Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 114
  1. #61
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Dillon, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Unlikely - Duke plays at 7 PM ET tomorrow.
    Confound these time zones. I thought we were the late game. CU/Stanford tips off at 8.30 here, so I should be able to catch all of our game. But I won't be on the boards to hand out bans to people who vent in the in-game thread if we get down 20.
    As suburban children we floated at night in swimming pools the temperature of blood. -- Douglas Coupland

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Skinker-DeBaliviere, Saint Louis
    Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    Confound these time zones. I thought we were the late game. CU/Stanford tips off at 8.30 here, so I should be able to catch all of our game. But I won't be on the boards to hand out bans to people who vent in the in-game thread if we get down 20.
    Oh, hamburgers! Who is on Screaming Howler Panic Monkey Patrol? I hate having to swing the hammer.

    A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert


    Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Princeton, NJ

    We didn't exactly storm the court ...

    Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    They stormed the court after beating Harvard. That's cute.
    We just went to congratulate the team. As it happens, the team was on the court at the time.

    Just sayin'

    Orange & Black Sheep

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington, DC area
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange&BlackSheep View Post
    We just went to congratulate the team. As it happens, the team was on the court at the time.

    Just sayin'

    Orange & Black Sheep
    Looks like a busy weekend for Tommy coming up. Don't really want to see you lose, but I do have a soft spot for Tommy still.

    -jk

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Looks like a busy weekend for Tommy coming up. Don't really want to see you lose, but I do have a soft spot for Tommy still.

    -jk
    I haven't forgiven Princeton for stealing Bill Bradley. And that was in 1961.

    So, go Harvard.

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Walnut Creek, California
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I haven't forgiven Princeton for stealing Bill Bradley. And that was in 1961.

    So, go Harvard.

    I'm with you, Jim.

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington, DC area
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I haven't forgiven Princeton for stealing Bill Bradley. And that was in 1961.

    So, go Harvard.
    And my mother never forgave Bill Bradley. In fact, she cursed him whenever he appeared on tv - which was remarkably often.

    -jk

  8. #68
    http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/02/...g-for-the.html

    Amaker knows about helping a program gain traction. His arrival at Duke in 1987 as a point guard allowed Johnny Dawkins - now the coach at Stanford - to move to shooting guard. The rest, as they say, is unfortunate for anyone who hates Duke's basketball program.

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Steamboat Springs, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by WakeDevil View Post
    http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/02/...g-for-the.html

    Amaker knows about helping a program gain traction. His arrival at Duke in 1987 as a point guard allowed Johnny Dawkins - now the coach at Stanford - to move to shooting guard. The rest, as they say, is unfortunate for anyone who hates Duke's basketball program.
    Good point. One nit -- Tommy was Class of 1987. He arrived at Duke for the 1983-1984 season.

    sage

  10. #70
    Barry just informed me that I'm behind about two hundred other Duke fans in alerting him to his mistake. He should be happy he's getting read.

  11. #71
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I haven't forgiven Princeton for stealing Bill Bradley. And that was in 1961.

    So, go Harvard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    I'm with you, Jim.
    Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    And my mother never forgave Bill Bradley. In fact, she cursed him whenever he appeared on tv - which was remarkably often.

    -jk
    Wow, you gentlemen need to let this one go. It has been 50+ years and Bill Bradley is not coming to Duke to play hoops. I hope we are not holding grudges like this in 2062 against Georgetown, Kin-tucky, Michigan and unc because Greg Monroe, Patrick Patterson, Mitch McGary and the Black Pigeon did not play MBB at Duke.















    (I'm not really serious with the above comments. Just wanted to poke a wee bit of fun at Jim, Jim and -jk 11.gif.)
    Not leaving until the game is over.

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington, DC area
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Wow, you gentlemen need to let this one go. It has been 50+ years and Bill Bradley is not coming to Duke to play hoops. I hope we are not holding grudges like this in 2062 against Georgetown, Kin-tucky, Michigan and unc because Greg Monroe, Patrick Patterson, Mitch McGary and the Black Pigeon did not play MBB at Duke.















    (I'm not really serious with the above comments. Just wanted to poke a wee bit of fun at Jim, Jim and -jk 11.gif.)
    The Bradley story is much more than just picking a different school. He committed and at the very last moment reneged. Too late to sign the backup prospect - who really wanted to come to Duke.

    I'm sure Jim can fill in the details (he's told the story several times).

    -jk

  13. #73
    Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    The Bradley story is much more than just picking a different school. He committed and at the very last moment reneged. Too late to sign the backup prospect - who really wanted to come to Duke.

    I'm sure Jim can fill in the details (he's told the story several times).

    -jk
    It is not only that Bradley didn't come to Duke. He was to take the scholarship we would have used for Fred Hetzel - who then went to Davidson and, with Terry Holland, led that Lefty coached team to prominence. We took a double whammy on that deal.

