Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

BCS standings and ramifications

So Alabama is locked into the BCS championship game. Can Lsu get away with losing the SEC championship (to Georgia) but still making the BCS championship game?

Didn't Nebraska win a BCS championship a few years ago by the "Alabama route"? If you're a good team, but are in the same division as another good team, this seems like the smart way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    So Alabama is locked into the BCS championship game. Can Lsu get away with losing the SEC championship (to Georgia) but still making the BCS championship game?

Didn't Nebraska win a BCS championship a few years ago by the "Alabama route"? If you're a good team, but are in the same division as another good team, this seems like the smart way to go.
    The consensus is that even if LSU were to lose to Georgia, the voters would drop them no further than #2 in the polls and they would still get into the BCS title game. In fact, this is the scenario that allows the SEC to have the unprecedented 3 teams in BCS games with UGA as the automatic qualifier and LSU/Bama as the #1 and #2 teams automatically placed into the national title game. How crazy is that?!?!

LSU's season has been so impressive, I would go so far as to say that if LSU loses to UGA, the Bayou Bengals are likely to remain #1 in the polls.

-Jason "I do vaguely recall someone making the national title game recently who did not make it to their conference championship game" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    -Jason "I do vaguely recall someone making the national title game recently who did not make it to their conference championship game" Evans
    I don't recall an instance wherein the team didn't even make the conference championship game and got to the BCS Championship game, but there have been two cases that I remember where they lost their conference title game: Nebraska in 2001 and Oklahoma in 2003. Both lost in the title games after losing the conference championship games.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    I don't recall an instance wherein the team didn't even make the conference championship game and got to the BCS Championship game, but there have been two cases that I remember where they lost their conference title game: Nebraska in 2001 and Oklahoma in 2003. Both lost in the title games after losing the conference championship games.
    Yes, everyone griped about Nebraska getting into the big game in 2001 after being badly beaten in the Big 12 Championship game. Everyone was right. Nebraska was absolutely dismantled by one of the great Miami teams of all time in the Rose Bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Yes, everyone griped about Nebraska getting into the big game in 2001 after being badly beaten in the Big 12 Championship game. Everyone was right. Nebraska was absolutely dismantled by one of the great Miami teams of all time in the Rose Bowl.
    Correction. Nebraska lost on Thanksgiving weekend to Colorado, and did NOT play in the Big XII Championship game (so there is precedent). Colorado went on to beat Texas, who would have been the sacrificial lamb to Miami had they won the Big XII championship.

Nebraska got killed by Miami (as expected), and Joey Harrington and Oregon cruised past Colorado (as expected).

I am sure that someone can dream up a scenario where a non-conference champion should go instead of a conference champion, but I can't think of one. It's a simple rule to add to the equation. If we had it this year, Okie State and Va Tech would be battling it out in the polls assuming (big assumption) that they both win this weekend.

I don't need to see LSU and 'Bama play again even if they are the 2 best teams. LSU already beat 'Bama. Case closed. If 'Bama can play LSU again, making that original game meaningless, let's at least ad a "plus one" for god sakes.

Oklahoma St. gained ground on 'Bama this weekend, and there is a longshot chance that if they beat Oklahoma badly that they could get some push in the Harris Poll especially. They will have a large gap on 'Bama in the computers, so if they gain ground in the Harris poll there's a shot. It's a longshot, but it's there.

Make it stop!

Keep in mind this is coming from a big Hokie Football fan. (stop throwing things at your monitor) I just want people around here (Richmond, VA) to stop talking about the "possibility" of Tech playing for the Championship! I have watched every Tech game and a few of the SEC games. Tech should not even be mentioned in the same breath as LSU and Alabama. Not this year. Every time I turn on my radio now, "If so and so loses and Tech beats Clemson, blah, blah, blah" MAKE IT STOP!!
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Oddly, there's some talk about Alabama needing LSU to win the SEC championship game. The thinking is this: there's nothing logically inconsistent about the two best teams being the same conference or even the same division, but you can't be the third "best" team from the SEC and still be one of the two best teams in the country (Alabama would be third behind Georgia and LSU). You can't be the second best team in the country if you're only the second best team in your division AND that division doesn't win the conference championship.

I'm not convinced this line of thinking is all that realistic, but I've seen it mentioned a few times: it's possible that an LSU loss hurts Alabama.

And if that's the case, is LSU better off throwing the game and losing on purpose in order to face a presumably weaker foe like Oklahoma State or Stanford? (I know this has zero percent chance of happening, I'm just throwing it out there for fun)

Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    I don't need to see LSU and 'Bama play again even if they are the 2 best teams. LSU already beat 'Bama. Case closed. If 'Bama can play LSU again, making that original game meaningless, let's at least ad a "plus one" for god sakes.
    I know it is all but inevitable, but the LSU-Bama rematch feels like a cheat. I mean, if Bama wins that means they will have split with LSU (who played a tougher schedule) but Bama gets to be national champs because they won the late game instead of the early one. Really?!?!

