UNC-UNLV-UCLA Transfers

Its interesting to me that the Wear twins transfer from Unc-ch to UCLA and went from a good team to a bad one. UCLA is a bad team this year, at least at this point.

UNLV beats Unc-ch. Two of the top three scorers for UNLV were transfers from UCLA.

In my opinion Howland has problems at UCLA. He just can not keep players. Too many early NBA defections and transfers.

SoCal

transfers

And don't forget, Larry Drew II is at UCLA, waiting to be eligible -- next year. It will be interesting to watch since UNC suddenly got a lot better when he was replaced in Chapel Hill.

Next year, 3/5ths of the UCLA starting lineup could be ex-UNC players. And 2/5ths of the Southern Cal lineup could be starters off that 8-win Wake team from last year (Ari Stewart and JT Terrell). And a lot of Kentucky people are counting on Ryan Harrow to be their starting point guard next season.

It will be fascinating to watch all those guys -- all major disappointments on Tobacco Road -- fare at thir new schools.

Mike Moser wasn't known for working hard inside during high school here in Portland. It's good to see him tallying such impressive rebound totals... even against a school that develops elite post players (sorry, couldn't resist).

And for the record, LDII will be eligible in January from what I have read. So the 3/5 UNC transfer dream line-up may only be a few weeks away.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post
    Its interesting to me that the Wear twins transfer from Unc-ch to UCLA and went from a good team to a bad one. UCLA is a bad team this year, at least at this point.

UNLV beats Unc-ch. Two of the top three scorers for UNLV were transfers from UCLA.

In my opinion Howland has problems at UCLA. He just can not keep players. Too many early NBA defections and transfers.

SoCal
    I agree that Howland's stock has dipped in the last couple of years, and that early NBA defections have played a role, but not transfers. Neither Stanback nor Moser was having any impact at UCLA at the time they left. It was not a big deal at the time. Early NBA defections are hard to count "against" a coach in most circumstances, as it really is emblematic of the coach recruiting almost too well. Tyler Honeycutt and Malcolm Lee should not have come out last year, but most of the other early entrants -- guys like Love, Holiday, and Westbrook -- were ready. Or what passes for ready in this day and age.

UCLA's recent woes have been caused more, IMO, by a couple of recruiting classes that didn't pan out nearly as well as expected.

The 2008 class included Lee, who was solid but by no means spectacular (I think he was rated the #4 PG in the class); Jrue Holiday, who showed some very good signs in his one year despite having to play out of position; Drew Gordon, who was a major locker room problem and transferred out with nobody trying to stop him; Jerime Anderson, who has been below average and not even a regular starter; and Bobo Morgan, a complete washout. The class was a disappointment, for sure. It may have even been rated the #1 class in the country at the time.

The 2009 class included Honeycutt, Moser, Reeves Nelson, who has been a solid, bruising forward and was to be the best player on the team this year but behavioral problems have threatened to end his UCLA career, and then Brendan Lane and Anthony Stover, neither of whom have proven anything. Not a great group.

2010 included Joshua Smith, who was the #2 center in the class. He was OK his freshman year, but clearly overweight. Tractor Traylor type. It also included Tyler Lamb, the #5 shooting guard, who also was just OK, plus Lazeric Jones who I think was a JC transfer and started out of necessity. Again, not a lot of big-time production there.

So it looks to me like Howland has successfully recruited a lot of good players, even in the last few years when the team's fortunes on the court have waned. It's that a lot of the highly rated recruits simply have not played to expectations.

This year he already has a couple of nice commits -- in addition to potential rock star Kyle Anderson -- plus folks here think they're in the running for Tony Parker (I don't think so) and they definitely are in the running for Shabazz Muhammad. Getting one of those guys, especially Shabazz, would be a huge boost for the program. After losing to LMU and then Middle Tennessee State by 20, at home, they sure need it.

UCLA = University of Carolina players that Left Angry.