  14. #74
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    New York, NY
    Harvard and Princeton going down to the wire again. Tigers ball, down 3, 1:30 to play.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

    You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

    You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

  15. #75
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington, DC area
    And Tommy for the win 67-64.

    -jk

  16. #76
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    New York, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    And Tommy for the win 67-64.

    -jk
    Does the Ivy use any tiebreaker (specifically, head-to-head record) if there's a tie for first? If so, Harvard can clinch the league title with a win over Penn tomorrow. If not, it will need one more win next week to wrap it up.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

    You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

    You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

  17. #77
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northern VA
    Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Does the Ivy use any tiebreaker (specifically, head-to-head record) if there's a tie for first? If so, Harvard can clinch the league title with a win over Penn tomorrow. If not, it will need one more win next week to wrap it up.
    'don't know all of the Ivy rules, but last year Harvard and Princeton finished the season tied, and played a 1 game playoff for the NCAA birth on a neutral court, I think, at Yale. Princeton won at the buzzer. I don't think the Ivy is going to need a tie-breaker this year, as Harvard look to be the cream of the crop.

    Tonight they finally went ahead with under 7 minutes to go, made a bunch of FT's down the stretch, and withstood Princeton by 3 in the end. They host Penn tomorrow I believe.

    From the Gametracker it looks like their Defense carried them today, with the Tigers going long stretches w/o a score.
    -BDBD

  18. #78
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Steamboat Springs, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by -bdbd View Post
    'don't know all of the Ivy rules, but last year Harvard and Princeton finished the season tied, and played a 1 game playoff for the NCAA birth on a neutral court, I think, at Yale. Princeton won at the buzzer. I don't think the Ivy is going to need a tie-breaker this year, as Harvard look to be the cream of the crop.

    Tonight they finally went ahead with under 7 minutes to go, made a bunch of FT's down the stretch, and withstood Princeton by 3 in the end. They host Penn tomorrow I believe.

    From the Gametracker it looks like their Defense carried them today, with the Tigers going long stretches w/o a score.
    Harvard and Princeton were both recognized as champions in 2011, but Princeton got the automatic bid. -- sage

  19. #79
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    New York, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by -bdbd View Post
    'don't know all of the Ivy rules, but last year Harvard and Princeton finished the season tied, and played a 1 game playoff for the NCAA birth on a neutral court, I think, at Yale. Princeton won at the buzzer. I don't think the Ivy is going to need a tie-breaker this year, as Harvard look to be the cream of the crop.

    Tonight they finally went ahead with under 7 minutes to go, made a bunch of FT's down the stretch, and withstood Princeton by 3 in the end. They host Penn tomorrow I believe.

    From the Gametracker it looks like their Defense carried them today, with the Tigers going long stretches w/o a score.
    Right, but last year Harvard and Princeton split in the regular season. If Harvard wins tomorrow, each of the following things will be true:

    Harvard could finish no worse than 11-3.
    No other Ivy League team could finish any better than 11-3.
    The only other teams that could finish 11-3 are Yale and Penn.
    Harvard will have swept the season series with both Yale and Penn.

    In that circumstance, would Harvard have to beat Yale and/or Penn again to get into the tourney, or will the fact that it would have an undefeated head-to-head against any team that would be tied with it atop the standings grant Harvard the bid via tiebreaker?

    Of course, all this assumes Harvard wins tomorrow. If not, it gets a little interesting, since then both Harvard and Penn would have only 2 losses (and Yale, with 3, would still be lurking).
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

    You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

    You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

  20. #80
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    The Bradley story is much more than just picking a different school. He committed and at the very last moment reneged. Too late to sign the backup prospect - who really wanted to come to Duke.

    I'm sure Jim can fill in the details (he's told the story several times).

    -jk
    Oh, I remember the story from it being told several times here over the last 10+ years. IIRC, Bubas was expecting Bradley to show up on the 1st day of school and he apparently just decided not to come to Duke and go to Princeton at the last possible moment. Did he even let Bubas know or simply not show up? I was really only trying to have a bit of fun with an old, old recruiting story, much as we do now with the many prospects we discuss here annually.

    I was also rooting for Tommy today.
    Not leaving until the game is over.

Similar Threads

  1. Props for Amaker's Crimson Squad
    By sagegrouse in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-06-2011, 04:29 PM
  2. Amaker's Crimson ready to dominate
    By BD80 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-14-2011, 12:33 PM
  3. Harvard leading Michigan, Go Tommy!
    By ikiru36 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-01-2007, 09:14 PM
  4. Tommy Amaker to Harvard
    By davec in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 04-11-2007, 03:49 PM
  5. Tommy out at UM
    By dukemsu in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 03-18-2007, 11:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •