Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I have had a few chances to meet Dave. Great guy, really surprised he did not do better at USC after leaving Wake.
    Great guy and just think Dave coached the bigs at Wake when Duncan was in school. At least that's what Dave told me. Dave must be what 6'10" or better, lol. GoDuke!

some halftime thoughts...

Defensive intensity needs to pick up and there is too much standing around on offense. Kansas came out wanting this win more than us.

We need to penetrate more to get to the ft line. Mason is playing strong on both ends and Kelly is an absolute stud. Also, Austin's threes and slashes to the hoop are unreal. He reminds me of a bigger Chris Jackson (LSU)

I'm intrigued as to what adjustments K will make. I think we need to go to Mason in the post more in the 2nd Half.

Better effort after the first 10 minutes getting it in the post. Mason with a couple of nice moves, along with a couple looking lost after the catch. He could score plenty with better/quicker entry passes.

Another nice game going for Kelly.

Rivers is stuttersteppin sometimes on a catch. He's gonna get called on that sooner or later.

Kansas is playing tough perimeter D, but making some poor decisions with the ball.

The inside intensity is about to go up in the second half for both sides is my guess.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunDevil View Post
    Defensive intensity needs to pick up and there is too much standing around on offense. Kansas came out wanting this win more than us.

We need to penetrate more to get to the ft line. Mason is playing strong on both ends and Kelly is an absolute stud. Also, Austin's threes and slashes to the hoop are unreal. He reminds me of a bigger Chris Jackson (LSU)

I'm intrigued as to what adjustments K will make. I think we need to go to Mason in the post more in the 2nd Half.
    Curry just can't get into the teeth of their defense. I'd like to see more Cook. I think he could help get the offense rolling.

Kansas picked up their 6th team foul with 11:24 remaining and 7th, putting Duke in the bonus, with 8:03 remaining. Foul #8 didn't come until the 1:47 mark. I'd like to see Duke do a better job of taking advantage of being in the bonus in such situations -- Rivers driving to the basket; dumping the ball in to Mason, etc. Not that they didn't do it at all, but it could've happened more; no Kansas fouls in 6+ minutes suggests Duke wasn't putting as much pressure on their (excellent) defense as they might. Rivers' quick, ill-considered three off an offensive rebound is one example -- he could have driven into the lane, as Kansas' D wasn't set.

Otherwise: Kelly took a couple of the types of threes I don't like to see him take -- rushed and/or well-guarded. Those aren't his shots. And I worry foul trouble is going to be a big problem.

But mostly: Kansas looks really good, and staying with them through 20 minutes is an accomplishment.

LOOK at K firing on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DEFENSE

And Rivers on the other end!!!

DEFENSE

And Rivers on the other end!!!
    AS GOOD AS ADVERTISED!....needs to hit the FT though...
    1200. DDMF.

Yes, Austin! We need someone to step up here and draw some fouls on Kansas. Ugh on the missed FT. He needs to learn to calm down after a big play.

HELL YES, here we go!!!!!!!!

Mason Plumtree. Proving his quality.
    1200. DDMF.

Man, we are just not getting much from Andre tonight - only 3 shots thus far and 1 board. He seems to be standing around a lot

feeling like March! Intense!

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisP View Post
    Man, we are just not getting much from Andre tonight - only 3 shots thus far and 1 board. He seems to be standing around a lot
    Don't let the stats fool you. He has seemed strong on defense and the tight defense has prevented him from getting some great open looks. Just because he doesn't have the "numbers" doesn't mean he hasn't had an effect.
    1200. DDMF.

We look fresher -- Kansas getting tired?

We look fresher -- Kansas getting tired?

Agreed. We need an Austin dagger about now...

I like our moxie the last 5 minutes or so - especially on D. This team is growing up in front of our eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    Don't let the stats fool you. He has seemed strong on defense and the tight defense has prevented him from getting some great open looks. Just because he doesn't have the "numbers" doesn't mean he hasn't had an effect.
    It's pretty easy to guard a guy who just stands still in the corner for large chunks of the shot clock - just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    Also, his assist on Curry's three in the first half was a very smart cross-court pass under duress, and he just passed up an opportunity to put up a contested three in transition in favor of getting the ball to Mason deep in the post, who made a nice hook shot. In the NBA, Andre would've gotten an assist on that play, too. Regardless, it was a smart play and led to a bucket.

I agree with K! No way!!!