View Poll Results: Who was Man of the Match in Duke's 68-61 victory over Kansas in the Maui Classic

Voters
173. You may not vote on this poll
  • Seth Curry

    0 0%
  • Austin Rivers

    0 0%
  • Andre Dawkins

    1 0.58%
  • Mason Plumlee

    99 57.23%
  • Ryan Kelly

    14 8.09%
  • Miles Plumlee

    2 1.16%
  • Tyler Thornton

    57 32.95%
  • Quinn Cook

    0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 35 of 35
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Brevard

    Ryan

    Just had to vote for Kelly because he played everything well tonight. He was everywhere. Don't get me wrong, I can think of three others that deserved it as well. But tonight, mine goes to Ryan.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Portland, OR
    How man times can I hear K call Mason a "man" in the post-game interview and not think he's the MOTM? Just a great performance down the stretch. Even his turnover (the charge) was a questionable call. He was huge for Duke inside tonight.

    Tyler made the play of the game. Maybe Duke doesn't win the game without his big plays, but I think we'll be saying that a lot this year (about various players). This Duke team has so many weapons and they're all rapidly gaining confidence. It'll be fun.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Carrboro, NC
    I just got all emotional with this poll and voted for Tyler. I love the guy and it does me good to see him make big plays.

    Side note: Which was more miraculous: Tyler's threes or Mason's free throws?

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Koach called it after the game. Mason was "a man" tonight. Heck he was THE MAN!

    p.s. - thanks TT, great shot

  5. #25

    Mason with honorable mention to Ryan and Tyler

    Metrics +/- Total STARTERS
    63 14 77 Mason Plumlee, F

    59 +6 65 Ryan Kelly, F

    46 +8 54 Seth Curry, G

    39 +3 42 Andre Dawkins, G
    30 12 42 Tyler Thornton, G

    36 -4 32 Austin Rivers, G

    09 -6 3 Miles Plumlee, F
    01 +2 3 Quinn Cook, G

    Metrics is sum of all the positive stats less turnovers less fouls

    On +/- detail:

    Duke KU +/- +/min -/min +/- /min Minutes Duke Player

    64 50 14 1.7 1.4 0.4 36.6 Mason

    37 25 12 1.8 1.2 0.6 20.9 Tyler

    60 52 +8 1.7 1.5 0.2 35.4 Seth

    59 53 +6 1.7 1.6 0.1 34.2 Ryan

    60 57 +3 1.8 1.7 0.1 34.3 Dre
    02 00 +2 1.3 0.0 1.3 01.6 Quinn

    45 49 (4) 1.6 1.7 (0.1) 28.0 Austin

    13 19 (6) 1.4 2.1 (0.7) 09.1 Miles

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northern VA
    Mason Plumlee.

    Coach K said it himself - Mason was the MVP of the championship game!

    About time too, as I have been waiting for folks to notice more of the little things he's doing on the interior for us. Without Mason where is our post game??? It is great to see him blossoming and having such an impact this season.
    -BDBD

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Near Cameron & Wallace Wade Stadium
    Quote Originally Posted by NYBri View Post
    Also, Kelly's game reminded me of Kyle tonight. Never has before, but the way he was slashing, driving, spotting up...very Singleresque.
    Very Singleresque! Great "ism". Mason was channeling his "Zoubs" and breaking out like Zou did in the Duke/Maryland game in Cameron 2010. Making big plays and hitting free throws, and Manning up .... I agree with all the comments Coach K did in interview with Jay Bilas, also. Mason had a very balanced game.

    The emotion Coach K had for Tyler was so worthy of a deserving kid. Big game plays for TT! This is a good team, and they will get better and better.

    Duke owns Maui! These 3 days of games have been like a long Final 4, but with back to back games. Very intense and physical, and loved Bilas comments about Duke! So impressed with this team and they seem to gel in Maui. Safe travels for the team as they fly back to Durham.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Winston Salem, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilWearsPrada View Post
    Very Singleresque! Great "ism". Mason was channeling his "Zoubs" and breaking out like Zou did in the Duke/Maryland game in Cameron 2010. Making big plays and hitting free throws, and Manning up .... I agree with all the comments Coach K did in interview with Jay Bilas, also. Mason had a very balanced game.

