Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    He's going to have to recruit harder than he ever has. I imagine it was easier when he was pitching brighter days in Durham after his arrival, but he's been at the helm for 4 years now and has just turned in back to back 3 win seasons. I'm fully in Coach Cut's camp, but to come to Duke you have to be smart, and a smart kid will look at the numbers.

I bet you can pencil that in for a 7PM kickoff. We'll be there setting up our grills at 7AM, as always. And as always, I'm excited for next year. GO DUKE!!!
    Time to start a thread for the 2012 home opener yet? (jk)

Quote Originally Posted by arnie is still king View Post
    So "Arnie" isn't a fair weather fan, just somebody that's happy he doesn't have to expend the emotional energy for 9 months.
    Given that there hasn't been any fair weather for almost 20 years, it's probably a safe bet that there is no such thing as a Fair Weather Duke Football Fan, at least not among the current fanbase.

Originally Posted by mkline09
    He said you might not see him for a while because he was going to be recruiting hard.
    He's going to have to recruit harder than he ever has. I imagine it was easier when he was pitching brighter days in Durham after his arrival, but he's been at the helm for 4 years now and has just turned in back to back 3 win seasons. I'm fully in Coach Cut's camp, but to come to Duke you have to be smart, and a smart kid will look at the numbers.

I bet you can pencil that in for a 7PM kickoff. We'll be there setting up our grills at 7AM, as always. And as always, I'm excited for next year. GO DUKE!!!
    Most of the recruiting for 2012 is done, unless some 4 or 5 star DL plops into our lap, which would be REALLY nice . He's out looking at juniors and sophs for 2013 and 2014.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Most of the recruiting for 2012 is done, unless some 4 or 5 star DL plops into our lap, which would be REALLY nice . He's out looking at juniors and sophs for 2013 and 2014.
    I have not read any updates for a while but I think Cut was still looking at Jela Carter (sp?) a RB from Charlotte who might be a 4 star player. My biggest concern will be if we get any significant number of de-commits from our list of 20+ verbals from the fall when signing day rolls around in February, 2012. Would enjoy reading any updates from pbc2, mlkline, OF and/or Jim Summer if they have any "news" at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by -bdbd View Post
    ... What do we know about next year's schedule so far? Will it be condusive to winning 6 or more games?
    Here's what I found after a brief search:

2012 Duke Blue Devils Football Schedule
    Date/Time Opponent Result Tickets
    Sat. 09/01/12 Time TBA Florida International
    Sat. 09/08/12 Time TBA at Stanford
    I believe the four non-conference games next year are ...

Memphis 2-10 this year and just fired their coach
    NCCU 2-9 this year
    FIU 8-4 this year but we beat them down there
    @Stanford - losing Luck ...

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I have not read any updates for a while but I think Cut was still looking at Jela Carter (sp?) a RB from Charlotte who might be a 4 star player. My biggest concern will be if we get any significant number of de-commits from our list of 20+ verbals from the fall when signing day rolls around in February, 2012. Would enjoy reading any updates from pbc2, mlkline, OF and/or Jim Summer if they have any "news" at this time.
    Jela Duncan is the running back to whom you are referring.

Well, I did say most. There are one or two they are still working on, but as far as turning up new prospects, the efforts are for future classes. But a surprise DL would be welcomed with open arms.

Do we really have 20+ verbals? That number seems a bit high.

9F 9F 9F

Well, I did say most. There are one or two they are still working on, but as far as turning up new prospects, the efforts are for future classes. But a surprise DL would be welcomed with open arms.

Do we really have 20+ verbals? That number seems a bit high.

Both Scout and Rivals list 14 commitments. Small class thusfar. But I too had read that we were holding a couple of schollies for potential late big-time commitments. Also agree 150% with Ozzie that we really need some rapid recruiting success on the D-line ASAP. (I know we've already had some recruiting success on the O-line and am expecting improvements to show on the field with the Offensive front over the next couple of years.)

http://duke.scout.com/a.z?s=167&p=9&c=8&yr=2012

http://rivals.yahoo.com/duke/footbal...mmitments/2012

Also, from that non-conference schedule, I think we can reasonably look for at lreast three non-ACC wins (will be interesting to see how far Stanford falls with Luck's departure, and that of some other key players, such as their O-line). Obviously we'll play the same 5 in-division games in 2012. Do we know yet what 3 teams we'll likely face from the other division? Is it as simple as the three we didn't see this year - MD, NCSU, and Clemson?

