Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    This team definitely has some nice pieces. We clearly can really shoot the ball. What will determine how far we will go is defense. We really haven't shown that we can stop people yet. We've basically just outscored every team. Against MSU and Davidson we had period where we really locked down the other team. One this is certain: they are fun as heck to watch!

Quote Originally Posted by arnie is still king View Post
    I don't see Miles suddenly figuring it out and becoming Zoubek. I'm hoping G and Murphy start seeing more time and becoming mid range offensive players with solid defensive skills. Miles is a solid sub for Mason, but can't see anymore than that.
    I think I've heard something like this before.

They develop as they develop. Alaa had an absolutely amazing senior Eureka! moment ("Catch! Face! Shoot!"), which became the ACC's all time consecutive FG streak. I'm not expecting Miles to become Zoubs or Alaa; he's his own person. But I'm not going to put him out to pasture, either.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post

They develop as they develop. Alaa had an absolutely amazing senior Eureka! moment ("Catch! Face! Shoot!"), which became the ACC's all time consecutive FG streak. I'm not expecting Miles to become Zoubs or Alaa; he's his own person. But I'm not going to put him out to pasture, either.

-jk
    The thing that makes it hard for me to even watch Miles is that he has all the physical tools to be really good, but never quite gets there. His problems are 100% between his ears. If it clicks for him Duke can be scary good.

A quibble

Quote Originally Posted by SMO View Post
    The thing that makes it hard for me to even watch Miles is that he has all the physical tools to be really good, but never quite gets there. His problems are 100% between his ears. If it clicks for him Duke can be scary good.
    I really don't like to say the problems are between his ears. (Hope I'm not nitpicking or nit-picking.) Miles is by all accounts a smart kid with a great attitude. I don't think you meant otherwise, but what you wrote can be interpreted in several ways.

Just because somebody is a great athlete, but plays basketball (or any sport, for that matter) less well than you might expect doesn't mean the problem is in his or her head. It can be the mix of specific skills. For example, eye-hand coordination can be an issue. Maybe that's in one's head -- I'm not really sure.

Some players have a sense of how to maneuver to score down low and others don't. It's not clear to me, however, how easy it is to learn that sense. Some players never get it. By the way, I think both MP1 and MP2 (the twins, right?) are doing a much better job of drawing contact down low.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    I really don't like to say the problems are between his ears. (Hope I'm not nitpicking or nit-picking.) Miles is by all accounts a smart kid with a great attitude. I don't think you meant otherwise, but what you wrote can be interpreted in several ways.

Just because somebody is a great athlete, but plays basketball (or any sport, for that matter) less well than you might expect doesn't mean the problem is in his or her head. It can be the mix of specific skills. For example, eye-hand coordination can be an issue. Maybe that's in one's head -- I'm not really sure.

Some players have a sense of how to maneuver to score down low and others don't. It's not clear to me, however, how easy it is to learn that sense. Some players never get it. By the way, I think both MP1 and MP2 (the twins, right?) are doing a much better job of drawing contact down low.
    In order to avoid misinterpretation and further nit-picking, what would be an appropriate way to re-phrase what I said?

Miles needs to simplify the game. He is still trying to do much. We need him to rebound, play solid D without fouling, relocate and rebound some more.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

forget defense

Seems like a lot of posters have concerns about our defense. Well, it might not be as good this year as some, but I'm betting Coach K could not care less. If you have a team that is really, really good at something useful--like scoring a bunch of points (and there is no starter you can leave alone, if you are the other team) then a smart coach rides that. Case in point -the 1992 team, which basically didn't bother with defense and just outscored everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketeli View Post
    Seems like a lot of posters have concerns about our defense. Well, it might not be as good this year as some, but I'm betting Coach K could not care less. If you have a team that is really, really good at something useful--like scoring a bunch of points (and there is no starter you can leave alone, if you are the other team) then a smart coach rides that. Case in point -the 1992 team, which basically didn't bother with defense and just outscored everyone.
    I'm pretty sure that every team Coach K has ever coached has put defense as priority #1. I'm quite sure that this year is no different. As such, I'm pretty sure Coach K would disagree with the bolded statement above.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie is still king View Post
    I don't see Miles suddenly figuring it out and becoming Zoubek. I'm hoping G and Murphy start seeing more time and becoming mid range offensive players with solid defensive skills. Miles is a solid sub for Mason, but can't see anymore than that.
    I dunno. I see flashes of Miles "getting it" on the offensive boards, especially. He knows where the ball is going to go. He just doesn't always do a good job putting himself in legal position to either grab the rebound or tip it out. I could see him turning into an offensive rebounding weapon. Let's not forget that one of the 2010 championship team's strengths down low was offensive rebounding, but Zoubs wasn't necessarily out of this world in terms of grabbing them. Down the stretch (February and March) he averaged about 3.7 offensive rebounds a game. I really don't think, if he can start playing smarter and get more minutes, doing something comparable is completely out of reach.

Also don't forget that Zoubek didn't "figure it out" until mid- to late-February when we played Maryland at home and took over the starting position. Even after that, he had some rough games, like when he pulled down only 5 rebounds in 29 minutes against Miami in mid-Feburary. But he was consistent on the glass on both ends of the floor and created a few second-chance opportunities per game for us. That's what this team needs to, and I think Miles, along with Mason and Ryan, can still contribute that. In fact, I like our prospects even more this year for pounding the offensive glass than in 2010, because we have Kelly as our third rebounder, and he is probably the smartest rebounder we have.

