Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bad news: Nelson hurts left hand at Pan Am Trials

According to Andy Katz:

Duke senior guard DeMarcus Nelson injured his left hand during the U.S. Pan Am Trials Thursday night and will be sent back to Durham, N.C., Saturday for further evaluation, multiple USA Basketball officials told ESPN.com Friday night.

USA Basketball spokesman Craig Miller said he couldn't confirm the extent of the injury. Nelson was X-rayed Friday afternoon after trying to play in the morning practice. Whether or not Nelson broke his hand wasn't known as of Friday night. He didn't participate in the evening session and a determination was made that he would return to Duke for further testing and an official diagnosis.

Oh man... the saga continues...

Everyone who reads this board knows that I am a big DeMarcus Nelson fan. I am praying hard that this hand injury is minor. We need DeMarcus' experience, leadership, and tenacious attitude on the court influencing the flow of the game.

His junior season has been his only healthy season and he responded by leading the team in scoring and being named Co-MVP. I have great expectations for DeMarcus and Duke this year!

Bob Green
    Yokosuka, Japan
    Last edited by Bob Green; 07-14-2007 at 02:31 AM.

I hope DeMarcus' injury is minor, but if it's worse than feared, it could be a good chance to develop depth on the wings with many of our players.

A bad scenario would have him missing half the season, which would allow guys like Smith, Pocious, Scheyer, Henderson, and even McClure to get extra minutes. By the time Nelson gets back, we could have a stronger team. In theory.

Just putting a bit of a positive spin on it, hopefully it's something he bounces back from much sooner than later.

Silver lining

Demarcus can spend the whole summer now working on...free throws. Get better soon!

Just be happy that it is his left-hand.....

Quote Originally Posted by RockChalk View Post
    Just be happy that it is his left-hand.....
    Who knew that Markie even had a left hand!!!

-Jason "just kidding get well soon!!" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Who knew that Markie even had a left hand!!!

-Jason "just kidding get well soon!!" Evans
    I knew it was there - one time I saw it attached below his left wrist!

Wrap them in Nerf

That's it. No more practice for this team. No more pick-up. At this rate, everyone will be in a cast by September. I say wrap the entire team in Nerf suits and don't open until December. The rust will wear off in the first few games....

Quote Originally Posted by DukeWarhead View Post
    That's it. No more practice for this team. No more pick-up. At this rate, everyone will be in a cast by September. I say wrap the entire team in Nerf suits and don't open until December. The rust will wear off in the first few games....
    I don't know, are you sure its safe for them to actually play in the games?

Quote Originally Posted by shadowfax336 View Post
    I don't know, are you sure its safe for them to actually play in the games?
    potd

i hate life right now...

Freshman Year

Nelson hurt his right hand freshman year correct? And this injury is the left?

The guy is a warrior and I love him, but I often wonder if his style of play (lots of contact for a 6-4 guy inside) causes him to taken a real beating and raises his injury risk

Nelson needs to be ready Day 1 of practice to set the tone

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Dukie View Post
    The guy is a warrior and I love him, but I often wonder if his style of play (lots of contact for a 6-4 guy inside) causes him to taken a real beating and raises his injury risk
    This is an interesting comment to me. Since his freshman year, there were many comments that he indeed was "fearless", and had no problems going inside and banging with the "bigs". But, he seems to be such a well-conditioned and well-prepared athlete... so I'm not sure if this is really the reason for his injuries over the years. Maybe just "bad luck"... if so, I hope he's had his share, and his senior year will be simply great.

PAN AM Finalists

Here's who CSTV and ESPN predict/pre-announe but they acknowledge Nelson would have been in the mix.

http://slog.cstv.com/hangtime/

"Here's a look at the Hang Time 12-man roster with the first five players listed as our expected starting five. After that list is the list we compiled on Thursday night for comparison's sake. NOTE: The addition of Jon Brockman to our final list is almost solely based on his Saturday performance where he really opened some eyes, including those of Wright:

Drew Neitzel (Michigan State)
    Wayne Ellington (UNC)
    Joey Dorsey (Memphis)
    Roy Hibbert (Georgetown)
    DJ White (Indiana)
    Eric Maynor (VCU)
    Tasmin Mitchell (LSU)
    Alonzo Gee (Alabama)
    Jon Brockman (Washington)
    Mario Chalmers (Kansas)
    Shan Foster (Vanderbilt)
    Scottie Reynolds (Villanova)

THURSDAY NIGHT LIST (Dropped players in bold)
    Roy Hibbert (Georgetown)
    Dominic James (Marquette)
    Drew Neitzel (Michigan State)
    Eric Maynor (VCU)
    Wayne Ellington (UNC)
    Randal Falker (SIU)
    Alonzo Gee (Alabama)
    James Gist (Maryland)
    DeMarcus Nelson (Duke) INJURED, WITHDRAWN
    Joey Dorsey (Memphis)
    DJ White (Indiana)
    Jerel McNeal (Marquette)

. . . We'll be back as soon as we can confirm the roster but no later than Sunday morning when the team is announced."

Posted on 7/15 12:35 AM | IP: Logged

dizukies88
    Post #504
    MyFanPage
    Add Buddy Re: Demarcus Nelson Hurt Reply

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    boogieman........aint that the truth!!!!

