Thread: Newbie

New to the board & wanted to introduce myself. Actually joined the board last year just in time for Duke to be knocked out of the tourney by Arizona. If you think that was bad for you, I live in Tucson. Ugh. I put up with some serious grief after that one.

Even though I grew up in Nebraska, been a Blue Devil fan since 78 (yeah, I'm old, I was 12 then) when Duke lost to Kentucky in the title game. Not sure what the initial attraction was for me, but I consider myself lucky to have gotten on the train way back then.

I've enjoyed watching the guys this year so far. You can tell they're still learning to play together, but it's farther along than I thought it would be at this point.

Looking forward to another great season & talking hoops with you all. GO DUKE!

welcome to the board dude!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DesertDevil View Post
    New to the board & wanted to introduce myself. Actually joined the board last year just in time for Duke to be knocked out of the tourney by Arizona. If you think that was bad for you, I live in Tucson. Ugh. I put up with some serious grief after that one.

GO DUKE!

Don't feel you are alone. There are several Tucson-connected DBR denizens--some of us with UofA degrees of one kind or another (usually post-grad). In fact, one of the DBR founders did grad skool work at UofA. So it's all good. You can even pull for the Wildcats (Bear Down!) except when they encounter the Blue Devils. We won't mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    Don't feel you are alone. There are several Tucson-connected DBR denizens--some of us with UofA degrees of one kind or another (usually post-grad). In fact, one of the DBR founders did grad skool work at UofA. So it's all good. You can even pull for the Wildcats (Bear Down!) except when they encounter the Blue Devils. We won't mind.

Thanks. Good to know I'm not alone here in the Old Pueblo. The fan base makes it impossible for me to pull for U of A in anything. I've never encountered a more boorish/less knowledeable fan base. I will enjoy seeing them drop out of the top 25 this week. Yes, I realize that's very petty on my part.

Welcome. If you've been lurking you probably know the ropes already (although the handy guide pinned to the top of the page is good for everyone to peruse once in awhile).

Look forward to a good season and interesting discussions.

-- OPK

Welcome. You're not old. I went to the '78 title game in St. L. almost two years after graduation and I'm not old!

I assume you know what 9F means, ESPECIALLY this week!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor

Even though I grew up in Nebraska, been a Blue Devil fan since 78 (yeah, I'm old, I was 12 then) when Duke lost to Kentucky in the title game. Not sure what the initial attraction was for me, but I consider myself lucky to have gotten on the train way back then.

I've enjoyed watching the guys this year so far. You can tell they're still learning to play together, but it's farther along than I thought it would be at this point.

Looking forward to another great season & talking hoops with you all. GO DUKE!
    Welcome to the board! I was also 12 in 78 so you are not old dude! We are just hitting our stride!

(Goose Givens... sigh)

Finally found where the weather suits my clothes – and settled down in Brentwood, CA

Pshaw! You young whippersnapper! You aren't even close to being old on this board!

Compared to many others here, I'm a relative youngster and I graduated from Duke in '71 with the likes of Randy Denton, Dick DeVenzio (see my avatar) and Rick Katherman (aka "The Manchester Rifle"). You've probably never even heard of them...but they were just a few of the many who have toiled to make Duke basketball what is has become today. Why, I'm even young enough to have recently hiked to the bottom of that little hole in the ground at the other end of your state (which some people call the Grand Canyon) and out in two days...

As you journey through the seasons with us you will gain wisdom and knowledge. You will experience many joys and few sorrows. There are many more here who can guide you in the ways of Duke basketball and the DBR, my son. Learn from them and they will guide you through the challenges of seasonal ups and downs to the greatness of Duke basketball. Welcome!

Grey Devil