Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Alex Murphy

Just listen to Airowe. The man is all over this.

Quote Originally Posted by COYS View Post
    My posts about Alex's capabilities were as much speculation based on his reputation as anything else. This all started when the poster I was originally responded to said he "hoped" that Alex would redshirt and I asked why, stating that Alex's skillset is unique on the team and might be useful this season, if the staff feels he is ready. Whether or not he is ready to contribute this year remains entirely up to the staff. I was merely imagining areas in which Alex might be able to help the team this season based on his reputation.

Also, while Alex is still a mystery, I think we've seen enough of him even in China to notice that he is particularly mobile and quick for a 6-8 guy so I don't think speculating that he has the ability or will be able to develop the ability to guard players in the 6-6 to 6-8 small forward mold is too outlandish.
    Although he has the potential to become a good player, I think it would be a good idea for him to readshirt. Forget about what you read in his BIO, he had 10 games last year where he didn't score more than 8 pts against fairly weak competition. He was the third leading scorer on his HS team over a 30 game season. This hardly qualifies him for freshman minutes at Duke.

Yes he is.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Corey View Post
    Well I was partly correct in my guess, but I left out one other reason. GoDuke!
    Last edited by -jk; 12-02-2011 at 02:06 PM. Reason: clarity

Didn't mean to feed confusion. I'm confused myself.

All I'm saying is not to expect to see Alex play during these games coming up.

Quote Originally Posted by dcar1985 View Post
    I don't get why its so hard to believe he's not ready to contribute to the team yet...too many people caught up in the whole Singler/Dunleavy 2.0 thing
    Couldn't agree more. He's nowhere close to being a Singler replacement. Maybe in a year or two, but certainly not now.

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    Didn't mean to feed confusion. I'm confused myself.

All I'm saying is not to expect to see Alex play during these games coming up.
    What a big mystery we have with the contributions of the freshman class overall this year.
    We know Austin will play regularly and be an impact player, though we don't know very precisely just how good he'll be by late season.
    We think MP3 will redshirt.

But Quinn Cook, Michael Gbinije, Alex Murphy?
    It's entirely possible that one of them pulls an Elliot Williams situation, enters the lineup well into the season, and becomes a major factor.
    It's possible that not one of the three approaches 10 minutes per game.
    I'll wager that even Coach K's crystal ball doesn't tell him how this aspect of team development works out.
    We just have to wait and see.

Alex, hope you get back to 100% soon and are able to play.

You know, you can make anybody look good with a highlight video or showing an issolated dunk here and there. Have a look at these videos (Murphy playing HS last year) and you tell me you think he's going to get minutes. Murphy is #5.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L88q9Od9RII
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xRQi...eature=related

Duke's Freshman class

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    What a big mystery we have with the contributions of the freshman class overall this year.
    We know Austin will play regularly and be an impact player, though we don't know very precisely just how good he'll be by late season.
    We think MP3 will redshirt.

But Quinn Cook, Michael Gbinije, Alex Murphy?
    It's entirely possible that one of them pulls an Elliot Williams situation, enters the lineup well into the season, and becomes a major factor.
    It's possible that not one of the three approaches 10 minutes per game.
    I'll wager that even Coach K's crystal ball doesn't tell him how this aspect of team development works out.
    We just have to wait and see.

Alex, hope you get back to 100% soon and are able to play.
    We have seen a glimpse of just how good Austin can be. I expect him to an impact player just as you stated. As for Quinn, I believe he will be a valuable player in our rotation but how many minutes he takes from Seth, Austin and Andre remains to be seen. Quinn seems to be a pretty good on the ball defender but not a great one at this point in his career. I do believe he will get better. Michael Gbinijie seems to "get it" and is not intimidated this early in his career and could begin to see minutes at the sf. For sure MP3 is redshirting barring any injuries to our bigs. As for Alex do we know how many minutes will be available for him. If he's not going to see much action now, how do we expect him to get many minutes once ACC play begins. Coach K will more than likely go with his top 7-8 players. Someone's minutes is going down. what does that leave for Alex? Is it better for him to redshirt? Remember he normally would be playing his senior year in high school. All I know is that Coach K has it under control and things will settle into play soon. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    The tricky question I see is that these guys will all be back next year, with the possiblity of Shabazz Muhammad joining them? I guess that's more a thought for next year.
    This is partially speculation, but I would guess Murphy will at least have a shot at getting minutes at the 4 next year based on height and skill set. Obviously K seems to like the "face-up mobile 4" model (e.g. Singler, Battier, etc.). I'm not sure if Murphy will be capable of holding down that position next year in terms of strength and so forth, particularly given all of our limited knowledge about him, but it seems to me like that's a logical solution to our potentially crowded backcourt/wing next year. Plus I'm assuming Mason is gone after this season, so there will be holes to fill in the front court. A 4/5 combo of Murphy/Kelly would be one hell of a "mobile big man" front court, although potentially a bit lacking on the defensive/rebounding end. Of course, this is all pretty far down the road and in a state of flux with the Parker/Shabazz recruiting being up in the air, but it's fun to talk about anyway.