Posted on 7/15 1:33 AM | IP: Logged

ACC Bball Fan
    Cameron Crazy
    Post #1005
    Inverness, FL
    MyFanPage
    Find Buddy Re: Demarcus Nelson Hurt Edit | Reply

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Though these guys claim to be sworn to secrecy, the only question they leave is the 4th PAC10 and which SEC member.

http://slog.cstv.com/hangtime/

Sunday, 07/15/07.

Pan Am Trials: Sneak Peek at Some of the 14.

After a 9:30 p.m. EST meeting on Saturday night the Pan Am games roster of 14 - which will need to be cut to 12 over the next few days - was revelaed to the 29 remaining camp participants..

While Hang Time has been sworn to secrecy on the list of 14, we can confirm that Georgetown's Roy Hibbert, Memphis's Joey Dorsey, VCU's Eric Maynor and Oregon's Maarty Leunen are among the dozen-plus-two chosen by the collegiate selection committee chaired by Jim Boeheim..

The official list will be announced on Sunday morning and we can reveal that the Pac 10 - quite surprisingly - leads the conferences with four picks among the 14. (Leunen, and presumably two Washington State guys Kyle Weaver and Derrick Low and one other P10 Bruce Taylot according to both CSTV and ESPN, but not Brockman) The Big East (Hibbert and presumably Scottie Reynolds) is represented by two players as are the ACC (presumably Ellington, and Gist, but not Costner) and the Big Ten ( Neitzel and DJ White). Big 12 (presumably Mario Chalmers but ESPN says A&M's Josh Carter), Conference USA (Dorsey), the SEC 12 (presumably either Vandy’s Foster, not Bama’s Gee or LSU’s Mitchell according to ESPN) and the Colonial Athletic Conference (Maynor) each got one selection on the team that will compete in the Pan American games in Rio De Janiero, Brazil.

The official list from USA Basketball will be released on Sunday morning, probably around 9 a.m.

. . . Maynor will still need to make the final cut and he is one of an overloaded group of five guards, but the fact he made the list of 14 is a tribute to just how good this kid is. Jim Boeheim fell inlove with him, much the way the whole committee fell in love with the "international style player," Leunen from Oregon.

. . .. . . Once you see the list, this will make more sense, but our last two cuts, based on the three days of camp alone, would be Scottie Reynolds (Villanova) and one of the Washington State guys - take your pick.

We're not suggesting that Falker was cheated by not gaining a spot, but we are saying if we have a 12-man college team and we're able to get Falker on the roster, we're using a spot for him. And Jon Brockman makes two."

Also, according to ESPN:.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2937067.

And they were, according to multiple sources: Roy Hibbert (Georgetown), Wayne Ellington (North Carolina), Shan Foster (Vanderbilt), Kyle Weaver and Derrick Low (Washington State), Eric Maynor (VCU), Bryce Taylor and Maarty Leunen (Oregon), Josh Carter (Texas A&M), D.J. White (Indiana), Drew Neitzel (Michigan State), Scottie Reynolds (Villanova), James Gist (Maryland) and Joey Dorsey (Memphis).

Finally, USA Today confirmed ESPN Team USA Pan Am roster and has audio from each finalist, plus coach Wright and Boeheim

http://www.usabasketball.com/news.ph...mpag_finalists

Ellington (2006 Nike Hoop Summit, 2005 Youth Development Festival Blue Team); Leunen (2003 Youth Development Festival West Team); Reynolds (2005 Youth Development Festival White Team); Taylor (2003 Youth Development Festival West Team); and White (2004 Nike Hoop Summit and 2003 Youth Development Festival South Team) all possess previous USA Basketball experience.

Of the roster of finalists features 10 players who will be seniors in 2007-08, two who will be juniors (Carter and Maynor) and two who will be sophomores in 2007-08. (Ellington and Reynolds)
    Last edited by ACCBBallFan; 07-15-2007 at 02:45 PM. Reason: ESPN and USA Today confirm finalists

Nelson broken wrist

Confirmed on fox out 4-6 weeks

Definitely could be worse. I'm personally not that worried because even in a worst-case scenario, he's back by the end of August. It's also not as scary as Zoubek's injury in that the wing is our deepest position. Nevertheless, here's to a speedy recovery for Demarcus...

4-6 weeks

Does 4-6 weeks seem pretty fast for a broken bone in the wrist to heal, or is that typical for a broken wrist?

Seriously. Your guys seem made of glass lately.

Hope everyone recovers fully.

As long as K is healthy, i ain't worried. You shouldn't be either.
    The University of North Carolina
    Where CHEATING is a Way of Life

Typical

Quote Originally Posted by Fish80 View Post
    Does 4-6 weeks seem pretty fast for a broken bone in the wrist to heal, or is that typical for a broken wrist?
    I broke my wrist a few years ago (here's some good advice - don't slide head first into home) and it was a non-displaced fracture - the best kind of break. I was in a cast for four and a half weeks and a week later I was playing baseball again.

Assuming this is a non-displaced or slightly displaced fracture, that's what I would expect.