Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor

MBB: Duke 82 Michigan 75 Post-Game Thread

Another solid win by the good guys.

Discuss the game here.

I think the guys are improving... learning how to win. Michigan was on fire in the second half. The Devils have to keep the defensinve intensity up for 40 minutes. Not 33, 36, or 38, but 40. I'm confident it'll come.

Let's win a championship!

I actually think watching us in a tight game throughout may be less stressful than watching us cling to a dwindling lead. Once again we play stellar basketball for a stretch early in the 2nd half to create separation and once again we struggle towards the end. Their extended zone gave us a lot of problems late. Our defense was non-existent at the end, though I understand we didn't want to foul and most of the focus was on clock management. I would have liked to have seen Mason get the ball deeper in the post and not so far away from the box but that can be part of facing the zone.

Our guard play was very good tonight, especially Seth.
    "Just be you. You is Enough."

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    Another solid win by the good guys.

Discuss the game here.
    YUp.

Great first half....second half...ehhhhhhh

-credit to UM for hitting some tough shots, but we can't be giving up 53 points in 20 minutes...
    -austin and dre had very good games, but still took a some bad shots...dre i remember taking a running three near the duke bench which got blocked, and austin took a few from ~25' range...not good shot selection, regardless of how hot you are
    -mason FOULS wow....miles did a pretty good job stepping up in his place with 4 points and 5 boards
    -overall horrible job on the boards, though....we got out rebounded 29-25 (11-6 offensive), they're not small, but we're still bigger...
    -we hit 7-10 3pt, then 4 of our last 11...gotta not just settle for them when they're falling...always work on offense to get the open shot, whether its a 3 or a drive...

really happy with our performance overall....certainly progress.
    1200. DDMF.

Very solid win. I thought the guards played well and Kelly had a solid game. Michigan is a pretty good team and they really shot the ball well in the second half.

The Plumlee's inability to score in the low post against a good team is troubling. Mason's inability to hit a free throw does not bode well. Miles again showed terrible hands. I don't understand why the Plumlee's can't score against that 1-3-1.

But, I'm dwelling on the negative when there was some very good play from the rest of the team.

Tyler Thornton does more to impact the game with less impact on the scoresheet than any player I can recall. As Auerbach said about KC Jones -- he doesn't shoot that well, he isn't that fast, but when he plays, we win. Color me impressed!

Quote Originally Posted by mgtr View Post
    Tyler Thornton does more to impact the game with less impact on the scoresheet than any player I can recall. As Auerbach said about KC Jones -- he doesn't shoot that well, he isn't that fast, but when he plays, we win. Color me impressed!
    its called the tebow effect
    1200. DDMF.

I really like how the team is developing and Andre is earning his minutes. Curry is running the team great and Austin really knows how to get to the lane. Once he figures out how to get even better shots, he will only become more dangerous. Kelly was absolutely solid on the boards and on the offensive side of the floor.

Plumlees got worse tonight. Too many fouls, too much dribbling and not enough boards. Defensively they looked sloppy tonight.

Overall very happy with the effort of our young team. Still looking for a leader to emerge. Need more energy.

Also need Austin to focus his energy on his next play and not running his mouth with the opposing team.
    The Terrapin Assassin

Tyler Thornton does more to impact the game with less impact on the scoresheet than any player I can recall.
    Dave McClure comes to mind immediately

Quote Originally Posted by turnandburn55 View Post
    OK, great catch -- I agree completely!

The Plumlees seem to struggle when they play against smart opponents (players and/or coaches). Ryan doesn't have that problem.

How is it that Michigan looked so good against Duke in March? Duke didn't play as well as they could have and still managed to win (would have been easily if they hadn't stopped playing defense around the 2:30 mark).

Love the balanced scoring and really had some good ball movement tonight.

Curry and Rivers have different skill sets but complement each other very well.
    Seth is so solid coming off screens or spotting up for a three. What a beautiful stroke.
    Austin is really special as a penetrator; just offhand, the only Duke players I can recall with his skill for beating an opponent off the dribble are Jason Williams and Kyrie Irving.

Really good win against a very good Michigan team that shot lights out in the 2nd half.

Ryan had a very good game. Very solid throughout. Seth had another of his very quiet, high-scoring games.

It appeared that the "assist" switch was turned on for Austin Rivers at halftime. He made some very nice passes to open teammates in the second half. It goes without saying that he also made some beautiful shots, but I was as happy, if not more happy, with the assists. His overall game is even more solid when he gets his teammates involved in the action IMHO.

Kelly got my vote for MOTM, but one could just as easily make an argument for giving Austin Rivers the nod. I thought Kelly was consistently good throughout the entire game, and Rivers had a strong 2nd half.

Impressions: Sunrise (in Maui)

I thought Austin Rivers had his best game. He seemed to be at the center of the offense and was consistent throughout the game. I also thought he did well on defense.

