Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Free throw shooting is such a problem for the two Plumlees- particularly Mason. This is something that you have to practice over and over again. Mason has decent form but it is not a very reliable shot. He has not figured it out. Ryan is money from the line- Mason is not. Very frustrating because this is something that can be fixed with lots of hours. That said, he has worked on his hook and footwork. Overall, Mason has shown improvement and is becoming a rebounding machine.
    Yes, it can be fixed or greatly improved.
    Don't agree that Mason has decent form.
    In short, he has too many moving parts, which makes it hard to repeat a regular set of motions.
    Notice for example that he sometimes bends his torso backwards (or occasionally leans forward).
    Just my observations.

Getting to 60% would be significant at this point...and important for team success.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Yes, it can be fixed or greatly improved.
    Don't agree that Mason has decent form.
    In short, he has too many moving parts, which makes it hard to repeat a regular set of motions.
    Notice for example that he sometimes bends his torso backwards (or occasionally leans forward).
    Just my observations.

Getting to 60% would be significant at this point...and important for team success.
    Agree with this. Getting to 60% could mean an additional 2-3 ppg for Mason (when you factor in missed 1-and-1 opportunities). That is very relevant to the team's chances in close games.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Agree with this. Getting to 60% could mean an additional 2-3 ppg for Mason (when you factor in missed 1-and-1 opportunities). That is very relevant to the team's chances in close games.
    When Mason goes to the line I pretty much expect him to hit 1 of 2.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    When Mason goes to the line I pretty much expect him to hit 1 of 2.
    Hey, I'm rooting for 1 of 2. If only he were that good. Unfortunately, so far this season he's only hitting 38% of his free throws. And he leads our team in free throw attempts, which only compounds the problem.

Great optimism???

I guess there are reasons to be concerned about tonight, but I am a little surprised by a general sense of worry about the game. I know how tough the tourney game was, but that was last year. I don't think it has any bearing at all on this match up. Michigan is not the same team, they are good, but there not the same. Duke is much different from last year as we all know. I am not worried about what the Wolverines are going to do or try to do. If Duke executes their gameplan and imposes there will the Blue Devils will win. Regardless of what defense the play against. I hope and pray that Michigan dares the Devils to take thirty or so threes. Please do. A good game, I see the Devils winning by seven or eight.
    LETS GO DUKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by HCheek37 View Post
    Yet another matchup between two programs that know each other quite well...after last year's tournament contest, I am looking forward to another great game today. Michigan lost some firepower in Darius Morris but has grown in other areas and John Beilein has this team headed in the right direction. One of the keys this evening is how Duke handles Trey Burke. Burke is a 6'1" freshmen guard who has started the year off well for the Wolverines. He has posted 13, 14 and 14 in their last 3 games while shooting 54% from the floor and 46% from three. He is a quick guard who Duke must contain especially since the focus will be keeping Novak, Douglass and Hardaway Jr. off the 3 point line.

I think tonight will be a statement game for the Devils but Michigan doesn't play a style that will let this game get out of control. This is a sweet 16 / elite 8 type matchup and should be a great early measuring stick for Duke.

I wonder if Mitch McGary will be watching tonight.

I say Duke 71-66.
    Mitch WHO?

Duke-Mich game is at 7PM EST, with the 9:30 (late) game being UCLA vs. KA. That's from ESPN.

The fact that Mich gave Duke a surprisingly good game in the NCAAT this past March helps, but the real history goes back to the Laettner era and repeatedly beating the (not-so-fab) Five. After that self-serving ESPN special on the Fab-5, recently, produced by one of the aforementioned Fab-5'ers, I will take great satisfaction in a big win tonight.

Hardaway could pose problems for us. Gotta stop their penetration, while not giving up the easy 3's... I think we have an advatage inside, and in general depth. Will be interesting. Good chance to avenge a recent recruiting loss and return them to their proper "place."

Go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by jamesfrommaiden View Post
    I guess there are reasons to be concerned about tonight, but I am a little surprised by a general sense of worry about the game. I know how tough the tourney game was, but that was last year. I don't think it has any bearing at all on this match up. Michigan is not the same team, they are good, but there not the same. Duke is much different from last year as we all know. I am not worried about what the Wolverines are going to do or try to do. If Duke executes their gameplan and imposes there will the Blue Devils will win. Regardless of what defense the play against. I hope and pray that Michigan dares the Devils to take thirty or so threes. Please do. A good game, I see the Devils winning by seven or eight.
    LETS GO DUKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I think there are a few unique aspects of Michigan that are contributing to the hang wringing, aside from the tough game we had with them in the NCAAs.

-I didn't see last night's Michigan game, but they apparently flummoxed Memphis with constantly switching defenses - 1-3-1 and 2-3. Teams that play good zone are tough when you've got time to prepare, and even tougher when you've got no time to prepare.