I guess I'm glad to see a lot of folks generating discussion on a guy that hasn't played.

I'm sure the staff has its reasons for keeping him handy on the bench.
    Lets say he isn't ready- health, strength, understanding the playbook... whatever.

What difference does it make? If we have an INJ (God forbid) why not have him ready to go? Available.
    Declaring the red-shirt NOW; is to what advantage? If we CAN wait, why not do so?

Quote Originally Posted by wilko View Post
    I guess I'm glad to see a lot of folks generating discussion on a guy that hasn't played.

Lets say he isn't ready- health, strength, understanding the playbook... whatever.

What difference does it make? If we have an INJ (God forbid) why not have him ready to go? Available.
    Declaring the red-shirt NOW; is to what advantage? If we CAN wait, why not do so?
    I've wondered whether there is a deadline to declare or not. Can we go through the whole season and, if he has not played, declare one?

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I've wondered whether there is a deadline to declare or not. Can we go through the whole season and, if he has not played, declare one?
    I'm pretty sure we could. My understanding of the rule is you have five years to play four seasons, and playing in a game means you played that season (unless you have an injury redshirt, which I think is a different rule). So, if you don't play in a game, logically you'd still have four years of eligibility as long as you use them in the next four years.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    I'm pretty sure we could. My understanding of the rule is you have five years to play four seasons, and playing in a game means you played that season (unless you have an injury redshirt, which I think is a different rule). So, if you don't play in a game, logically you'd still have four years of eligibility as long as you use them in the next four years.
    What is the reason that we would go ahead and declare MP3 a red-shirt, as opposed to waiting to see what happens? Is a declaration irrevokable for the season, and/or does it somehow open up a spot for a walk-on?

Curious.

Redshirting

What is the reason that we would go ahead and declare MP3 a red-shirt, as opposed to waiting to see what happens? Is a declaration irrevokable for the season, and/or does it somehow open up a spot for a walk-on?

Curious.
    No need to declare or apply, except in the case of a player who has played a little and then seeks a medical redshirt.

I think the Marshall redshirt story came from his high school coach. Duke didn't declare anything, as far as I know. MP3 could still play, if needed.

Curious.
    I don't think we need to open up a spot for walk-on's. We dress 13 players I believe. I noticed at the games in Maui that several of the teams dressed as many as 17 players. I know you are limited in scholarships, but I do not think we are close to the limit (if there is one) on how many we can dress out (i.e., walk-on's).

As far as there being an advantage to make a formal declaration regarding MP3, the only thing I could imagine is that it would make a statement for future recruits. Not sure if that would be an advantage or not, I guess it would depend on the individual recruit and the position. May be an advantage for a guard that wants to have a quality big man, or might be a dissadvantage if we are going after another big... may not matter at all for all I know.

I like what we have on this team...I think redshirting MP3 (and Murphy if he coaching staff thinks that is best for whatever the reason) is a luxury Duke can afford given the depth on this team...A high school basketball coach buddy of mine who works at the Duke camps is really high on both Murphy and MP3. He sees Murphy as a very good athlete with a lot of well developed skills...He sees MP3 as pretty athletic for his size, hard working, and smart. That said, Duke has so much depth without these two players it may make sense for their development to wait till next year to play...

I believe Silent G and Cook are going to carve out more and more time as the season progresses. They are very, very good freshmen and add ingredients to the team that others do not possess.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Corey View Post
    I have learned over the years of reading these boards, if you want some real news, you search for Airowe.

Quote Originally Posted by wilko View Post

I don't think anyone is suggesting that Duke declare Murphy a redshirt now (just like no one is suggesting we declare Marshall a redshirt now). Those decisions can be made at the end of the season provided the player qualifies for the redshirt (i.e., doesn't play). The discussion has been with regard to whether or not he'll play sparingly this year or whether or not Duke should continue to not play him to maintain the possibility of a redshirt.

This is all assuming that if Murphy were to play he'd only play sparingly in a manner similar to Gbinije prior to the OSU game. That's the key unknown here. If Murphy comes out and proves he's ready to contribute 15-20 valuable minutes per game then he should play. But the debate has been whether it makes sense to play him sparingly or hold him out to allow the possibility of a redshirt.

He's going to redshirt.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    He's going to redshirt.
    Source?