Then again, the same kind of thing happens all the time in other sports' playoffs. Duke beats Maryland twice in the regular season but the Terps win the 3rd time in the ACC Championship.

It is also worth noting that the first LSU-Bama game was very close and a solid argument could be made that Bama was the better team. They outgained LSU in total yards. The difference in the game was the Bama kickers went 2-for-6 on FGs while LSU went 3-for-3. Of course, the game was at Bama.

-Jason "I am starting to convince myself this rematch is a good thing" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

It is also worth noting that the first LSU-Bama game was very close and a solid argument could be made that Bama was the better team. They outgained LSU in total yards. The difference in the game was the Bama kickers went 2-for-6 on FGs while LSU went 3-for-3. Of course, the game was at Bama.
    And a blown interception call on the goal line IIRC.

If there is a rematch, I hope 'Bama wins by three or less. That will mean that LSU beat 'Bama in Alabama by three, but Alabama is champion because they won the rematch on a neutral field by the same margin or less.

BCS blows. Have a four team championship. #1 plays #4, and #2 plays #3, in the New Year's bowls. Winners play each other the Saturday right before Superbowl Sunday.

That is my platform, I ask for your vote and support. And to donate to my SuperPAC, by sending Paypal donations to me through the link at my name.

Alas, the hottest team in college football is on probation. I would like USC's chances against any team ahead of the Trojans in the AP poll.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    I know it is all but inevitable, but the LSU-Bama rematch feels like a cheat. I mean, if Bama wins that means they will have split with LSU (who played a tougher schedule) but Bama gets to be national champs because they won the late game instead of the early one. Really?!?!

Then again, the same kind of thing happens all the time in other sports' playoffs. Duke beats Maryland twice in the regular season but the Terps win the 3rd time in the ACC Championship.

-Jason "I am starting to convince myself this rematch is a good thing" Evans
    I suppose I am going against the grain here, but given the current format, I want the two best teams to play, no matter who they are. This season that means LSU and Alabama. Agree it is a weird situation, but since their isn't going to be two undefeated teams (shame on you Boise for blowing a chance to blow up the BCS), then Alabama has to be selected. They are easily the best of the one loss teams. Anyone think Alabama would lose to Iowa St or barely scratch by Duke 14-10?

I hate the BCS as much as anyone and wish we could have at least a 4 Team tournament, but until then, my preference is to have the 2 best teams play even if that means a rematch.

As I mentioned earlier, I really wanted Boise St to remain undefeated and force the BCS to choose them or face the wrath of the media by choosing a one-loss team over an undefeated Boise St. Darn FG kicker!

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    ...but since their isn't going to be two undefeated teams...
    Really?
    university-of-houston-football-houston-football-takes-field-hou-f-x-00049lg.jpg

-Jason

Really?
    Write it down: Houston is going to beat Michigan or Virginia Tech in a BCS bowl and finish the entire season undefeated.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Ooops! My bad. Totally missed the fact that Houston is still undefeated.

It's very simple, really. There is NO EXCUSE for not having a four or eight team playoff. Maybe a very few people will make more money otherwise, but the sooner we get those very few people out of the decision making process, the better. If LSU and Bama beat one or two nonconference teams on the way to the championship, nobody would be arguing about the winner.

As soon as there is any playoff beyond two teams in a "bcs championship", the ncaa wrests the money from the bcs. This is a huge deal - expect the bcs conferences to fight this one to the bitter end.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    As soon as there is any playoff beyond two teams in a "bcs championship", the ncaa wrests the money from the bcs. This is a huge deal - expect the bcs conferences to fight this one to the bitter end.

-jk
    Why? I hear this all the time by why couldn't the BCS powers that be make 2 BCS bowls a rotating semifinals with what is now the BCS championship be the final - without turning it over to the NCAAs.

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post

-jk
    In the bitter end, maybe the NCAA can be more flexible. Compared to the amount of money made from conference TV contracts, the BCS nonsense is small potatoes. If the NCAA wants more money to distribute to the schools that don't pay their coaches $5 mil a year (also absurd, of course), then maybe they can cut a deal.

Why? I hear this all the time by why couldn't the BCS powers that be make 2 BCS bowls a rotating semifinals with what is now the BCS championship be the final - without turning it over to the NCAAs.
    The NCAA has regulations about how many games a team can play. Playoffs represent an exception, but they have to be NCAA playoffs.

Isnt this what the 16-team mega-conferences is all about? Push the NCAA to the side and control all that college football tv money, then do the bowls and BCS and maybe playoffs how they want.

If not for bad FG kicking and that goal-line pick, Bama is undefeated. I'll take them again vs. LSU, and that is my preferred matchup too. Better than Ok St or anyone else...