Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Lance Gets Some Burn!

Ten minutes and four boards (no points) in a loss to the Kings at home. -- sage

Don't usually post on here (hoping this is the appropriate thread), but Lance has gotten into the Hornets' last two games: two points and four rebounds against the Bulls last week and seven points and four boards against the Trail Blazers last night.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/lance_...ame_stats.html - "result" column links to the box scores.

He signed the ten-day on the 6th, so I guess he'll have two more chances (the 13th against the Jazz and the 15th against the Bucks) to impress - I think the 10-day rule is "whichever comes later" of ten days or three games.

Atta boy Lance! So happy to hear he is getting some burn in the NBA! Hard work at its finest right there.

I think long-term Lance should try the Euro League. I think his game would fit really well over there and he'd do really well. If he's not signed to an NBA contract this year or after summer league this next year, I say he should give it a shot.

Anyone know what Zoubs is up to? Is he still playing ball or has he gone on to other things?

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoCrazy84 View Post
    Atta boy Lance! So happy to hear he is getting some burn in the NBA! Hard work at its finest right there.

I think long-term Lance should try the Euro League. I think his game would fit really well over there and he'd do really well. If he's not signed to an NBA contract this year or after summer league this next year, I say he should give it a shot.

Anyone know what Zoubs is up to? Is he still playing ball or has he gone on to other things?
    Yeah, what is Zoubek doing? If healthy, I'd think that he could be playing in Europe.

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    There was a recent article - perhaps in the run-up to the Temple game? - that had an interview with Brian. He made it pretty clear in that article that his professional playing days were over.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Another field goal last night and another 10-day this afternoon! Not a particularly stable existence, but at least he's sticking around.

http://www.nba.com/hornets/news/horn...ce_thomas.html

Quote Originally Posted by williamsdevil View Post
    Another field goal last night and another 10-day this afternoon! Not a particularly stable existence, but at least he's sticking around.

http://www.nba.com/hornets/news/horn...ce_thomas.html
    This link indicates that two 10-day contracts is the max a player can receive from one team in one season. After that, the team has to sign them for the remainder of the season or it's adios.

http://thegoodpoint.com/2011/02/nba-10-day-contracts/

Hope he impresses. Would be awesome to see him get a contract for the rest of the season! But sounds like a longshot.

FWIW, Lance is averaging 2.6 PPG (45% FG), 3.4 RPG and 0.6 TOs in 8.6 MPG in the 5 games since his return.

Much better than the 1 PT and 0 RBs in 4 total minutes in the three games in his initial stint.

Nothing mind-blowing, but it's nice to see him making a positive contribution when he's on the court. Would be great to see him get a contract for the rest of the season.

3.4 RPG
    In 8.6 mpg? That's 19 rebounds per game over 48 minutes! Maybe he'll get
    more PT!

Raise your hand if you thought that Lance would be the starter from the championship team who would be getting the most minutes in the NBA two seasons later.

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    Raise your hand if you thought that Lance would be the starter from the championship team who would be getting the most minutes in the NBA two seasons later.
    I wouldn't say he's getting the most minutes. Before tonight, Nolan has played 103 minutes to Lance's 47. Technically Lance has averaged less than a minute more per game played than Nolan, but that stat is incredibly flawed since he didn't have a roster spot for many of those games. If he was hurt, that would be one thing, but that's kind of misleading. However, if you told me then to guess which players were playing at all in the NBA right now, he would have been my 6th guess after the other starters plus Mason (considering that in 2010 it was very plausible that he could have left after 2011).

Quote Originally Posted by SCMatt33 View Post
    I wouldn't say he's getting the most minutes. Before tonight, Nolan has played 103 minutes to Lance's 47. Technically Lance has averaged less than a minute more per game played than Nolan, but that stat is incredibly flawed since he didn't have a roster spot for many of those games. If he was hurt, that would be one thing, but that's kind of misleading. However, if you told me then to guess which players were playing at all in the NBA right now, he would have been my 6th guess after the other starters plus Mason (considering that in 2010 it was very plausible that he could have left after 2011).
    I was on my i-pod touch and I thought "Raise your hand if you thought that Lance would be the starter from the 2010 championship team who would be getting the most minutes in the NBA for this period of a couple of weeks that is only 22 months after the championship, over Nolan who will surely get more minutes eventually and Kyle who will likely play more eventually but he is playing successfully for one of the best teams in Spain right now and maybe Jon will make the NBA and have a successful career but he is playing for the best team in Israel right now." would be a little long and I thought my point would get across better that way. I was just noticing that Lance has played more the last week or more than Nolan and what a great story he has been. I agree I would have also picked Mason as more likely to be playing in the NBA right now over Lance. Who knew?