Kelly, Curry and Dawkins also had good games with scoring at critical times. Duke shot 11 for 21 (52%) from 3-point land.The first half was amazing. Not only was the defense at the "shutdown" level but the offense did a good job of carving up the Michigan zone.

No complaints about the Plumlees. Mason is an amazing talent and should demand the ball more. Both Mason and Miles did a good job of taking the ball away from Michigan players.

Tomorrow is the big day. The big problem in the Maui tournament is the cramps from the heat and humidity in the gym. I suspect we'll see some effects tomorrow with the third game in three days for eight teams.

Go Duke!!!!!

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by turnandburn55 View Post
    More Sean Dockery than McClure - McClure guarded bigger guys (SFs mainly), not point guards.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

Well said. I just don't know what the intangible is that he brings to the floor when he's in but the rest of the team clearly picks up the intensity. Way to go Tyler!

I thought that it was a weak perimeter defensive effort from Michigan and another example of a good outside shooting from Duke covering for a poor post offense.

To date, the post offense consists of offensive rebounds from 3's. This is a good Duke team, but there is no way they win a title without better effort and results getting easy baskets inside with the bigs and keeping teams honest. Teams are going to stay on the shooters sooner or later and these high %'s are coming down.

Duke will have to improve post play as the season goes along.

A lot to like

I loved Seth's game tonight. He is smart and reliable and played good defense. While he is not a break your ankle point guard, he makes up for it with savy and scoring talent. Ryan played great tonight and has become one of the keys to the teams success. Scoring, passing and playing sound defense. He has really made great progress.

Some may criticize the wildness of Austin's penetrating moves and his at times loss of defensive concentrations. I think we all need to realize he is a freshman in the early part of the season. He gives Duke a weapon that other defenses have to account for. I love his game and expect it to only improve as the season progresses.

Andre played very well and chipped in 14. I think he was getting tired toward the end and you could see his and Ryan's shots were off toward the end. That brings up what I think is something Duke needs to consider during the end of game situations. We have trouble scoring inside with the Plumlee's but it would be great if we could go away from the exclusive use of the three to end the game. Maybe we want to play Kelly inside and let him gets shots near the basket. If they foul him in the act, he is deadly from the line.

Thornton played a solid defensive game and chipped in 4 points so his overall impact was solid as was Cook's when he was in.

The Plumlee's will take criticism for their play, but they played hard, and are our athletic bigs. We need them to be successful Yes it would be better in Miles could learn not to dribble the ball when he is close to the basket and of couse Mason needs to hit his free throws. Overall though we still need to respect their efforts as without them we would not be successful.

After two hard games we are going to be tired going into tomorrow night. Let us hope our shooters will still maintain their legs and that our defensive intensity can remain high for the entire game. Miles really should be fresh since he hasn't played that many minutes, but the starters have all logged a lot of minutes. We are seeing that Duke is indeed worthy of their ranking and can win the tournament if they dont tire out totally.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    Very solid win. I thought the guards played well and Kelly had a solid game. Michigan is a pretty good team and they really shot the ball well in the second half.

The Plumlee's inability to score in the low post against a good team is troubling. Mason's inability to hit a free throw does not bode well. Miles again showed terrible hands. I don't understand why the Plumlee's can't score against that 1-3-1.

But, I'm dwelling on the negative when there was some very good play from the rest of the team.
    Michigan took away the post by double teaming/trapping any time one of our bigs caught the ball on the block, whether in zone or man. They decided to force or guards to beat them, which is exactly what happened.

Michigan is a good team, and well coached. Everyone talks about Belein's offense, but he makes his money with his defensive scheme's.

Once again we had great balance in our scoring with Austin, Seth, Kelly, and Dawkins all in double figures. We were really good offensively in both halve until the last 6 minutes when we settled for too many jumpshots and went cold. Andre got blocked twice, and missed 3 threes and a mid-range jumper. Kelly missed 2 three's, and Austin missed a three. That was way too many three's to be taking trying to close out the game. We lost our defensive intensity at times in the 2nd half, but I give Michigan credit as well. When it went from 17 at the 7 minute mark down to 9, I thought that was more of a "Michigan run" than bad play on our part.

Michigan played really well offensively in the 2nd half, but every single time they made a run, Duke would answer with a huge shot or mini-run of their own. Austin was really good tonight, as was Seth and Ryan. It had to be disheartening to Michigan to hit 3's, score on great moves to the basket, then look up and they are still down 8 to 11 points. It was a game of runs, and at the end of the day, Duke just had too much firepower for Michigan.

This is a darn good Duke Basketball team that is only going to get better. Michigan handled Memphis last night, and Tennessee took Memphis to double OT before losing by 2. Duke comes out of that group of 4 teams looking very impressive. If the defense can get a little more consistent, this team is going to be extremely difficult to beat.

Looking forward to tomorrow night. The guys have a great opportunity in front of them to cut down some nets and win a championship early in this young season, which is awesome. Let's hope they get some much needed rest and come out ready to play tomorrow evening.

Go Duke!