Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Alex Murphy

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    From my understanding, there is no intention of red-shirting Murphy. They have not had any real practice time since he was cleared from the injury, which is likely why he will not play in Maui. I expect we will see him back out there in action in the December games. It would greatly help to have Murph as a backup to Andre at the 3 spot.

He will be back out there soon. Concussions are not treated lightly these days.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePublisher View Post
    So you don't think a redshirt year at Duke will be better for his development than another year in high school? A year of practicing with Duke v playing in HS....
    I remember hearing about him redshirting as a possibility over the summer.
    You heard about the possibility here, but I don't think anyone close to the program thought that there was ever a chance for a redshirt. Either way, the decision doesn't need to be made now. If coach K things their play will help us win in a particular instance, then he'll play them without regard to "burning the redshirt." If we get to the end of the year and one or both have not played, then they can stay and play an extra year if they want to stick around for grad school.

I don't K would ever purposefully lessen the strength of one team to maybe improve a team 4 years down the road. If it happens, it happens.
    1200. DDMF.

Talking Alex's Status

Alex's concussion may have been more serious than generally assumed. Based on appearances at Maui, the seating order -which has remained static- puts Alex above only Todd and Marshall and below Gbinije, Hairston, Cook, Miles and Tyler in terms of possible subs. Knowing K's preference for 7-8 man rotations, that increases (but does mandate) the possibility of a redshirt, and if so a medical redshirt. That may change, but for now a redshirt year remains an option.

Alex Murphy

I have not heard anything lately about the status of Alex Murphy. Is he still injured? Is Coach K planning on redshirting him along with Marshall? I can see where Alex could get some time on the court and help out the team with his size and skill at the three position. I do not know where he stands as far as his defensive ability at this point however. Just putting it out there to see if anybody has a clue or idea on his current status.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesfrommaiden View Post
    I have not heard anything lately about the status of Alex Murphy. Is he still injured? Is Coach K planning on redshirting him along with Marshall? I can see where Alex could get some time on the court and help out the team with his size and skill at the three position. I do not know where he stands as far as his defensive ability at this point however. Just putting it out there to see if anybody has a clue or idea on his current status.
    Check out this thread:

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/...31-Alex-Murphy

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    From my understanding, there is no intention of red-shirting Murphy. They have not had any real practice time since he was cleared from the injury, which is likely why he will not play in Maui. I expect we will see him back out there in action in the December games. It would greatly help to have Murph as a backup to Andre at the 3 spot.

He will be back out there soon. Concussions are not treated lightly these days.
    He likely just needs to get in the groove of things after having sat out for a while.

Threads merged...

-jk

After the OSU game, Duke should have a number of opportunities to get playing time for Murphy, Gbinijie, Cook and Thornton.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    After the OSU game, Duke should have a number of opportunities to get playing time for Murphy, Gbinijie, Cook and Thornton.
    It's been a heavily frontloaded season, with a nice break in Dec for practice and rebalancing the team. As always, I look forward to watching K tinker.

-jk

Apart from a general desire to see all of our players do well, I don't totally understand the desire to insert new players into a rotation that's improving rapidly, and collectively earning its minutes.

For whatever reason, the coaches are not putting him in the game. And we're in pretty good shape.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I don't think you meant to include TT in that list - he's already solidly in the rotation as the first guard off the bench.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    I don't think you meant to include TT in that list - he's already solidly in the rotation as the first guard off the bench.
    Agreed, Hairston has been the guy just outside the rotation, not Tyler. Josh hasn't played poorly, but he's only been in 5 of the 7.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    Agreed, Hairston has been the guy just outside the rotation, not Tyler. Josh hasn't played poorly, but he's only been in 5 of the 7.
    I am a HUGE Josh fan, and his time will come. Right now Miles, Mason and Ryan are (rightfully) getting the minutes. But as many have said on the Ryan thread, part of playing at Duke (especially those with big bodies) is working your way up through the years. I thing Josh will have a big impact this year, and can be a monster over the following two. I really like his game and the attitude he projects both on and off the court.

Josh, stay positive and stay in the weight room!

Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    More to the point, the only player named Thorton has the middle name of Freakin.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Wow, where have you been? Glad to see you're still around.
    Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    I'm certainly not sure. The word was that he was cleared to practice last Monday, so you'd think he's healthy, but Duke hasn't had a lot of practice time during that period, what with 3 games and a long airplane ride, so he probably isn't back into the flow yet.
    Thanks guys. Been reading you guys still quite a bit (well the guys who know what they are talking about) but haven't had time to post in a while. Got married, changed jobs, moved, and started grad school in the last year. Good to be back, I'll try to post some more soon.

Concerning Alex - I was probably more excited about him (aside from AR) after China than any other freshman. I really think he can give us a swing man that is big enough to stretch the floor. He can also shoot and he ran really well in China and Dubai. I think if/when he gets completely healthy he will be a factor backing up Dre and possibly covering some of the bigger stretch 3-men in the ACC.

Been reading this thread for a few days. I'm in favor of a redshirt, which still seems possible. Duke's already in the middle of developing a consistent rotation after losing 3 starters. Adding a player into mix who is going to play limited minutes isn't worth the benefit of having the kid learn in practice. I am 100% in favor of redshirting Alex Murphy. Dre graduated a year early helped Duke because he excelled at one niche, shooting. I truly believe Andre Dawkins saved Duke's season when he hit that 3 to end the half against Baylor. Alex doesn't have a superb skill that playing 5 minutes a game will significantly enhance Duke's chances of winning a title. And age aside, the kid went from being a high school junior to college. Let him mature physically and learn the game. Plumlee, Sheed, and Alex is becomes quite the incoming class in a weird way.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeHoopsGuru View Post
    Been reading this thread for a few days. I'm in favor of a redshirt, which still seems possible. Duke's already in the middle of developing a consistent rotation after losing 3 starters. Adding a player into mix who is going to play limited minutes isn't worth the benefit of having the kid learn in practice. I am 100% in favor of redshirting Alex Murphy. Dre graduated a year early helped Duke because he excelled at one niche, shooting. I truly believe Andre Dawkins saved Duke's season when he hit that 3 to end the half against Baylor. Alex doesn't have a superb skill that playing 5 minutes a game will significantly enhance Duke's chances of winning a title. And age aside, the kid went from being a high school junior to college. Let him mature physically and learn the game. Plumlee, Sheed, and Alex is becomes quite the incoming class in a weird way.
    Alex is not going to be redshirted. You will see him on the court again in the December games...

If Murphy isn't completely healthy why the hell was he doing a flip off some rocks in that Duke Blue Planet video from Maui? Thought I'd ask. Can't wait to seem him on the court.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Pappa View Post
    Thanks guys. Been reading you guys still quite a bit (well the guys who know what they are talking about) but haven't had time to post in a while. Got married, changed jobs, moved, and started grad school in the last year. Good to be back, I'll try to post some more soon.

Concerning Alex - I was probably more excited about him (aside from AR) after China than any other freshman. I really think he can give us a swing man that is big enough to stretch the floor. He can also shoot and he ran really well in China and Dubai. I think if/when he gets completely healthy he will be a factor backing up Dre and possibly covering some of the bigger stretch 3-men in the ACC.
    Wondering when you would resurface. What up Big Pappa! Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Pappa View Post

Welcome back and congrats on the marriage. Look forward to having you posting regularly again.

It would seem to me if there was ever a night to play tonight would have been it. I think Duke is redshirting Murph, and I hope they do.