-According to what I read, they do a great job spacing the floor to set up their 3-point shooting game which they compliment with hard cuts through the D for slashing opportunities and/or kick outs. Said more simply, they run a nice, disciplined, highly-effective and efficient offense which often tries to put up 3 to your 2.

I think we've got better players, especially on the front line, but it may be hard to press that advantage against a defense we aren't used to.

Pure conjecture on my part, but in addition to out scoring michigan from three range, I'd like to see Mason running the baseline against the 1-3-1, and Kelly flashing into the lane against the 2-3. Duke-Mich, Kansas-UCLA! Gotta love Maui!

Michigan will be a tough matchup. They'll spread the floor typically with four guys on the perimeter (one of their bigs is more of a Kelly-like "stretch 4") and attack off the dribble. They'll kick out to shooters.

Hardaway and Burke are very good off the dribble and will be difficult to contain. Smotrycz is a good shooter for a big man and can put it on the floor a bit too. Novak is feisty and a good rebounder for a wing. But really, it comes down to preventing Hardaway and Burke from creating off the dribble. The rest of their offense is pretty pedestrian. They've only topped 60 twice this year, and that's not just a function of playing at a deliberate pace.

Where they might give us a test is on the defensive end. They're very well organized defensively. They don't play exclusively in the 1-3-1 zone, but they will play it a far amount. And they'll switch it up and go with a more typical 2-3 zone as well. And it's worked for them (they haven't allowed more than 61 points this year). We'll need to be patient in attacking the zone and finding good shots rather than settling for bad 3s.

We should win. They might have the best individual player right now, but I think we're better at players 2-9. The key will be not letting their two playmakers turn their lesser players into stars.

Tough test

I'm definitely concerned about the game tonight and could easily see a loss, but either way, we'll certainly grow as a team. Michigan poses a lot of unique challenges - they only lost one starter from last year's team and we saw how much trouble they gave us. Thus, they've been largely playing together with a similar style for quite some time, whereas this Duke team is young and lost three starters from that game last year. Michigan gets a lot of nice back door cuts, which lead to easy buckets, and has great defensive switching in their zone. In addition, their outside shooters can really stroke it from three. If they are feeling it from downtown, we could be in for a rough night. I see this game as similar to ones that have caused us problems in the past. While Michigan isn't particularly athletic, I could see this game blowing open like it did against St. John's last season, Gtown two seasons ago, etc. unless we play very well. But I think a fast paced up and down transition game definitely favors us, so I'd like to see us try to use that style of play, but Michigan's D makes it difficult to do so. I see a few key aspects of the game to come out with the "W."

1.) Attacking the zone - who can do it? Michigan's zone often leaves the mid-range jumper susceptible and I believe Seth is our best player to get and make that kind of shot. Michigan doesn't have the most athletic group (except Hardaway), so I could see some pump fakes form Seth and then step ins just inside the three point line, getting that open bucket or some high screen and roll action from Kelly. Driving all the way to the hole with Austin is probably not going to lead to easy buckets as the big guys on Michigan have great defensive spacing and really know how to pack it in there and effective help side D. Open threes are also hard to come by with Michigan's D typically, but Andre has really impressed me with his movement without the ball this season (almost Redick-like), so perhaps he'd get some open looks. I think driving with Austin and Seth and then kicking it out to Andre/Kelly for 3s is also an opportunity. I really just don't see Austin being able to get all the way to the rack and see midrange jumpers and kickouts as our best option unless Mason can make some post moves, but I honestly think that will be difficult. I expect Mason will get a lot of boards and putbacks, but I'm personally not that confident with Mason getting his points on the block, especially with Michigan likely doubling up on him in certain circumstances.

2.) Defending the three - this really will be a key to the game as Michigan thrives from three-point land and if they're falling, things can change in a hurry. We defended three well against TN, and actually didn't give them that many open looks, but Michigan's offensive is certainly a different animal. Sometimes Michigan is on fire and sometimes, things aren't falling, so there's certainly some luck involved as some of Michigan's players are streaky shooters - but they definitely have a fair number of shooters so our players will have to play on the perimeter which could lead us susceptible to ...

3.) Stopping backdoor cuts - Based on what I've seen, Michigan gets a lot of easy buckets with solid, smart basketball giving their big guys open layins down low. They have good spacing and screening action and are just a fundamentally sound basketball team. They certainly won't "wow" you with their high flying alley-oops, but they proved they can get it done against a quality team like Memphis. We CANNOT give up easy buckets and must make them earn it. Obviously, this is true for all opponents, but particular against Michigan where they rely less on the one-on-one than other teams.

4.) Containing Hardaway Jr. - Obviously, he's their best player and scorer. I expect we'll see some Thornton on him just to disrupt the flow of their offense a bit, but for the most part, it will be somebody else's job to defend him. We'll also need some helpside D to contain him and make other players beat us.

