View Poll Results: Who was Man of the Match in Duke's 68-61 victory over Kansas in the Maui Classic

Voters
173. You may not vote on this poll
  • Seth Curry

0 0%
  • Austin Rivers

0 0%
  • Andre Dawkins

1 0.58%
  • Mason Plumlee

99 57.23%
  • Ryan Kelly

14 8.09%
  • Miles Plumlee

2 1.16%
  • Tyler Thornton

57 32.95%
  • Quinn Cook

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.

MOTM: Duke vs. Kansas (Nov 24, 2011)

Who was Man of the Match in Duke's 68-61 victory over Kansas in the Maui Classic Championship?
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Mason was a beast and hit 7 of 9 free throws plus played really good defense down the stretch. Ryan played well, did all the little things right.

But Tyler....way to step up to the moment! Went with the little guy on this one...

Kelly was a deserving MVP for the tournament, Tyler's shots were epic, Dawkins hit a clutch 3...

...but Mason played great defense on Thomas Robinson, grabbed boards, altered shots, and hit free throws down the stretch. This was quite a game for Mason.

TT. His winning shots clinched it, but his crunch time minutes (with AR on the bench with foul trouble) earned it.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

A part of me wanted to vote for Thornton for a great game. But Mason was an absolute beast tonight. He matched, if not outright outplayed, one of the best big men in the country tonight. And he hit 7 of 9 free throws!

I think that we will have a difficult time picking the MOTM all year, since we have so many people to step up. I voted for Mason, but I was surprised that (so far) nobody voted for Kelly.

Mason. Not until the last 10 minutes, but then he played his butt off. He was "a man."
    Quel est si drole de la paix, de l'amour, et de la comprehension?

Coach K called Mason the MVP for this game. Who am I to argue with him? MP2 had a stellar game. RK is a close second; he was a very deserving selection for tourney MVP. Special shout-out to TT for great D and clutch shooting.

Emotionally, I wanted to give it to Tyler, but I had to give it to Mason. Coach K summed it up better than I can. "Mason showed his team tonight that they were out there with a man."
    Last edited by jacone21; 11-24-2011 at 12:40 AM. Reason: typo

Can I vote for Tyshawn Taylor?

Quote Originally Posted by mgtr View Post
    I think that we will have a difficult time picking the MOTM all year, since we have so many people to step up. I voted for Mason, but I was surprised that (so far) nobody voted for Kelly.
    I think that we're getting used to the steadiness of Ryan Kelly - solid everywhere, scoring, (much improved) defense, good passing, enough rebounding. I'm guessing that at some point in a couple of years we'll (collectively) realize just how good he is.

Tyler

Mason was the MVP but when you think of this game who are you going to think of first?
    Tyler was the Man of the Match.

My initial thought was Ryan - who I think I've voted for the most this year so far. Then, I wanted to go with TT for "the shot".

But then I listened to the Bilas interview with K...and K said that Mason was player of the game. So...Mason it is.

What freethrow shooting problem?

Wow! What a game.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
    I think that we're getting used to the steadiness of Ryan Kelly - solid everywhere, scoring, (much improved) defense, good passing, enough rebounding. I'm guessing that at some point in a couple of years we'll (collectively) realize just how good he is.
    In a couple of years...

Commish: "With the 23rd pick of the 2013 NBA draft, the New York Knicks select... Ryan Kelly from Duke University."

Crowd: BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    As much as I want to vote for Tyler based on his stellar defense and his last-minute heroics, I have to go with Mason on this one. He pulled a double-double, essentially matching the performance of one of the best big men in the country, and he got through his mental block on the FT line. (Let's hope that's gone for good!) His defense was very good, and he was aggressive and successful on offense. I agree with Coach - he was a real man out there today.

But back to Tyler. I've contemplated starting a complementary poll for each game - Man of the Moment. Often, the game turns on a play or a series of plays in which one player plays a key role. If we had a Man of the Moment poll for this game, Tyler wins it in a landslide. I don't want to discount the rest of his performance tonight, because his defense was exceptional, but those two shots were just special.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Have to vote for Double T. Mason will get his.

Also, Kelly's game reminded me of Kyle tonight. Never has before, but the way he was slashing, driving, spotting up...very Singleresque.

Mason.
    He grew up!
    His end of game D was outstanding. Blocks and rebounds all over the place...
    Its like he was letting that KU dude to have a few gimmes and get some confidence so he could shut him down once he learned his tendencies... or maybe the the KU got tired legs... who cares. Great sequences from Mason. He did work so that TT's shots could matter!

Mason-MOTM-beastly performance

Ryan-Maui MVP

TT-Best performance by a supporting actor

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Mason-MOTM-beastly performance

Ryan-Maui MVP

TT-Best performance by a supporting actor
    i'll drink to that.......