20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor

Bizzare Game In Raleigh- NC State Rally's from 41-14 in the 2nd Half to Win

Crazy game in Raleigh today. In the first half State fumbled on their first 3 possessions, and then threw a pick-6. They fell behind 14-0, then 28-14 at the half. It got worse in the 2nd half when Maryland scored two quick touchdowns to go up 41-14 in the 3rd (missed PAT).

Then somehow, the momentum changed. State proceeded to score 42 straight points to win 56-41. I listened to most of it while putting up Christmas lights outside. Unreal. It was the 2nd biggest comeback in ACC history by one point. Clemson came back from a 28-0 deficit many moons ago to win a ACC game.

The announcers said a lot of fans hit the exits when it went to 41-14. Bet those fans are sick to their stomach for giving up and missing out on a historic win. It was the biggest comeback in NC State history.

Only in the ACC does crazy stuff like that happen...

Happy for the Pack but even more happy for Tom O'Brien. O'Brien has been under a lot of pressure due to the Russell Wilson fiasco and really was (maybe still is) on the hot seat. I think he is a good man and doing things the right way. He helped them to 9 wins last year and they are bowl bound this year. I for one would be proud if he were the coach of my team. So I'm happy they pulled it out and are going bowling. Always thought the heat O'Brien got was undeserved.
    http://www.dukesportsblog.com/

Twitter: @MikeKlineDSB

Facebook: Duke Sports Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    The announcers said a lot of fans hit the exits when it went to 41-14. Bet those fans are sick to their stomach for giving up and missing out on a historic win. It was the biggest comeback in NC State history.
    Glad you started a thread; that game definitely deserves one. Guilty as charged, at least with the remote. I had that game on ESPN GamePlan. Gave up at 41-14, hoping to see Kentucky beat Tennessee for the first time since I was in third grade, or check up on GT-UGA. Saw posts on Facebook about a 56-41 win and bout dropped my eye teeth.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

That was the wildest of games, but so typical for both State and the ACC. Obviously a comeback from 27 down in the 3rd quarter isn't typical - but rather the Jeckyll and Hyde nature of State's play. This is the team that can lose to BC and stomp Clemson in back to back weeks. Against Maryland they managed to get destroyed by a team for 35+ minutes, then annihilate the same team with 42 unanswered points in a quarter and a half.

Obviously Maryland deserves some credit for such a phenomenal collapse, and I am more than happy to congratulate all the Maryland fans I know for their team's record-setting debacle.

It actually begs the question, which was the most epic Maryland collapse of all time?

1) Gone in 54 Seconds
    2) The 2001 Final Four meltdown
    3) State's 42 unanswered points yesterday

I asked this to my Maryland fan friends on Facebook and got no answers. But I think my "friends" count dropped by about a dozen...

Addendum: I stuck with the game, partially because it was on in the background as I was folding laundry, internet Christmas shopping, etc...but partially because I turned the TV off with a minute left in the Gone in 54 Seconds game, not being able to stomach the idea of watching the Maryland fans storm the court. I woke up the next morning and checked the score to see how bad it was, and was hit by a huge wave of regret for having given up on the game.

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post

1) Gone in 54 Seconds
    2) The 2001 Final Four meltdown
    3) State's 42 unanswered points yesterday
    Does this mean I can afford to be proud that I gave up on none of the above?

I only fear Cecil the Toitle.cecil the turtle.jpg

The Pack were down 41-21... after 3 quarters! They scored to start the fourth to make it 41-28, at which point I thought (get a couple of stops and they might win. And then on the next play from scrimmage Maryland committed a costly fumble to give the Pack the ball deep in Maryland territory. State converted, and suddenly it was a one-possession game with about 13:30 to go. At that point, it seemed like only a matter of time before State would take the lead. The only question would be whether State would find a way to blow it.

The theme of the game was bad turnovers. State had 4 of them, including a couple of ridiculous fumbles (one of which was on an UNTOUCHED player). But Maryland was not to be outdone. They countered with 5 turnovers, 3 of them coming in the 4th quarter (one was returned for a TD).

Just a really unbelievable game. State could not have tried much harder to lose in the first half. They were down 34-14 at the half with 4 turnovers. And then, Maryland decided to step it down a notch and give it right back.

Credit to the State defense for getting tough in the second half and giving themselves a chance. And credit to State's offense for scoring TD on their last 5 possessions after turning it over on their first 3.