Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    "Retired"; did he ever actually play?

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
    Good luck Lance! Hope they realize your worth to their team and sign you to an extended contract. Every Duke fan is pulling for you. Thanks again for your part in our obtaining a 4th Banner!
    I also like to thank Lance for his wonderful contributions to Duke. Also, I recall that before Lance's senior season, Coach K said something to the effect that Lance will be in the NBA. I hope this trend continues for Lance. Even with the uncertainty and hard work he's gotta be putting in, I really hope he's most of all enjoying his playing career. And... count me as one Duke fan PULLING FOR YOU!!!
    Last edited by gep; 02-24-2012 at 11:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Zoub's has retired from professional basketball and is living in NJ. He had some business opportunities that he wanted to pursue rather than risk further injuries to his back, leg and foot. He's doing "good"!
    I follow Zoubs on Twitter. He's also following Duke basketball. He gave a big shout-out for Miles in the FSU game.

Hornets To Keep Lance Thomas For Season

Way-to-go-you-dave-chappell-look-alike-you !!!!

awesome news!!
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Looks like he won't have live on the Cheetos diet. The annual salary for first year players is $490,180. So half of that, for half a season, is $245,090. Not a bad start.

Put another Devil on the NBA board.

Well done, Lance. Invest your money wisely. Hopefully, there will be more where that came from.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    Looks like he won't have live on the Cheetos diet. The annual salary for first year players is $490,180. So half of that, for half a season, is $245,090. Not a bad start.

Put another Devil on the NBA board.

Well done, Lance. Invest your money wisely. Hopefully, there will be more where that came from.
    After double-checking, I have come to realize that the cited figure is from the expired CBA. The correct annual NBA salary based on the December CBA is $473,604. Annually that is a reduction of $16,576 or 3.3%. So his half is now $236,802, some $8,288 less than if he'd been hired under the old CBA. Looks like that compromise in December resulted in a hosing of the undrafted rookies.

I think, per a NYT article today on the Nets' Andre Emmett, that the 10-day contracts are worth $50-60,000. But a team may not offer more than two of those to a player. Lance's second 10-day contract was up. On those contracts he made at least $100,000; now he gets some stability, but at a much reduced daily rate.

Lance shouldn't have been a victim, but it looks like he is, even if he's a lot better off than he was a few weeks ago, after all, $100,000 plus $236,802 comes to $336,802. I guess he can absorb the $8200 reduction and smile--perhaps ruefully. It's only paper to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    After double-checking, I have come to realize that the cited figure is from the expired CBA. The correct annual NBA salary based on the December CBA is $473,604. Annually that is a reduction of $16,576 or 3.3%. So his half is now $236,802, some $8,288 less than if he'd been hired under the old CBA. Looks like that compromise in December resulted in a hosing of the undrafted rookies.

I think, per a NYT article today on the Nets' Andre Emmett, that the 10-day contracts are worth $50-60,000. But a team may not offer more than two of those to a player. Lance's second 10-day contract was up. On those contracts he made at least $100,000; now he gets some stability, but at a much reduced daily rate.

Lance shouldn't have been a victim, but it looks like he is, even if he's a lot better off than he was a few weeks ago, after all, $100,000 plus $236,802 comes to $336,802. I guess he can absorb the $8200 reduction and smile--perhaps ruefully. It's only paper to him.
    Shouldn't it only be 40% of the minimum that he will be paid given that this season is only 80% of a full season.

Quote Originally Posted by SCMatt33 View Post
    Shouldn't it only be 40% of the minimum that he will be paid given that this season is only 80% of a full season.
    Good question. I don't know the answer. I was roughing it since this occurred at the season's apparent halfway point, all-star weekend. The HR people and the payroll accountants would be more accurate. I never considered the impact of the shortened season. My guess is that you are correct, but we'd need to talk to a team's front office or the league office to know or sure.