ok, so i'm looking back over the thread....did lance survive his 2nd 10 day? You can only get 2 then they have to sign you for the rest of the season...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    ok, so i'm looking back over the thread....did lance survive his 2nd 10 day? You can only get 2 then they have to sign you for the rest of the season...
    He signed a second 10-day contract on Feb 16. There is a limit of 2 10-day contracts per player, per season, so the Hornets will have to decide to either keep him all year or cut him loose on Feb 26th, next Sunday.

-Jason "fingers crossed for a great kid!" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Salary

By the way, I thought I would add the following...

The minimum salary a 10-day contract can offer is the # of days in the contract divided by the # of days in the regular season multiplied by the minimum annual salary.
    In past seasons that came out to a little less than $30,000. But, this year, with a more compressed schedule, the season only lasts 124 days (Dec 25 - April 26). It was more like 175 days in past years. The minimum salary for this year is $473,604. So, when you divide 10 by 124 and multiply that by $473,604, you get a 10-day contract worth...

$38,193.87

So, for his 2 10-day contracts Lance will be making upwards of $75 grand.

Not bad for a few weeks of work

I may be wrong, but I believe salaries in the D-League are less than $30 grand for an entire season.

--Jason "took a little bit of research to find all of this... hope it is correct" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    By the way, I thought I would add the following...

In past seasons that came out to a little less than $30,000. But, this year, with a more compressed schedule, the season only lasts 124 days (Dec 25 - April 26). It was more like 175 days in past years. The minimum salary for this year is $473,604. So, when you divide 10 by 124 and multiply that by $473,604, you get a 10-day contract worth...

$38,193.87

So, for his 2 10-day contracts Lance will be making upwards of $75 grand.

Not bad for a few weeks of work

I may be wrong, but I believe salaries in the D-League are less than $30 grand for an entire season.

--Jason "took a little bit of research to find all of this... hope it is correct" Evans
    Somewhat obscure reference to NBDL salaries being between 12-24K per year. Ouch. See bottom of page...

http://www.insidehoops.com/nbdl.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    Somewhat obscure reference to NBDL salaries being between 12-24K per year. Ouch. See bottom of page...

http://www.insidehoops.com/nbdl.shtml
    The other question, in light of rock-bottom salaries, is whether the players get expense allowances or whether housing is provided. -- sage

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    He signed a second 10-day contract on Feb 16. There is a limit of 2 10-day contracts per player, per season, so the Hornets will have to decide to either keep him all year or cut him loose on Feb 26th, next Sunday.

-Jason "fingers crossed for a great kid!" Evans
    Just a small clarification, that's pretty nit-picky, but also important. The Hornets must only decide whether to pay him (not keep him) or not. They can easily sign him, and then send him back to the D-League as an NBA player if they felt that they still needed him, but once other guys came back, didn't want him inactive every night. With the new CBA, any player in his first 3 years can be sent to the D-League at any time, but they still have to get paid their NBA salary. The league fought to change that, but ultimately gave it up.

I doubt that they would do that, unless they feel either a) they like him and want him for the year and are worried that if they cut him again someone else would sign him for the rest of the year before they'd bring him back a 3rd time for the remainder of the season or b) their injured players aren't ready to come back yet and feel that Lance (who has been with them since camp) is more valuable even on a full year contract compared to signing someone new to a 10-day.

Good luck Lance! Hope they realize your worth to their team and sign you to an extended contract. Every Duke fan is pulling for you. Thanks again for your part in our obtaining a 4th Banner!

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    Yeah, what is Zoubek doing? If healthy, I'd think that he could be playing in Europe.
    Zoub's has retired from professional basketball and is living in NJ. He had some business opportunities that he wanted to pursue rather than risk further injuries to his back, leg and foot. He's doing "good"!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com