5.) Rebounding - I really think we need to win the rebounding battle to win this game, and I'm confident the Plumlees and Kelly can do that for us. Michigan really fights for the loose balls and has some size up front, but so do we. Second chance opportunities could certainly be the difference in this game. Especially, when those offensive boards and kickouts lead to open 3s which Curry/Dawkins/Rivers/Kelly can all hit.

I'm confident our players will play hard, and I believe we can certainly win the game, but it's definitely not a gimme. Michigan presents a unique challenge and we only had one day to prepare which is tough against schemes that Beilein shows.

Let's go Duke!
    Last edited by Bluedog; 11-22-2011 at 01:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    -According to what I read, they do a great job spacing the floor to set up their 3-point shooting game which they compliment with hard cuts through the D for slashing opportunities and/or kick outs. Said more simply, they run a nice, disciplined, highly-effective and efficient offense which often tries to put up 3 to your 2.
    I'd agree with everything except for the efficient part. They haven't been terribly efficient offensively this year. They haven't been terrible on offense, but they haven't been all that efficient.

They do space the floor well and they do attack hard off the dribble and set up layups or kickouts. But they haven't shot it at a very high success rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    I think we've got better players, especially on the front line, but it may be hard to press that advantage against a defense we aren't used to.
    Completely agree with this. They may or may not have the best individual player in Hardaway. But it's close. And we're better at the next several players.

The question will be whether their system/organization can make us play worse than we are and whether Hardaway/Burke can make their role players look better than they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    4.) Containing Hardaway Jr. - Obviously, he's their best player and scorer. I expect we'll see some Thornton on him just to disrupt the flow of their offense a bit, but for the most part, it will be somebody else's job to defend him. We'll also need some helpside D to contain him and make other players beat us.
    I agree with a lot of what you said, but I'd be surprised if Curry is primarily on Hardaway. He's a taller guard, so I'd expect one of our taller perimeter guys (Rivers or Dawkins) to draw that assignment. I'd expect Curry to guard their PG (Burke) primarily.

I agree with a lot of what you said, but I'd be surprised if Curry is primarily on Hardaway. He's a taller guard, so I'd expect one of our taller perimeter guys (Rivers or Dawkins) to draw that assignment. I'd expect Curry to guard their PG (Burke) primarily.
    Yeah, I edited my post after noticing that - my mistake. I agree with you. I think it will be a tough assignment for Rivers or Dawkins, but I'm sure they're up for the challenge.

This is the fourth time Miles has played against Michigan and their system. Hopefully, as captain, he can help prepare his teammates for what's coming. Especially since the other six returnees also played against Michigan last March. We may or may not win, but the lack of preparation for their system shouldn't be as critical as it would be if we'd never seen it before.

Hardaway

I bet Hardaway is better prepared for the crossover move this year:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xhw...daway-jr_sport

Nice early season matchup

Im not feeling Michigan as much as some people on here. Yes they beat a Memphis team that is pretty good but if you have watched Memphis play any, the coach just rolls the ball out there. A 1-3-1 zone is a tough defense for a concept like that. Duke can exploit this defense with a player like Rivers because he will be able to attack the gaps and draw help from the wings wich will leave a hot Dawkins or Curry open. This could be trouble for Michigan if we clean the glass because we are going to get open looks.

Im thinking we jump out to a big lead and go in the half up 10 or more. We will cool off in the 2nd and grind out a victory 71-62.

Quote Originally Posted by dukeballboy88 View Post
    Im not feeling Michigan as much as some people on here. Yes they beat a Memphis team that is pretty good but if you have watched Memphis play any, the coach just rolls the ball out there. A 1-3-1 zone is a tough defense for a concept like that. Duke can exploit this defense with a player like Rivers because he will be able to attack the gaps and draw help from the wings wich will leave a hot Dawkins or Curry open. This could be trouble for Michigan if we clean the glass because we are going to get open looks.
    I'd actually say Rivers is one of the question marks against a well-disciplined zone rather than a key to exploitation. He has a bit of a habit of not seeing the open man when driving. So while I'm sure he could get into the lane against a zone, I'm much less confident that he'll be useful in the drive-and-dish game.

Also, dribble penetration isn't usually the way to beat a zone. Quick, organized ball movement is. If you can move to open spots and successfully feed it quickly, you can get a zone to shift out of position. Dribbling into the zone actually plays to the advantage of the zone (unless you're very good at the pass part).

Zone

How much does Michigan play the 1-3-1? My memory is that the Wolverines had gotten away from that defense in recent years. I think they used once or twice against us last year, during the closing moments, and it was effective, but mostly as a change and a surprise. Did they play the 1-3-1 much against Memphis?

Any update on tipoff time?

Quote Originally Posted by feldspar View Post
    Any update on tipoff time?
    As of the moment there is 8:43 left in the Georgetown/Chaminade game 69-49 GT.
    Last edited by Indoor66; 11-22-2011 at 06:34 PM. Reason: are to is