in which K can surpass Dean, after he takes the lead in most victories at one school, is most ACC wins, where he still trails Dean. Tried to google Dean's total, and I think it's 422, but I couldn't find it and now my 5 month old is fussing!

and now my 5 month old is fussing!
    Which is essentially the same thing as debating Tarheel fans

The only other achievable measure in which K can surpass Dean, after he takes the lead in most victories at one school, is most ACC wins, where he still trails Dean. Tried to google Dean's total, and I think it's 422, but I couldn't find it and now my 5 month old is fussing!
    All that stuff's in the ACC media guide.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/...ccmbbguide.pdf

Dean is indeed at 422.

Dean still leads K in ACC Tournament wins, 58 versus 53, and I think Dean has 14 ACC Championships to K's 13.

Dean and K are still tied at 11 Final Fours.

Dean is indeed at 422.

Dean still leads K in ACC Tournament wins, 58 versus 53, and I think Dean has 14 ACC Championships to K's 13.

Thanks! So, by the end of this post season, K will be 2 ACC tournament wins behind Deam, tied in ACC championships, ahead in Final Fours, and up 5-2 in NCs?

Have Carolina fans realized that Dean Smith isn't even their winningest basketball coach anymore?

Thanks! So, by the end of this post season, K will be 2 ACC tournament wins behind Dean, tied in ACC championships, ahead in Final Fours, and up 5-2 in NCs?
    Just wait till what we do next year!

Unfortunately, Dean's record for fewest points in a half (zero) will likely pass unbroken for yet another year.

But...but...but...

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    It kind of got overlooked in the euphoria of Ryan's return (at least I didn't see it posted anywhere or on TV or on the news), but the Miami win was Coach K's 879th victory at Duke -- which ties Dean Smith for the second-most wins at one school (they both trail Boeheim). With a victory over VPI Tuesday, K passes Dean on that list too.

I did see it noted that it was K's 400th ACC win ... and, of course, it was his 952nd win overall -- over 40 more than second-place Jim Boeheim.

For Duke, Miami was victory No. 1,996 ... closing on becoming the fourth NCAA school to reach 2,000 wins.
    Since UNC counts their two victories over Duke in 1995 as K's losses, doesn't this mean he gets the three victories under Gaudet, and therefore is already past Dean? Or is that too logical for a Carolina grad?

there are a lot of unc bandwagoneers that think dean won in 57....
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

K vs. Dean

Dean is indeed at 422.

Nope .. K and Dean both have 13 ACC championships ... Dean got his in 36 seasons ... K in 32 seasons (this is his 33rd).

They are tied in Final Fours with 11 each -- again Dean got his in four extra seasons.

Dean does lead in ACC wins (that's overall -- regular season and tournament) 422 to 400 ... K should win 2-3-5 more this season, leaving him somewhat less than 20 ACC wins behind Dean. He could catch him next season, but more likely will blow past Dean early in the 2014-15 regular season in this category.

Dean does have an edge in ACC Tournament wins 58-53 ... but again, that's the four extra seasons -- K actually has a better winning percentage in the tournament (74.6 vs. 71.6).

And I think now that they are tied at wins at one school, it's worth noting that Dean's record at UNC was 879-254 -- 77.6 percent ... K's record at Duke is 879-236 -- 78.8 percent.

Obviously, K leads in overall wins (952 TO 879) ... in national titles (4-2) and in Olympic titles (2-1). Dean does have an NIT championship that K can't match, unless you want to counter that with K's World Championship that Dean can't match.

It won't be long before the only thing they have to cling to is that head-to-head record ... of course, if a UNC fan ever brings that up, remind them that Vic Bubas was 12-8 head-to-head againt Dean Smith, so if head-to-head is the determining factor, they have to concede that Bubas was better than Smith.

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    there are a lot of unc bandwagoneers that think dean won in 57....
    1957... What a quaint time. The NCAAT lasted from March 11 to March 23. Two wins and you went to the Final Four. Four wins and you were national champs. West Regional was in Corvallis, Oregon, in a facility that could seat 9600 fans. Wilt Chamberlain averaged 30 per game during the season, but Kansas lost in 3 OT in the championship game, with neither team scoring 60. Coach K was 10 years old, and Deano was coaching the US Air Force golf team.
    Last edited by Henderson; 03-05-2013 at 04:51 AM.