ACC home games: Clemson, Miami, North Carolina, Virginia
    ACC road games: Florida State, Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-12/a...l-schedule.php

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    ACC home games: Clemson, Miami, North Carolina, Virginia
    ACC road games: Florida State, Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-12/a...l-schedule.php
    WOW - very tough acc schedule (as hard as it can be). Even with 18 returning starters, not sure where conference wins will come from.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by arnie is still king View Post
    WOW - very tough acc schedule (as hard as it can be). Even with 18 returning starters, not sure where conference wins will come from.
    Every one of those teams is at least bowl eligible this year. Hopefully we pull victories over Wake (finally) and UVA. But like you point out, there are no givens there. Either we are going to have to improve dramatically or get lucky, ala the BC win. I'd hate to think that a 2 win season is a possiblility, but it is not hard to picture it. And that's assuming we beat FIU.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Jela Duncan is the running back to whom you are referring.
    Thank you. I had kind of pushed 2012 recruiting to the deep recesses of my memory and much trouble keeping track of 20+ FB recruits, let alone 2012, 2013 (and beyond) MBB prospects.

Every one of those teams is at least bowl eligible this year. Hopefully we pull victories over Wake (finally) and UVA. But like you point out, there are no givens there. Either we are going to have to improve dramatically or get lucky, ala the BC win. I'd hate to think that a 2 win season is a possiblility, but it is not hard to picture it. And that's assuming we beat FIU.
    Not to worry. I am sure Ozzie has us penciled (inked?) in for 12 W, an ACC championship and a national championship appearance and victory.

That is a brutal schedule again. You figure NCCU, Memphis and FIU should/could be wins.Glad no Richmond but them finishing with only 3 wins this season makes that loss hurt a lot more. Stanford will be down after presumably losing Andrew Luck so you never know but major improvements need to be made on both sides of the ball for that to happen. But the ACC schedule is a tough pill to swollow. FSU, Miami, Clemson, Georgia Tech, and VA Tech are all very tough. Virginia is getting better fast and Wake and unc just own Duke. It is going to take a lot of work and some luck against some teams that Duke probably shouldn't beat. But lets focus on game No. 1 against FIU and go from there. Long time till 9/1/12 so a lot of time to get better. Lets Go Duke. Get to work fellas and lets get this ship sailing.

You're assuming a loss to Memphis?

But yes, Duke should be an underdog in every conference game next season, and a sizable one in most.

Not to worry. I am sure Ozzie has us penciled (inked?) in for 12 W, an ACC championship and a national championship appearance and victory.
    14 W's, actually, counting the Conference Championship game and the BCS bowl victory. I figure they'll cheat us out of the National Championship game, not wanting us to be men's and women's basketball and football champs at the same time.

9F 9F 9F

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    You're assuming a loss to Memphis?

But yes, Duke should be an underdog in every conference game next season, and a sizable one in most.
    Nope...forgot them. But after Richmond, I'm sure not assuming a win.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Let's do something different regarding wins and losses next year...

Hi,

Rather than thinking about whether or not the team can get bowl eligible lets just hope the team just gets better each game and practice. I think there has been too much emphasis on going to a bowl and not enough with just trying to get better. As Coach Harbaugh (of the SF 49ers) says, "Let's get a mile an hour faster..."

GO DUKE!

Quote Originally Posted by Kewlswim View Post
    Hi,

Rather than thinking about whether or not the team can get bowl eligible lets just hope the team just gets better each game and practice. I think there has been too much emphasis on going to a bowl and not enough with just trying to get better. As Coach Harbaugh (of the SF 49ers) says, "Let's get a mile an hour faster..."

GO DUKE!
    You've made a very important point. The process of turning the program around is one that isn't likely to happen in big leaps. Developing the depth and quality of depth in player personnel will take time. I wish it could be as quick as can happen in basketball, but the two sports are very different.

All-ACC FB Selections Annouced

Not sure where to put this, so this string will suffice. The All-ACC selections have been announced and Duke placed two players on them.

Duke Safety Matt Daniels takes first-teall All-ACC honors. And C.Vernon takes second-team All-ACC honors at WR. Congrats to both young men!

BTW, VaTech is pretty upset about their defense being largely ignored in these awards.

http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-footb...112811aae.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...7g8N_blog.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...Hp5N_blog.html