    The emotion Coach K had for Tyler was so worthy of a deserving kid. Big game plays for TT! This is a good team, and they will get better and better. Duke owns Maui! These 3 days of games have been like a long Final 4, but with back to back games. Very intense and physical, and loved Bilas comments about Duke! So impressed with this team and they seem to gel in Maui. Safe travels for the team as they fly back to Durham.
    I thought the same thing as I watched Coach K talk about Tyler. What a great moment for this great young man. I guess I voted for him on emotion, and who knows if Tyler will ever have a bigger Duke moment. Well he could hit a couple of big shots in the FF for Duke's 5th championship. GoDuke!

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Ryan and Mason were both outstanding. But what is the first thing anyone will remember about this game?

    I voted for Tyler.



    (And I hope we do not start having a separate poll for man of the moment. Part of the fun is trying to weigh the two. On a different night, I may have voted for Ryan or Mason even though someone hit a big shot. Tyler's shots, however, were WAY off the chart crazy drama good).
    Twerp-free since July 1, 2014.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Lompoc, West Carolina
    Mason's defense has been quite steady.
    RK's game is really good.
    I voted for Thornton because..how many more times this season, will we get to see him rise to that occasion? I hope that there aren't that many more that will come down so close that they require such dramatic shots. But, when it happens, I feel you must pass along all the accolades that go with it.

    And, just because...9F!

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by captmojo View Post
    Mason's defense has been quite steady.
    RK's game is really good.
    I voted for Thornton because..how many more times this season, will we get to see him rise to that occasion? I hope that there aren't that many more that will come down so close that they require such dramatic shots. But, when it happens, I feel you must pass along all the accolades that go with it.

    And, just because...9F!
    Dad, get to making with the Turkey day grub...... Amazing how we both vote for Thornton--is it genetics?

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Lompoc, West Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by Son of Mojo View Post
    Dad, get to making with the Turkey day grub...... Amazing how we both vote for Thornton--is it genetics?
    You possess all the traits of proper breeding.
    And, she's got your turkey!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_Qig...eature=related

  13. #33
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
    I think that we're getting used to the steadiness of Ryan Kelly - solid everywhere, scoring, (much improved) defense, good passing, enough rebounding. I'm guessing that at some point in a couple of years we'll (collectively) realize just how good he is.
    Quote Originally Posted by NYBri View Post
    Also, Kelly's game reminded me of Kyle tonight. Never has before, but the way he was slashing, driving, spotting up...very Singleresque.
    I was thinking about a Singler comparison as well--the guy who just does whatever needs to be done. Kyle was heralded from the beginning, so much so that when his shooting fell off a bit last year some (including, apparently, NBA scouts) considered him disappointing, even though he was still making major contributions everywhere else on the floor. Ryan, on the other hand, is starting to take people by surprise a little bit because he hasn't always been expected to be this good.

  14. #34
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Triad, NC

    MP2

    Because in K I trust, and he said so. Definitely agree though. Ryan Kelly should be 1a in this voting. And of course without Thornton's awesome 3s who knows what would have happened.

  15. #35
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    I thought the same thing as I watched Coach K talk about Tyler. What a great moment for this great young man. I guess I voted for him on emotion, and who knows if Tyler will ever have a bigger Duke moment. Well he could hit a couple of big shots in the FF for Duke's 5th championship. GoDuke!
    Quote Originally Posted by captmojo View Post
    Mason's defense has been quite steady.
    RK's game is really good.
    I voted for Thornton because..how many more times this season, will we get to see him rise to that occasion? I hope that there aren't that many more that will come down so close that they require such dramatic shots. But, when it happens, I feel you must pass along all the accolades that go with it.

    And, just because...9F!
    I picked Mason, in part due to being influenced by coach K in his post game comments, but agree with OPK and others that another day I could have voted for TT or RK.

    The way Thornton's early career has been going, I have a feeling that there will be lots of other opportunities for him to come through in the clutch. He has certainly been a huge factor in a number of Duke wins in his short career.
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”

Similar Threads

  1. MOTM - Duke vs. UVA (Feb. 16, 2011)
    By JBDuke in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-17-2011, 02:35 PM
  2. MOTM: Duke vs. UNC (Feb 9, 2011)
    By JBDuke in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 02-11-2011, 09:53 AM
  3. MOTM: Duke vs. BC (Jan 27, 2011)
    By JBDuke in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 01-28-2011, 10:33 PM
  4. MOTM: Duke vs. UVA (Jan 15, 2011)
    By JBDuke in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 01-16-2011, 03:37 PM
  5. MOTM: Duke vs Kansas State (Nov. 23, 2010)
    By Bob Green in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 11-24-2010, 02:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •