Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Alex Murphy

Quote Originally Posted by DukeHoopsGuru View Post
    It would seem to me if there was ever a night to play tonight would have been it. I think Duke is redshirting Murph, and I hope they do.
    Out of curiosity, why do you hope he's red-shirted? He's a talented player with good athleticism. There's a pretty good chance he doesn't stay four years, anyway. Plus, as tonight's game showed, our small rotation in the 1-3 spots might not cut it. Gbinije was good tonight, but Alex might also be good. In fact, Alex + Gbinije might have been useful tonight, especially with Ryan on the bench. At 6-8 and super mobile, Alex can guard players Ryan can't and still has enough size to be a small-ball 4 (whereas Gbinije probably doesn't). If the staff does redshirt him, I'm sure they'll be making the right call, but I don't really see the benefit unless they are certain he won't ever be needed, all season long.

Quote Originally Posted by COYS View Post
    At 6-8 and super mobile, Alex can guard players Ryan can't and still has enough size to be a small-ball 4 (whereas Gbinije probably doesn't).
    He only played in China and CTC and the exhibition games, right? I didn't see anything in those games that suggests he can guard players Ryan can't. Maybe eventually, but I'm not convinced yet at this stage.

As a player I think it's best that he does red shirt and learn. Why waste a year playing sparingly?

Quote Originally Posted by Gorilla View Post
    As a player I think it's best that he does red shirt and learn. Why waste a year playing sparingly?
    Why waste a year redshirting when you could be playing?

I don't understand how a concussion sent him from competing for a starting spot to the redshirt watchlist, first of all. He's a 6'8 athlete who can shoot the ball and get to the rim.

But anyway... do we really see him staying in Durham for five years? I'll be happy enough if we get him for four, counting this one...

I wouldn't be shocked to see Alex Murphy become the next Elliot Williams. Remember Williams played very little in the first half of his freshman year and then out of the blue seemingly he was starting and played well. He gave the team fresh legs and a burst of energy. Now I don't believe Alex is as athletic and he can't play the same role but he could have the same funtion-- give the team a different look. I wouldn't be shocked that if all of a sudden one day he starts playing regular minutes. Just a theory and I have no basis with which to support it, just a feeling.
    http://www.dukesportsblog.com/

Twitter: @MikeKlineDSB

Facebook: Duke Sports Blog

Quote Originally Posted by mkline09 View Post
    I wouldn't be shocked to see Alex Murphy become the next Elliot Williams. Remember Williams played very little in the first half of his freshman year and then out of the blue seemingly he was starting and played well. He gave the team fresh legs and a burst of energy. Now I don't believe Alex is as athletic and he can't play the same role but he could have the same funtion-- give the team a different look. I wouldn't be shocked that if all of a sudden one day he starts playing regular minutes. Just a theory and I have no basis with which to support it, just a feeling.
    Had not thought of that, but it would be nice.

Has anyone asked K at a press conference about whether Murphy has been cleared to play?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    Why waste a year redshirting when you could be playing?
    Yes, but, IIRC, Murphy was supposed to be in high school (or maybe a PG year) this year. He decided to come to Duke because he thought he could learn more and improve his game more than if he stayed in high school. While you may be right that it's unlikely he will stay 5 years, in which case a redshirt would be pointless, it may also be true that he is not necessarily in a hurry to get on the court if he thinks he is learning and growing in practice, and if he has (or the doctors have) lingering concerns about his concussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    He only played in China and CTC and the exhibition games, right? I didn't see anything in those games that suggests he can guard players Ryan can't. Maybe eventually, but I'm not convinced yet at this stage.
    Let me put it this way, he has the ability to guard players Ryan can't even if he hasn't shown it yet. I am in no way suggesting that Ryan be benched. In fact, I think Ryan is one of our most important players, last night notwithstanding. All I'm saying is that Alex has a skill set that is unique on the team and may very well be advantageous to the team THIS season.

Quote Originally Posted by COYS View Post
    Let me put it this way, he has the ability to guard players Ryan can't even if he hasn't shown it yet.
    Not doubting, just curious as to what supports comments like this. Alex is like Big Foot to me -- never seen him, but the tales I hear are off the chart.

Again, not doubting. I'm looking for info/sources from you and others. Thanks! OPK

If a player is not able to edge into our 8-10 man rotation as a freshman, I doubt he will go pro early. IIRC, all of our guys who went pro early were playing a lot of freshman minutes and were generally seen as stars. The other guys would take one look at Deng, Brand, Jay Williams, etc., as October freshman, and they'd anoint them as future NBA starters. Occasionally, a Dunleavy will pop up, but one reason he wasn't an obvious early entrant is because the rest of his team was so good and he then got a lot of press in the tournament. As it stands, we don't have anybody on this team who is an obvious NBA starter. Sure, Rivers probably will be, but he will need to develop himself considerably beyond a great driver with so-so defense, passing, judgment, and outside shooting. Mason might be as well, but I wouldn't bet the house on it. Last night was sobering and reminded me that we simply aren't as good as the teams with the really elite talent; we do have near-elite talent all over the place, however, so there's no reason we can't win 30 games and compete for the Final Four. I don't care if Carolina loses 5 or 6 games between now and our games with them, they should still be favored based on their talent level alone.

