Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

MBB: Duke vs. Ohio St. Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

I know its still a few days away and most people's minds are on the football game today (GTHC!!) but I am anxious to discuss the huge match-up with Ohio St.

This is probably the biggest game in an amazing stretch of games against high quality opponents. It will be another great test for our guys and could solidify our spot among the nations top teams. I am most anxious to see how our bigs match-up with arguably the best big man in the league. Thoughts?

OSU

I'm really looking forward to this game.

However, I would argue that we already played, and won, the biggest game of our season. There are very few chances to compete for a championship each season, and in our first chance, the guys took care of business and with panache...

OSU will be a different challenge for sure. I look forward to Mason play D on another great post player. I'm also looking forward to seeing our backcourt match up against a great defensive player in Craft.

Go Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by JayZee View Post
    I'm really looking forward to this game.

However, I would argue that we already played, and won, the biggest game of our season. There are very few chances to compete for a championship each season, and in our first chance, the guys took care of business and with panache...

OSU will be a different challenge for sure. I look forward to Mason play D on another great post player. I'm also looking forward to seeing our backcourt match up against a great defensive player in Craft.

Go Duke.
    I started to say "arguably" the biggest game instead of "probably" because I rode the fence on that one. Getting the hardware was definitely a great thing and hopefully it will make our guys crave more. But they say the next game is always the most important so I went with it. I also said Sullinger was "arguably" the best big guy in the league, because I think Mason may be making a case for himself! This game will be huge for him.

I haven't seen a lot of OSU this season. Are their shooters good enough to stretch our D out and keep them honest, or are we going to be able to pack it in a little and make life tough on Sullinger?

First real away game, and against an excellent opponent with a different challenge than we've faced.

As with all of the prior games, we should learn something.

I will be curious to see our interior defense, and how our younger players perform in such a hostile atmosphere.

school will be in session...we/they will learn a lot about us/them....

OSU is very good...here's hoping we are on our game...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

This game will only add to a team that is continuing to develop. This game will tell us if Mason can play back to back solid games. To this date he has not been able to perform in consecutive games.

I am looking forward to seeing our team after traveling to New York for an emotional game then back to Durham for a lackluster first half against Davidson then a trip to Hawaii for three terrific games and a championship. This team has to be tired and if they can go to Ohio and win there will be a lot of talk about this team doing some big things come March and April.

This team has to be exhausted though. Thanks for another championship Duke!!
    The Terrapin Assassin

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedevil114 View Post
    This game will only add to a team that is continuing to develop. This game will tell us if Mason can play back to back solid games. To this date he has not been able to perform in consecutive games.

I am looking forward to seeing our team after traveling to New York for an emotional game then back to Durham for a lackluster first half against Davidson then a trip to Hawaii for three terrific games and a championship. This team has to be tired and if they can go to Ohio and win there will be a lot of talk about this team doing some big things come March and April.

This team has to be exhausted though. Thanks for another championship Duke!!
    I am trying to figure out which game Mason hasn't been solid in.
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    I am trying to figure out which game Mason hasn't been solid in.
    I don't think that it is outlandish to suggest that Mason has so far been great, but a little inconsistent. While clearly better than last season, he has definitely been up and down, posting less-than-impressive numbers in a couple of games (6 points and 5 rebounds against UM; 7 points and 5 rebounds against MSU). He has also put up some healthy double-doubles and, it has to be said, played well in back-to-back games twice already this year. Of course, how consistent he will be through the entire season remains to be seen, but at this point, it isn't unrealistic to suspect that this is going to be Mason's break-out year.

Just out of curiosity, why did Duke get Ohio St. instead of UNC?
    Trinity '09

Quote Originally Posted by CrazieDUMB View Post
    Just out of curiosity, why did Duke get Ohio St. instead of UNC?
    I believe it was because both UNC and Ohio St. were due to have home games this year. I am actually happy we get Ohio State. Win or lose I am sure that the guys will learn a lot from the tough schedule and hopefully it will help them in March.

Quote Originally Posted by zack2014 View Post
    I believe it was because both UNC and Ohio St. were due to have home games this year. I am actually happy we get Ohio State. Win or lose I am sure that the guys will learn a lot from the tough schedule and hopefully it will help them in March.
    I think it goes on last year's ratings. We won the title.

Plus, didn't they play each other last year?

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I think it goes on last year's ratings. We won the title.

Plus, didn't they play each other last year?
    We won the official title, but they finished first in the regular season. I'm not sure how it actually works.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Sullinger

I fear him in the same way that I feared Derrick Williams last March. But Sullinger plays on a much better team than last year's AZ Wildcats. It will take a great effort by all for Duke to prevail ... but we can do it!

Quote Originally Posted by Jderf View Post
    I don't think that it is outlandish to suggest that Mason has so far been great, but a little inconsistent. While clearly better than last season, he has definitely been up and down, posting less-than-impressive numbers in a couple of games (6 points and 5 rebounds against UM; 7 points and 5 rebounds against MSU). He has also put up some healthy double-doubles and, it has to be said, played well in back-to-back games twice already this year. Of course, how consistent he will be through the entire season remains to be seen, but at this point, it isn't unrealistic to suspect that this is going to be Mason's break-out year.
    I'm also on the Mason bandwagon and believe he's our most important player. I think we can lose any other player for a game or so and win about any game on the schedule; but losing Mason for a big game would against a talented frontcourt could be disastrous.

He has also put up some healthy double-doubles and, it has to be said, played well in back-to-back games twice already this year.
    Yes, but I don't think he's done it twice in a row against QUALITY COMP. If he can put up , say, 15 and 10 against Sullinger, similar to what he did
    against Kansas, we can start discussing how he's finally arrived. Till then, not totally convinced. More convinced, by the way, about RK. He's showing
    it game in and game out, and will clearly get better. HE has arrived.

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    We won the official title, but they finished first in the regular season. I'm not sure how it actually works.
    I'm pretty sure it's regular season rankings from the previous year.

It is the last year of the contract and UNC and OSU both needed 1 more home game to make it even over the course of the contract.

Note: I can't find any evidence to back this up, but it seems to be what my oft erroneous memory recalls
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by arnie is still king View Post
    I'm also on the Mason bandwagon and believe he's our most important player. I think we can lose any other player for a game or so and win about any game on the schedule; but losing Mason for a big game would against a talented frontcourt could be disastrous.
    Hmm. I'm not so sure he's our most important player. At least, not yet. At the moment I'd probably make the case for Seth as most important. But who knows? This team is spread so evenly that, by the end of the season, our most important player could be any of our starting five. In fact, you can't even rule out the potential for surprises from the bench.

In other words, it's going to be an exciting year.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by Jderf View Post
    The only issue I take with the "inconsistent" label, is folks are only looking at points as the measure. Mason played a wonderful game against MSU imo. Free throws and an uncalled goal tend kept him out of double figures. However, he played great defense and had several hustle plays and assists, along with drawing numerous fouls.

It is fair to ding him for poor free throw shooting but overall I agree with NSDuke that Mason has been consistently good/great in all 7 games.

As for this game, I am cautiously optimistic. I think we match up well with OSU. If we can guard the perimeter consistently and stop dribble penetration, we should be able take OSU to the wire ala the Kansas game. After seeing how well the guys have performed thus far, I don't expect them to get rattled in the hostile environment, however, that is always a possibility on the road, so I can't discount it.

A 7-1 start for this team against a very tough schedule would be great, but 8-0 would be almost unreal. This is great opportunity for the guys. I hope they play well.

Aaron Craft will be the big threat to this team.

The key for me is how the team reacts to Craft...he's quite possibly the best defending guard in the country. Craft will probably be on different players throughout the game - my bet is he starts on Curry but will be on Rivers at least part of the time, and definitely all of the time when Curry is out of the game (for the 5 minutes).

Craft will drive our guys nuts (I suspect he'll kill Rivers). So I would actually try and put the focus on using the guy he's not defending (and using a screen here and there to get him off of some guys every now and then). If he's on Rivers, Curry can run the offense looking for others. If he's on Curry, Rivers can drive.

Regardless, I doubt heavily that Craft will be on Dre, so Dre should see a lot of use in this game. He's likely key.

Overall we're probably heavy dogs in this game, but it is winnable if we hit our shots.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

Mason, Sullinger, et. al.

I think Mason is our most important player. He's our anchor on D and provides our only real threat on the block. I actually think Mason will bother Sullinger, as Sully has issues with taller, athletic players.

I feel very good about our chances on Tuesday. I look forward to seeing how our guys respond to the hostile environment.