Good and fair question

Quote Originally Posted by SMO View Post
    In order to avoid misinterpretation and further nit-picking, what would be an appropriate way to re-phrase what I said?
    I'm not sure, and maybe others have better ideas, but how about suggesting specific basketball skills he needs to improve, such as catching the ball, or being ready to catch the ball moving to score, as Greybeard has suggested? Or avoiding cheap fouls? (That was a biggie for Zoubs two years ago.)

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I'm pretty sure that every team Coach K has ever coached has put defense as priority #1. I'm quite sure that this year is no different. As such, I'm pretty sure Coach K would disagree with the bolded statement above.
    You beat me to it, CDu. With K it always starts with defense. Which is why we've had some wonderfully talented scorers sit the bench over the years.

You are always in the game if the other team can't score, no matter whether your shots are falling or not.

Quote Originally Posted by feldspar View Post
    I dunno. I see flashes of Miles "getting it" on the offensive boards, especially. He knows where the ball is going to go. He just doesn't always do a good job putting himself in legal position to either grab the rebound or tip it out. I could see him turning into an offensive rebounding weapon. Let's not forget that one of the 2010 championship team's strengths down low was offensive rebounding, but Zoubs wasn't necessarily out of this world in terms of grabbing them. Down the stretch (February and March) he averaged about 3.7 offensive rebounds a game. I really don't think, if he can start playing smarter and get more minutes, doing something comparable is completely out of reach.

Also don't forget that Zoubek didn't "figure it out" until mid- to late-February when we played Maryland at home and took over the starting position. Even after that, he had some rough games, like when he pulled down only 5 rebounds in 29 minutes against Miami in mid-Feburary. But he was consistent on the glass on both ends of the floor and created a few second-chance opportunities per game for us. That's what this team needs to, and I think Miles, along with Mason and Ryan, can still contribute that. In fact, I like our prospects even more this year for pounding the offensive glass than in 2010, because we have Kelly as our third rebounder, and he is probably the smartest rebounder we have.
    One correction here: Zoubek WAS out of this world in terms of grabbing offensive rebounds. This was one of the greatest advantages that team had. Zoubek had the best Offensive Rebounding % in the country and one of the better %s of the past few years. That team didn't have a great turnover margin (though it didn't turn the ball over much, thanks Jon), or a great effective FG%, but it did have a ton of second chance opportunities. As has been posted elsewhere, Zoubek was playing well before February, but just wasn't able to stay on the floor consistently due mostly to foul trouble. I hope Miles continues to rebound well, especially offensively, but I don't expect the team to do that particular skill as well as the team did in 2010.

-jk
    Thanks for the link! That poster must be a "glass half empty" guy. Hopefully, he's wrong two times in two years.

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    One correction here: Zoubek WAS out of this world in terms of grabbing offensive rebounds. This was one of the greatest advantages that team had. Zoubek had the best Offensive Rebounding % in the country and one of the better %s of the past few years. That team didn't have a great turnover margin (though it didn't turn the ball over much, thanks Jon), or a great effective FG%, but it did have a ton of second chance opportunities. As has been posted elsewhere, Zoubek was playing well before February, but just wasn't able to stay on the floor consistently due mostly to foul trouble. I hope Miles continues to rebound well, especially offensively, but I don't expect the team to do that particular skill as well as the team did in 2010.
    Thanks, I wasn't aware of the efficiency numbers you reference. Seemed to me at first glance that 3-4 offensive rebounds a game is pretty good, but nothing to call "out of this world."

Well, that's what I call having a mind like a steel trap!

Thanks, I wasn't aware of the efficiency numbers you reference. Seemed to me at first glance that 3-4 offensive rebounds a game is pretty good, but nothing to call "out of this world."
    You're right in that his total offensive rebounding numbers weren't out of this world like his % as his offensive rebounds per game were 20th in the country. Very good, but not out of this world.

NSDukeFan is correct. I believe Zoubek's offensive rebounding percentage was one of the top five such performances by any college player this decade. Not only that, he was putting up those numbers all year, just in fewer minutes. The only thing he "figured out" starting mid-February was how to stay on the floor without getting into foul trouble. The rest of the things we saw down the stretch he'd been doing all season.

But your overall point is sound. There's no reason to give up on Miles at this stage. I expect him to be a solid contributor all season, and if he does have his epiphany moment, look out.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    NSDukeFan is correct. I believe Zoubek's offensive rebounding percentage was one of the top five such performances by any college player this decade. Not only that, he was putting up those numbers all year, just in fewer minutes. The only thing he "figured out" starting mid-February was how to stay on the floor without getting into foul trouble. The rest of the things we saw down the stretch he'd been doing all season.

But your overall point is sound. There's no reason to give up on Miles at this stage. I expect him to be a solid contributor all season, and if he does have his epiphany moment, look out.
    Help me out with the whole % concept and how that compares to just overall offensive rebounding numbers...is it just in terms of total possessions where there is an offensive rebounding opportunity?

Help me out with the whole % concept and how that compares to just overall offensive rebounding numbers...is it just in terms of total possessions where there is an offensive rebounding opportunity?
    I believe it is the percentage of all available rebounds on that end of a court that a player grabs, so this controls for tempo, shooting percentages as they would for total rebounds. I hope that makes sense.

It's simply the percentage of actual missed shots rebounded by that player. It normalizes and takes variables like mpg, tempo and FG% out of the equation.

Edit: looks like I said basically the same thing as NSDukeFan.