Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by duke09hms View Post
    Tommy Amaker and Harvard stay perfect, dominating Seattle 80-70 and leading throughout the whole game. The victory sets up a date with #10 UConn on Thursday. Crazy as it sounds, I can actually see Harvard making it through the season with possibly only 1 loss.
    At Princeton?

Quote Originally Posted by duke09hms View Post
    Johnny D and Stanford take out NC State 76-72 with a 17-1 run over the last six minutes to come back from 12 down in the 2nd half.

Tommy Amaker and Harvard stay perfect, dominating Seattle 80-70 and leading throughout the whole game. The victory sets up a date with #10 UConn on Thursday. Crazy as it sounds, I can actually see Harvard making it through the season with possibly only 1 loss.
    Uconn seems to have seen a bit of a change since boatright became eligible. I'm greatly looking forward to this weeks matchup
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    At Princeton?
    From your mouth to God's ears.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Havahd gets some love and is ranked at 24th in the Coaches poll.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Kenpom has Stanford at 15, first in the Pac-(insert number here).

Quote Originally Posted by dpslaw View Post
    Kenpom has Stanford at 15, first in the Pac-(insert number here).
    And, according to KenPom, currently out-defensing Johnny's alma mater. The Cardinal's D is ranked at 9 in the nation.

Stanford defeated UCLA 60-59 last night so The Cardinal are off to a 1-0 start in PAC 12 play. Next up is USC on Saturday afternoon.

http://espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=313630024
    Bob Green

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Stanford defeated UCLA 60-59 last night so The Cardinal are off to a 1-0 start in PAC 12 play. Next up is USC on Saturday afternoon.

http://espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=313630024
    Go, Go Johnny Go Go Go!

Very glad to see Dawkins getting it done. They do not have superior talent by any stretch, so the level he has them playing at is all the more impressive. Would love to see how well Johnny could do if he had the horses of a top 5 team.

Harvard won last night against Boston College. I wish I could see some of those games. Tommy's really got a good group of guys.

Harvard 74, St. Joseph's 69

Crimson trailed by ten at the half, and didn't take the lead until less than two minutes remained. Good, tough, confidence-inspiring win as they head into the new year.

A measure of how things are changing at Harvard: the home games against Princeton and Penn are sold out eight weeks in advance.

I am officially worried about Johnny at Stanford. After a 10-1 start, the Cardinal is now 16-8, 6-6 in the lousy Pac-12, and has lost 5 of its last 6. That's 7th place in the conference, with only one quality conference win, over Colorado.

I saw the 2nd half of the game against UCLA last night. UCLA is utterly mediocre, but they were better than Stanford. Chase Randle is a nice player, but the overall talent level of the Stanford squad is just lacking. I don't have any idea how they stayed with Syracuse earlier in the year, but in watching these guys, they were just not impressive. No chance at an NCAA bid unless they make an extremely unexpected run in the conference tournament. Not good.

HUGE game for Tommy tonight

When I saw the revival of this thread, I thought it was about tonight's game.

Harvard (6-0 in the Ivy) is at Penn (4-1) at 7 p.m. Tomorrow night they are at Princeton (a very unimpressive 2-3).

Right now, Harvard, Yale (5-1) and Penn are the only real contenders in the Ivy. Harvard crushed Yale at Yale. Win tonight and Tommy's Crimson is in great shape in the league. Lose tonight and it's a three team race.

Sorry about Johnny';s Cardinal. Stanford has played themselves out of at-large contention. The only way they can make the field is to win the Pac 12 Tournament.

Harvard wins

Harvard 56, Penn 50 -- final ... looking very good for Tommy and the Ivy title

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Harvard 56, Penn 50 -- final ... looking very good for Tommy and the Ivy title
    Princeton tomorrow night on one of the ESPN channels.

Princeton won, 70 - 62.

They stormed the court after beating Harvard. That's cute.

the ivy race

Quote Originally Posted by 94duke View Post
    Princeton won, 70 - 62.
    Tough loss for Tommy and Harvard. With a win, they really could have taken a leg up in the Ivy race. But they are still in good shape. As it stands:

Harvard 7-1
    Yale 6-2
    Penn 5-2
    Cornell 5-3
    Princeton 4-3

Considering the schedule, they're in better shape than it looks. They have Yale, Penn and Princeton all scheduled to visit Cambridge. In fact, their next four games are at home before they finish up with Columbia (which should be a gimmie) and Cornell on the road. The trick is to lock up the Ivy crown before the Cornell game.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    I am officially worried about Johnny at Stanford. After a 10-1 start, the Cardinal is now 16-8, 6-6 in the lousy Pac-12, and has lost 5 of its last 6. That's 7th place in the conference, with only one quality conference win, over Colorado.

I saw the 2nd half of the game against UCLA last night. UCLA is utterly mediocre, but they were better than Stanford. Chase Randle is a nice player, but the overall talent level of the Stanford squad is just lacking. I don't have any idea how they stayed with Syracuse earlier in the year, but in watching these guys, they were just not impressive. No chance at an NCAA bid unless they make an extremely unexpected run in the conference tournament. Not good.
    I attended tonight's Stanford game against Oregon, and it seemed to be the kind of game that can really break a team's morale. Stanford led the entire way until the last 4 minutes or so when Oregon just took the game away from them. Singler the Younger made some huge plays down the stretch.

To be honest, in this game I think Johnny's stoic demeanor cost Stanford a little bit. The referees blew some calls that would have sent K through the roof, but as far as I could tell Johnny essentially let them off the hook. I hate to say it but in basketball, the ability/willingness to work the refs from time to time is critical to building a winning program.

The other thing I noticed was that Oregon seemed to be winning a lot of the hustle plays (offensive rebounds, loose balls). I don't know enough about the talent levels of the two teams to say whether this was the result of better talent or more desire on Oregon's part. But here again I can't help but think that the results might have been different if Johnny showed a little bit more fire from the bench. I simply don't think he'll get maximum effort out of a group of 18-year-old kids without raising his voice every once in a while. (Of course, it could be that he saves that for practice...)

In any case, I really hope Johnny is given the chance to keep moving the Stanford program forward. He is on his way to a significantly improved record over last season, albeit within an extremely weak Pac 12. He's done well with recruiting despite being a long way from home. He's got a roster full of great kids.

The way the football program turned around out here under Harbaugh tells you that anything is possible. We are all pulling for you J.D.!

Quote Originally Posted by g-money View Post
    I attended tonight's Stanford game against Oregon, and it seemed to be the kind of game that can really break a team's morale. Stanford led the entire way until the last 4 minutes or so when Oregon just took the game away from them. Singler the Younger made some huge plays down the stretch.
    I'll be attending the Stanford/Colorado game Thursday night in Boulder. Yes, this is the same time as our game against FSU, but it's the best chance I have to see Johnny. If there's anything I should look for/expect, I'd be grateful to know.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    I'll be attending the Stanford/Colorado game Thursday night in Boulder. Yes, this is the same time as our game against FSU, but it's the best chance I have to see Johnny.
    Unlikely - Duke plays at 7 PM ET tomorrow.