For Murphy (who had planned to finish hs as a 5th yr senior), I'd say that practicing for a year with the team is better for his development than crushing New England preppies for a few months, and while they had denied the redshirt was planned, it makes sense. Similarly, MP3 is not so good that he would leave early. He will have a much greater impact as a 5th year senior than as a freshman 11th man. And it's nice problem to decide to redshirt two McDonald's-AA-level freshman (even if a reason one made it and the other would have is partly because of the Duke/Plumleebrother/skin color stuff)

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Not doubting, just curious as to what supports comments like this. Alex is like Big Foot to me -- never seen him, but the tales I hear are off the chart.

Again, not doubting. I'm looking for info/sources from you and others. Thanks! OPK
    This. Couldn't agree more.

The calls for Alex Murphy sound eerily like the inflated expectations often aired on this board for a Top-25 recruit who is going to make a huge impact and start his entire freshman year. Little basis and some grasping at clouds.

I'm not taking anything away from Alex, and I'm very excited to see him suit up and play. But the calls for him to play and make a difference on this team are largely unfounded and have very little supporting evidence. The coaches gave him some praise pre-season, yes, and a taller wing is arguably our biggest weakness. But he didn't play particularly well in China (IMO), has zero regular season game experience to this point, is an early arrival on campus, and is playing on a deep team.

Love to see him play. Game changer? Jury's still out.

- Chillin

PS - And from a purely fan perspective, non-game changers are more helpful redshirting so they can improve into game changers. From a coaching/player perspective, this is nowhere near the case. Doesn't make either perspective incorrect, just different.

Quote Originally Posted by mkline09 View Post
    Perhaps, except Elliot Williams averaged 16 minutes a game in his first 7 games. It was really only the first half of the ACC season (a little less than that, actually) that he played very little.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Perhaps, except Elliot Williams averaged 16 minutes a game in his first 7 games. It was really only the first half of the ACC season (a little less than that, actually) that he played very little.
    Good point on Williams. It seems to me that all of the red-shirt talk was initiated on this board, and from what I have heard from those close with the team they have no interest in red-shirting him. I agree with the posters that have said they would be happy if Alex stays his entire eligibility. He's a great player who seemingly, before his concussion, was going to be the 7-8 man rotation mix.

Obviously this is somewhat of a bigfoot-esque comment, but I expect Alex to be playing 15+ minutes in January and going forward.

GoodmanCBS Jeff Goodman
    Most likely will redshirt. RT @crazietalker: @GoodmanCBS Duke does have a big wing on the roster - he goes by the name of Alex Murphy.
    39 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply
    For what it's worth...

Not sure what the health status of Alex is, but a concussion can be a nasty bugger. My son took a fall and hit his head playing basketball his junior year of high school (over 2 years ago) and he is still having issues from it... at times serious issues, like headache, insomnia, dizziness, etc.. he is being followed by a neurologist and seems to be improving, but it is a much slower process than any of us would like.

So, having said that, Alex may appear to be doing well "physically", but he may not have fully recovered from the knock on the head.

Has there been an offical update to his status recently??

Quote Originally Posted by Starter View Post
    For what it's worth...
    Was just aboot to post that. This decision, same as in the discussion of Marshall redshirting, can be made after the fact, if Alex does not wind up recovering and playing this season. Would be a shame. He looked ready this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Was just aboot to post that. This decision, same as in the discussion of Marshall redshirting, can be made after the fact, if Alex does not wind up recovering and playing this season. Would be a shame. He looked ready this summer.

I really hope if he is eventually redshirted its not because of his health...but I do have to disagree that at any time outside of the reports of him playing well in practice did he actually look ready to contribute.

Alex's Status

[QUOTE=oldnavy;532954]Not sure what the health status of Alex is, but a concussion can be a nasty bugger. [QUOTE]

I agree. As I said in an earlier post, his medical condition may require that redshirt be a continuing option.

[QUOTE=westwall;533104][QUOTE=oldnavy;532954]Not sure what the health status of Alex is, but a concussion can be a nasty bugger.

I agree. As I said in an earlier post, his medical condition may require that redshirt be a continuing option.
    Alex has been dressed out for all 8 games, correct? If he were that bad, he would not even dress, in my opinion. I'm assuming that he has missed enough practice time to not be considered game ready, rather than having cobwebs still. But what do I know. I guess we'll here something from someone who knows something before long.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post

My posts about Alex's capabilities were as much speculation based on his reputation as anything else. This all started when the poster I was originally responded to said he "hoped" that Alex would redshirt and I asked why, stating that Alex's skillset is unique on the team and might be useful this season, if the staff feels he is ready. Whether or not he is ready to contribute this year remains entirely up to the staff. I was merely imagining areas in which Alex might be able to help the team this season based on his reputation.

Also, while Alex is still a mystery, I think we've seen enough of him even in China to notice that he is particularly mobile and quick for a 6-8 guy so I don't think speculating that he has the ability or will be able to develop the ability to guard players in the 6-6 to 6-8 small forward mold is too outlandish.