As usual, the bean counters take the fun out of it. (No, SCMatt, I'm not accusing you of being either a bean counter or a fun removal artist, just observing that whenever one gets into a payroll question, it only rarely works in the employee's favor, i.e., Lance's favor.)

Let's look at it this way.

A. Most people thought Lance would never play in the NBA at all.

B. It's a lot more money than he's ever made up until now.

C. Hey, he could make a lot more next year!

I think that's the way Lance sees it. I mean, how often do 5 and 6 point a game scorers as seniors
    in college make the NBA? (Admittedly one with excellent defense!) Not very often. Let's give him
    a lot of credit for hanging tough, working hard, believing in himself, and beating the odds.
    Way to go Lance! What a credit to the program!

Come to Duke, work your butt off, succeed. Nice formula.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by hq2 View Post
    Not a bad salary for a 23 year-old, 2nd-year professional! Lance just went from the 0th to 99th percentile of the 2010 Duke class, salary-wise.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by hq2 View Post
    Let's look at it this way.

A. Most people thought Lance would never play in the NBA at all.

C. Hey, he could make a lot more next year!

I think that's the way Lance sees it. I mean, how often do 5 and 6 point a game scorers as seniors
    in college make the NBA? (Admittedly one with excellent defense!) Not very often. Let's give him
    a lot of credit for hanging tough, working hard, believing in himself, and beating the odds.
    Way to go Lance! What a credit to the program!
    I bet Lance doesn't see it this way. I've followed him on facebook, and it's very clear to me that he is all about the rewards of hard work. That much you did point out, and while you are correct that most folks never saw him as being on NBA roster I don't think he ever saw himself any other way. If he suffered some injury that were to keep him off the court, I bet he could make millions being a motivational speaker..he must have some serious drive to overcome others' expectations and prove himself the way he has.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    Lance just went from the 0th to 99th percentile of the 2010 Duke class, salary-wise.
    Congrats to Lance! It's not everyone who goes from the 99% to the 1%, metaphorically speaking!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    Not a bad salary for a 23 year-old, 2nd-year professional! Lance just went from the 0th to 99th percentile of the 2010 Duke class, salary-wise.
    Another surprising stat about Lance Thomas:

Of all the players on Duke's 2010 National Champs, Lance has scored the most points in the NBA so far.
    He has 137 points total, and Nolan currently has 96 points.
    Kyle is in Spain, Zoubs didn't quite make it, and Jon Scheyer is in Israel after a serious eye injury derailed his NBA hopes.

Who woulda thunk it?

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post

Of all the players on Duke's 2010 National Champs, Lance has scored the most points in the NBA so far.
    Kyle is in Spain, Zoubs didn't quite make it, and Jon Scheyer is in Israel after a serious eye injury derailed his NBA hopes.

Who woulda thunk it?
    Amazing stat until you realize that Kobe has put up that many points in THREE games. Dang...

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post

Who woulda thunk it?
    If I recall correctly, Coach K did "thunk it". At the start of Lance's senior season, Coach K said something to the effect that Lance will be in the NBA, or has a chance to be in the NBA, or something like that. I think most posters on DBR went something like "really?".

If you know this board then you know I've long since been on the Lance is a NBA player bandwagon. Even bumped heads with Jumbo on the matter. He will have a long career. He's a classic Bruce Bowen and I still stand by that. Additionally, he still has plenty of room to grow into his frame. He's gonna be a lot better in his 30s than his 20s simply b/c he will be fully developed.

Lance Thomas senior video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGt8d...eature=related

Great stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by gep View Post
    If I recall correctly, Coach K did "thunk it". At the start of Lance's senior season, Coach K said something to the effect that Lance will be in the NBA, or has a chance to be in the NBA, or something like that. I think most posters on DBR went something like "really?".
    Right. I think most on the board are aware of Coach K's comments regarding Lance. The poster was surprised that Lance has more points in his NBA career, at this point, than anyone else who was on the 2010 team.