Some notes on Duke press conference, 11-22-11

Amazing what a rivalry week will do. Lots of energy on display.

Ross Cockrell channeled his inner Ozzie. "Our goal this week is to ring the bell and shock the world. It's our season. It's our bowl game."

Most poignant moment? Matt Daniels was talking to about a half-dozen of us. The subject was the impact of a Duke win over Carolina. He said something like " a win would be so big for us going into next season. Then, he paused and laughed; "I guess I mean for them."

That's what happens with seniors at the end of their final season. It just kind of sneaks up on them.

Daniels had another interesting comment. "This game means so much to the Duke community. Our fans want it even more than I want it, and I want it pretty bad."

So, yes, they do know you're out there.

Daniels added that Duke had great schemes for this week but seemed to focus on the more primal aspects of the game. "We need to big-boy-up. From the very first play, we need to send the message that we aren't going to be pushed around."

Cut acknowledged that Duke is "not as healthy as we'd like to be." Still, Duke had a pretty physical practice this A.M., with lots of 1st-team v. 1st-team work.
    Emphasis on being prepared "to go toe-to-toe." No secret that Carolina has tried to physically bully Duke in recent years and Duke seems to have had enough. Is Duke healthy enough for it to matter?

Cut also acknowledged that he and Roper spent a lot of time going into the GT game working on improving the redzone schemes and performance. Maybe, a corner turned.

Speaking of Matt Daniels, Cut has argued for much of the season that he deserved to be a first-team All-America. Cut is trying real hard to get Daniels an invite to the NFL combine. Much praise for Daniels' consistency. Never takes a play off, never takes a practice off. Great work ethic. Duke will miss him.

Excellent report as always, Jim. Many thanks.

Enjoy your turkey, everyone, and let's whoop some turkeys on Saturday!

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Speaking of Matt Daniels, Cut has argued for much of the season that he deserved to be a first-team All-America. Cut is trying real hard to get Daniels an invite to the NFL combine. Much praise for Daniels' consistency. Never takes a play off, never takes a practice off. Great work ethic. Duke will miss him.
    Absolutely. I can't believe how many times I hear his name after plays when I go to the games. I sometimes think there must be at least three guys out there named Matt Daniels.

Ross Cockrell channeled his inner Ozzie. "Our goal this week is to ring the bell and shock the world. It's our season. It's our bowl game."
    Hmmm, how to say this. Let's just say that there are some people very high up in the program who have never even touched the bell, much less rung it, but very much want to. And they know first hand how much I want to ring it again.

Upon further reflection, I guess no one currently on the team or on the coaching staff has ever touched the bell. This must not stand.
    Last edited by OZZIE4DUKE; 11-22-2011 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Further reflections
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

When we last won the bell, the fball team brought it into Cameron during halftime of a BB game that night. Great fun!
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Most poignant moment? Matt Daniels was talking to about a half-dozen of us. The subject was the impact of a Duke win over Carolina. He said something like " a win would be so big for us going into next season. Then, he paused and laughed; "I guess I mean for them."

That's what happens with seniors at the end of their final season. It just kind of sneaks up on them.

Daniels had another interesting comment. "This game means so much to the Duke community. Our fans want it even more than I want it, and I want it pretty bad."

So, yes, they do know you're out there.

Daniels added that Duke had great schemes for this week but seemed to focus on the more primal aspects of the game. "We need to big-boy-up. From the very first play, we need to send the message that we aren't going to be pushed around."

Cut acknowledged that Duke is "not as healthy as we'd like to be." Still, Duke had a pretty physical practice this A.M., with lots of 1st-team v. 1st-team work.
    Emphasis on being prepared "to go toe-to-toe." No secret that Carolina has tried to physically bully Duke in recent years and Duke seems to have had enough. Is Duke healthy enough for it to matter?

Cut also acknowledged that he and Roper spent a lot of time going into the GT game working on improving the redzone schemes and performance. Maybe, a corner turned.

I swear it sounds like Ozzie was in on those discussions between Cut and Roper. Well, maybe not then but at some other later time.......

Thanks for the report, Jim. Hopefully, our offense is running on all eight cylinders against the Heels.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Thanks for the report, Jim. Hopefully, our offense is running on all eight cylinders against the Heels.
    psh....w16 engine like the veyron
    1200. DDMF.