Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Alex Murphy

Nice feature on Alex on a recent Inside Basketball with Duke's Coach K
    (it was on DirecTV channel 646 Saturday 1/7 at 9:30 AM, which may put it behind what is seen in the Triangle)

Basically seemed all good.
    Showed Alex lifting weights, talked for several minutes about how he liked Duke, progress so far, and then setback from injury.
    Sounded like almost definite redshirt this year.
    Coach K talked very positively about Alex; gets along well with Alex's family (there is a 13-yr old at home who may be the biggest of the bunch)
    Coach K mentioned that Alex is the type of player who could be a 4-year starter and an All-Conference selection.

Current goals seem to involve strength and conditioning; just general experience of practice and learning.

Edit to note: I see airowe's link contains much of this information
    My take was that Alex and Duke seem like a great fit

I saw the same program recently (it's on Saturdays at 9:30 somewhere in the 300's on the Time Warner cable system in the Cincinnati area). I definitely came away feeling positive about the situation. There were nice comparisons of Alex to Dunleavy and even some shots of Dunleavy working with Alex at practice. Alex stated pretty clearly that he thought Duke was a great fit for him.

Hope one of our guys turns out to be half as good as Dunleavy.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
    Hope one of our guys turns out to be half as good as Dunleavy.
    Top half or bottom half?

Left half or right?

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Top half or bottom half?

Left half or right?
    Junior half.

Good article I saw linked from Airowe's twitter feed: http://fayobserver.com/articles/2012...824?sac=Sports

Apparently Alex re-introduced the coaches with the idea of redshirting shortly after Thanksgiving.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Good article I saw linked from Airowe's twitter feed: http://fayobserver.com/articles/2012...824?sac=Sports

Apparently Alex re-introduced the coaches with the idea of redshirting shortly after Thanksgiving.
    I love the ending:
    An easier conclusion to reach: Murphy won't be an overwhelmed freshman when next season begins. A year removed from high school, he can't afford to be.

Krzyzewski has told him as much.

"He said," Murphy revealed, "you better be ready to go next year."
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    I love the ending:
    I hope that both he and Marshall are ready to make big impacts next year. We'll need them to do so if we lose Mason and Rivers along with Miles.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I hope that both he and Marshall are ready to make big impacts next year. We'll need them to do so if we lose Mason and Rivers along with Miles.
    I hope and expect that a year training with the team and getting stronger will have them ready to be solid contributors next year alongside seniors Kelly, Dawkins and Curry.
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”

Dunleavy?

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    I hope and expect that a year training with the team and getting stronger will have them ready to be solid contributors next year alongside seniors Kelly, Dawkins and Curry.
    Maybe the Dunleavy comparisons mean Alex is still growing taller! We can hope, right?

Dunleavy?

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Maybe the Dunleavy comparisons mean Alex is still growing taller! We can hope, right?
    As Coach K made the comparison between Alex and Mike, the height subject is something he discussed. I didn't realize how much Dunleavy had grown while he was Duke. They might have their fingers crossed for some of the same with Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Ggallagher View Post
    As Coach K made the comparison between Alex and Mike, the height subject is something he discussed. I didn't realize how much Dunleavy had grown while he was Duke. They might have their fingers crossed for some of the same with Alex.
    He skyrocketed. He came into Duke 6-6 and left almost 6-10.

Quote Originally Posted by Oriole Way View Post
    He skyrocketed. He came into Duke 6-6 and left almost 6-10.
    That's like a cinder block and a half!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    I believe the Duke training staff has Alex on the same training program and along with strength increases is expecting height increases as well, perhaps one, maybe even two cinder blocks.