Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Ryan Kelly's emerging awesomeness

Last year, I made several posts about how good Kelly was going to be and how important he would be...well, i got smoked by a few of you for it...was even accused of being his mother....i will now accept any apoligizies due...LOL !!!!...HE'S A DIFFERENCE MAKER.....

Reminded me of Singler tonight.

played great the whole tournament. makes good decisions, and does what it takes to win. big asset to the team.

Kid is playing with supreme confidence right now. Emerging as the leader of the team.

smart too....he is one smart basketball player.....

I really like his pairing with Mason. The two have such complementary skill sets. When they're in there, I usually feel good about things, as they don't need a playmaker to set them up.

Smart

Quote Originally Posted by stixof96 View Post
    smart too....he is one smart basketball player.....

Smart is the word that comes to my mind first when talking about Ryan. Really neat to see the development he has made.

Kelly, smarts, leadership, and Miles Davis

It is great to see Ryan develop more and more each game. Yes, he is "smart," but is becoming/is a leader in the making. You could see it in his eyes last night after he made a big defensive or offensive move and then looked around for something more he could do. He was determined to win; he blocked, he guarded tough, he shot, he rebounded, and he wanted 'more."

As for the team, well.......

To quote Miles Davis after an incredible solo by Kenny Garrett, "hell, we do that every night!"
    Last edited by dukepsy1963; 11-24-2011 at 09:38 AM. Reason: Kelly's name missplled

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I really like his pairing with Mason. The two have such complementary skill sets. When they're in there, I usually feel good about things, as they don't need a playmaker to set them up.
    Excellent point, and they make a great 4-5 combo. RK isn't afraid to get in the lane, defend a power forward, and rebound, but he's so good at operating 20-25 feet from the basket. That pulls the opposing team's 4 out and opens up the lane for Mason and Miles, which makes them much more effective. It's taken a couple years to see it develop, but the Mason/Ryan recruiting combo is an absolute gem.

Nice combo: brain & brawn

Quote Originally Posted by wsb3 View Post

Smart is the word that comes to my mind first when talking about Ryan. Really neat to see the development he has made.
    Agreed. I've been an admirer of Ryan along the way, since he is a "local boy" and his work ethic et al have frequently been reported in the area media. Before the team even arrived in Maui, I felt that the play of Ryan this season would be instrumental in determining whatever direction the team took.

While his skill sets are different due to his size, I compare him a lot to Jim Spanarkel whose basketball skills were only enhanced by how well he understood the game, and his teammates, and how he frequently just "out-smarted" the opposition.

k

While his skill sets are different due to his size, I compare him a lot to Jim Spanarkel whose basketball skills were only enhanced by how well he understood the game, and his teammates, and how he frequently just "out-smarted" the opposition.
    Good comparison. Neither was very quick or a good leaper, but they were both very smart and very coordinated. That's the part about
    RK that's impressing me also. He's really learning all the things he can do with that 6-11 body, and since he has excellent body
    control, he's finding out he can do like, a whole lot. Can't wait to see how much better he gets. I'd say he's about better now than
    Ferry was as a sophomore, and he still has plenty of upside.

Ryan may not be quick enough to be a difference-maker in the NBA, but his overall game screams "Euroleague All-Star."

Keep shooting Ryan!

Ryan's whole game has improved this year over last, I believe, and I have a lot of confidence in him to take his shot! I have loved watching his hustle on the defensive end and in the lane, but mostly, I see that he's improved on his high-post game; he's giving some solid lower post entry passes from his receipt of the ball when he's in the high post, and he's much more valuable to us because of it! We are going to continue to need him to step it up and work that high/low, and to take his shots! Great game tonight and he is my MVP!

dukestheheat.

Do you think it is crazy to ponder the idea of Ryan Kelly averaging 15 points and 7 rebounds a game? I certainly don't think so. He can easily put up bigger numbers than that. I know he is more than capable of it. On a lesser team i see him as a 20ppg and 10rpg guy easily. It would be so nice to see him surplant one of UNC's frontline guys as a first or second team all ACC performer. Keep it up Ryan. You are the man.

Retire kelly?

Is it too early to start a "retire ryan kelly vigil" thread?
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    Is it too early to start a "retire ryan kelly vigil" thread?
    I hope you mean his number, as I am hoping he will be playing awhile.
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    I hope you mean his number, as I am hoping he will be playing awhile.
    Nah definitely retire ryan kelly...we get it...he's good...he's had his fun...but its getting old with him scoring 15+ every game...now its time to give someone else a chance, like marshall
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by jamesfrommaiden View Post
    Do you think it is crazy to ponder the idea of Ryan Kelly averaging 15 points and 7 rebounds a game? I certainly don't think so. He can easily put up bigger numbers than that. I know he is more than capable of it. On a lesser team i see him as a 20ppg and 10rpg guy easily. It would be so nice to see him surplant one of UNC's frontline guys as a first or second team all ACC performer. Keep it up Ryan. You are the man.
    I certainly don't think 15 ppg is unreasonable. The 7 rpg part might be optimistic, though. He's averaging 4.6 rpg, and has a per 40 minutes rate of 6.4. Part of that is because the Plumlees are rebounding at a higher rate (over 13 rebounds per 40 minutes for each). But that will probably keep Kelly from getting to 7 rpg.

I don't think 20 and 10 "easily" is reasonable. Even on a bad team, that'd be really hard to do.

Unfortunately, I don't see Kelly getting past Henson or Zeller on the All-ACC list. Barring injury, I think those guys are just going to get too high a volume of opportunities (and of course they're really good too) to not outproduce Kelly.

I could certainly see a 2nd/3rd team honor for Kelly though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimist View Post
    Agreed. I've been an admirer of Ryan along the way, since he is a "local boy" and his work ethic et al have frequently been reported in the area media. Before the team even arrived in Maui, I felt that the play of Ryan this season would be instrumental in determining whatever direction the team took.

k
    Quote Originally Posted by hq2 View Post
    Good comparison. Neither was very quick or a good leaper, but they were both very smart and very coordinated. That's the part about
    RK that's impressing me also. He's really learning all the things he can do with that 6-11 body, and since he has excellent body
    control, he's finding out he can do like, a whole lot. Can't wait to see how much better he gets. I'd say he's about better now than
    Ferry was as a sophomore, and he still has plenty of upside.
    So you're suggesting that Kelly "Spanarkel's" opponents! That term, Spanarkeling, was coined by a local sports writer during Jimmy's junior year (I think), when he became enamored by how thoroughly he out hustled, out positioned, out thought and out smarted opponents by a player who wasn't all that athletic quick or slick, but got the job done exquisitely!

And if next year there is talk about retiring #34, it's got to be a double ceremony, including Spanarkel!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post

And if next year there is talk about retiring #34...
    Don't even start with that.