View Poll Results: What is the Best Sporting Event to Watch/Be in Attendance?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Final Four

33 67.35%
  • Baseball's World Series

8 16.33%
  • Super Bowl

11 22.45%
  • The British Open

1 2.04%
  • BCS Championship Game

2 4.08%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best Sporting Event

With The Open starting tomorrow at Carnoustie, it made me wonder which sporting contest I most look forward to and enjoy watching between the British Open and the Final Four... I must admit I have an affinity for the Open over the Final Four, though my passion is clearly college basketball.

Anyway, What is your favorite sporting event to watch and why...Poll Away

Uh, as long as there is no Duke/Carolina game at Cameron, then I won't be voting in your poll.

1st off, I definitely enjoy watching the US Open (golf) more than the British Open, and depending on where the British is being played, I usually prefer the Masters as well.

2nd - Amen to Lord Ash.

3rd - I enjoy watching the 1st weekend (thurs-sun) of the tournament at LEAST as much, if not more (if Duke isnt playing), as the final four. You get 12 straight hours of college basketball for FOUR STRAIGHT Days, and you have a stake in each game if you fill out a bracket. I can't even describe to you how much I love those four days. Without a doubt my favorite weekend of the year.

4th - I think you could make a case for the Preakness, aka the Freakness/Preaknasty? Thats a ton of fun to watch, and even more fun to go to...of course, if you attend you usually dont remember the actual race...(if you've never gone, I can't even describe to you what you are missing)

If my team is in the FF, super bowl, or BCS title game, then those would jump to the top. Otherwise, I'd rather go to the Master's.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    1st off, I definitely enjoy watching the US Open (golf) more than the British Open, and depending on where the British is being played, I usually prefer the Masters as well.

2nd - Amen to Lord Ash.

3rd - I enjoy watching the 1st weekend (thurs-sun) of the tournament at LEAST as much, if not more (if Duke isnt playing), as the final four. You get 12 straight hours of college basketball for FOUR STRAIGHT Days, and you have a stake in each game if you fill out a bracket. I can't even describe to you how much I love those four days. Without a doubt my favorite weekend of the year.

4th - I think you could make a case for the Preakness, aka the Freakness/Preaknasty? Thats a ton of fun to watch, and even more fun to go to...of course, if you attend you usually dont remember the actual race...(if you've never gone, I can't even describe to you what you are missing)
    I think I agree with every point in this, especially #3.

The Thursday and Friday of the ACC Tournament and NCAA tournament are another holiday for me. Can't remember the last time I worked on those days.

Final Four if Duke is there.

If Duke is in the FF, then it's a no brainer for me. If not, the British Open comes close (GO TIGER!!) I've been to 3 Super Bowls and although that's great, I have to admit that watching on the telly gives a better view. Been to a couple of BSC champ/games as well, and again, the telly seems superior (rather than the atmosphere of frenzy).

Aside from the FF, I have experienced the greatest rush being there in person for the final game of the baseball World Series. Been there twice -- and oh, my God----------beautiful.

I almost can't stand to watch UNC-Duke, because the pressure is just too intense!

For me, there is nothing like le Tour de France. The sport has gone through horrible times, it's true, but that event has a special majesty for me.

Honorable mention: NCAA tournament, World Cup soccer, Wimbledon.

1. The Willis Reed game, 13th row behind the Knicks' bench.

2. The Joe Willie Namath-daryl Lamonica shoot out at Shea in the AFL Championship game the year the Jets won it all;

3. The game in which Edie (can't spell has last name, something like) Gocovine (the former NY Ranger goalie) first returned to the Garden as a Red Wing. Having been ripped by Ranger fans for years, when the Red Wings took the ice, the Garden shook with, "Edie, Edie." Went on for five minutes at least. Edie standing in front of his cage, leaning on his stick, tears streaming down his face.

It's been all downhill since.

Super Bowls suck (only been to one), and I agree with Silky on no. 3 (yikes).

The Super Bowl seems too much about spectacle - and cheesy spectacle, at that - and not really about sport, even if the game is OK. But I do like the conference championship games.
    Last edited by mapei; 07-18-2007 at 04:10 PM. Reason: clarity

As for wish list things, I'd actually pay to see Real Madrid play Barcelona, especially in an end of season game.

A world cup final, if played in a European Stadium with two great European sides playing like last year.

Either of those would top my list. What is present in those contexts is oh so absent at Super Bowls.

Closest thing to them on the list I would have to think is a World Series, depending upon where it is. As an old Brooklyn Dodger fan it pains me to say this, a Yankee Stadium seventh game would probably be up there; ditto for Fenway, even though I swore off baseball after 1956.

Well, I voted for the final four, which is not too surprising. However, even though I am not a golfer, I think the Masters should be in the list -- exclusivity, if for no other reason. Plus, it is a beautiful, beautiful course.

Quote Originally Posted by mgtr View Post
    Well, I voted for the final four, which is not too surprising. However, even though I am not a golfer, I think the Masters should be in the list -- exclusivity, if for no other reason. Plus, it is a beautiful, beautiful course.
    Much better watching on the tube, er, lcd or plasma screen. You know, if you go, you either sit or stand in one place for an entire day (does grade school ring any bells), or walk for miles.

Mgtr, if you are half the man your writing suggests you are (hope you're not a she like Stray), you take your pleasures with much greater comfort and like your action to well, be active. I've never been, but does the final four get the crowd buzzing the way say the ACC finals do?

I voted for the Final Four because of the sheer ectasy of when Duke plays

but...

a Duke-UNC game in person is like nothing else in the world. I've seen 4 at the ACC Tournament and 3 in Cameron...what a rush.

Record is 5-2 by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by greybeard View Post

Greybeard and I have agreed twice in the last 2 days, so clearly I need to criticize something soon...

The poll is for events, not specific games, other wise I would have put a lot of other things like Cowboys vs 49ers in 82 and in 95 (I am a niners fan). Also I THOUGHT it was for yearly events, otherwise I would have put World Cup and BOTH olympics on there too like Mapei...I used to watch wimbledon, but just dont have any interest anymore...

Quote Originally Posted by mapei View Post
    Honorable mention: NCAA tournament, World Cup soccer, Wimbledon.

Greybeard -
    I am totally confused. Are you saying that Stray is a female, or that he is a "girlie-man," to quote the governator?
    I do agree that a large HDTV is the way to see the Masters, however.

Greybeard -
    I am totally confused. Are you saying that Stray is a female, or that he is a "girlie-man," to quote the governator?
    Actually, neither; gender confusion regarding Stray, either on Stray's part or the other posters, became a recurring way to break the tension (you think things get testy here) on the LAX board. I forget who started it, and whether it was my masculine or femine side that found it so amusing.

Greybeard -
    Neither: you will recall that everyone had great fun playing with the issue of gender confusion, either attributing it to Stray about his/herself or the rest of us about him/her as a means of breaking the tension on the LAX board. Call it a peace offering.

Right! Gotcha. It was all about the Los Angeles airport.

1. The Willis Reed game, 13th row behind the Knicks' bench.

2. The Joe Willie Namath-daryl Lamonica shoot out at Shea in the AFL Championship game the year the Jets won it all;

3. The game in which Edie (can't spell has last name, something like) Gocovine (the former NY Ranger goalie) first returned to the Garden as a Red Wing. Having been ripped by Ranger fans for years, when the Red Wings took the ice, the Garden shook with, "Edie, Edie." Went on for five minutes at least. Edie standing in front of his cage, leaning on his stick, tears streaming down his face.

It's been all downhill since.

1. I'm jealous.

2. I'm jealous.

3. You mean this guy? Eddie Giacomin
    http://store.thegoaliesden.com/servl...graphed/Detail

The Rangers of Giacomin, Brad Park, Jean Ratelle, Vic Hadfield, Rod Gilbert, Walt Tkaczuk, Billy Fairburn and Dave Balon (who recently died) were my guys.

Didn't we just do this in another thread last month? I've been to 2 Super Bowls, 2 Final Fours, 1 World Series game, 2 weekends at the Masters and several rounds at 2 US Opens at Pinehurst.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Arrow Begging your pardon but...

Much better watching on the tube, er, lcd or plasma screen. You know, if you go, you either sit or stand in one place for an entire day (does grade school ring any bells), or walk for miles.

Mgtr, if you are half the man your writing suggests you are (hope you're not a she like Stray)
    Stray Gator is NOT a she.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com