Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    Which product was the emphasis on, the former or the latter?
    If it was at Ocean Annie's---it doesn't make a difference

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    My follow on question is: will Duke's big men encounter foul trouble tonight due to the need to focus on containing Robinson? If yes, how does Coach K respond?
    First, I'm not sure that the consensus is that we'll double team. I think we'll play our usual help defense if he gets near the rim, but otherwise I think we'll defend straight up.

As for fouls... well, there's always the possibility that we could run into foul trouble in the post. But I think you're placing too much concern here on Robinson. He's a very talented player, but he's not some foul-drawing machine. Aside from the Georgetown game, he hasn't attempted more than 3 free throws in any game.

The guy merits some attention for sure. But I don't think we have to design our defense around stopping him.

Miles and Mason have been prone to foul trouble throughout their careers, so we could see Duke playing a Ryan Kelly plus four guards line-up for significant minutes during tonight's game. Or, if Kelly happens to be one of the guys who picks up too many fouls, we could see a line-up of Plumlee (whichever one is not in foul trouble) plus four guards.

Interior foul trouble could result in some minutes for Mike Gbinije and/or Alex Murphy. I'm not too concerned as long as all three big guys don't become unavailable.
    Miles has certainly struggled with foul trouble throughout his career. Mason did so as well as a freshman and early in his sophomore year. But the second half of last year and for the most part this year (last game of course excluded) he's not had trouble with fouls.

And if one of our bigs does get in foul trouble, remember that we still have Hairston. So it's not like we have to jump down to Gbinije or Murphy or four guards if one (or even two) of our bigs get in foul trouble.

Duke Kansas Maui Championship Thread

Predictions fellow Krazies?

DBR: scheyeronfire
    Twitter: DukiePhil

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by gam7 View Post
    I don't remember a basketball tournament called the Trojan-Bud Light Classic, but I think my fraternity had a mixer by that name at Myrtle Beach before graduation. It was tremendous.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pghdukie View Post
    If it was at Ocean Annie's---it doesn't make a difference
    Nice to see it's loose on game day. Do not drink while reading.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post

The guy merits some attention for sure. But I don't think we have to design our defense around stopping him.
    It just seems to me Coach K likes to game plan to take something away from the opponent and make them adjust. Against Tennessee and Michigan, his game plan was to take away the 3-point shot. My whole objective in posing the scenario is to generate discussion on what Kansas has that Coach K desires to take away.
    Bob Green

Sorry, but what happens in Myrtle stays in Myrtle. Unless, of course, it involves the horrible judgment of someone other than me.
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

It just seems to me Coach K likes to game plan to take something away from the opponent and make them adjust. Against Tennessee and Michigan, his game plan was to take away the 3-point shot. My whole objective in posing the scenario is to generate discussion on what Kansas has that Coach K desires to take away.
    I'm guessing it's Taylor and/or Johnson. But I don't think it'll involve double-teaming - just like it didn't involve double-teaming against Tennessee or Michigan.

We faced a really good big man in Draymond Green and didn't double team him. I'd expect the same tonight.

No Touch Fouls Here

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    Our bigs may get in foul trouble against Kansas, but they haven't shown that tendency so far this year. Miles and Mason have each had 4 fouls once in six games and Ryan has never had more than three.

Thornton on the other hand...
    Let's all agree that when Tyler Thornton fouls, he gets his money's worth.

sagegrouse

Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Let's all agree that when Tyler Thornton fouls, he gets his money's worth.

sagegrouse
    Tyler gets his shot in when he fouls. But he also seems to get some pretty good pounding when he's fouled. Guess what goes around comes around. GoDuke!

the question I need answered is what the heck does rock chalk jayhawk mean?

Wiki, Wiki, Wiki!

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    the question I need answered is what the heck does rock chalk jayhawk mean?
    History

The cult chant was first adopted by the university's science club in 1886. Chemistry professor E.H.S. Bailey and his colleagues were returning by train to Lawrence after a conference. During their travel, they discussed a need of a rousing yell. They came up with "Rah, Rah, Jayhawk, Go KU"[1], repeated three times, which later became "Rock Chalk Jayhawk, KU".

By 1889, "Rock Chalk"—a transposition of chalk rock, a type of limestone, that exists in Kansas, but only in the Cretaceous-age bedrocks of central and western parts of the state (more than 150 miles west of Lawrence) and on Mount Oread where the University is located, which is similar to the coccolith bearing chalk of the white cliffs of Dover—later replaced the two "rahs." Those responsible for the change are unknown with Bailey himself crediting the geology department[2] and others an English professor.[3]
    Here's one view -- sagegrouse

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Thanks to all for the responses. It appears the consensus is we will double team (at least to a degree) Thomas Robinson in order to shutdown Kansas' leading scorer. It will be interesting to look for this strategy while watching the game tonight.

My follow on question is: will Duke's big men encounter foul trouble tonight due to the need to focus on containing Robinson? If yes, how does Coach K respond?

Miles and Mason have been prone to foul trouble throughout their careers, so we could see Duke playing a Ryan Kelly plus four guards line-up for significant minutes during tonight's game. Or, if Kelly happens to be one of the guys who picks up too many fouls, we could see a line-up of Plumlee (whichever one is not in foul trouble) plus four guards.

Interior foul trouble could result in some minutes for Mike Gbinije and/or Alex Murphy. I'm not too concerned as long as all three big guys don't become unavailable.

Thoughts? I'm excited for the game. Early season tournaments are exciting times, especially when you end up with a marquee match-up between two Blue Bloods such as Duke and Kansas!
    Actually, since early last year, Mason has done a much better job at not fouling. Mason averaged 2.5 fouls per game last season, and so far this year that number is down to 2.1. So I think he defends well now while limiting his fouls. Much improved there. Miles on the other hand, averaged 2.3 last season but played 300 fewer minutes than Mason. This year, Miles is at 2.1 in 77 less minutes than Mason.

Miles will have to work hard tonight to limit his fouls against Robinson. Kelly averaged 2.0 per last year and so far this year is at
    1.08. This will be a good test for our frontline tonight. Josh will likely get a few minutes in the first half as well. Hopefully all 4 will play well. It will be interesting to see if K chooses to give Mason more touches down low tonight to try to get Robinson into foul trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Here's one view -- sagegrouse
    They should invent a more interesting story.

Did anyone else just see that clip from practice where Andre and Josh (I think) had to be separated? Andre was fired up! I'm surprised they let that be filmed.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 24 90 View Post
    Did anyone else just see that clip from practice where Andre and Josh (I think) had to be separated? Andre was fired up! I'm surprised they let that be filmed.
    I saw it. Not that unusual really. Practices are physical and tempers sometimes flare. I loved K's response, where he set not to hold the temper but to use it. Just another teaching moment for the Master.

No live chat?

Guess not. I'll talk to myself.

Seth looking good. Should be a battle all the way.

6 points all off three's...i'm happy to see that there are some drives, but I think we really need to work the ball around more before settling for 3s. We have taken what, 1 2 vs 4 3's? That's fine when we shoot 50%, but that's not always going to happen. (unless seth stays on his current pace)
    1200. DDMF.

My guess were outscored in the paint 45-15

Nice drive by Mason.

Both teams brought their offense. Who brought the D? That looks to be the question that will determine.